Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 1, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #15,886 of 18,459
A friend of mine auditioned a pair of these and he was absolutely blown away by the sound, however he said that, it's ridiculously heavy and it causes him neck pain after 5 minutes of use.

Anyone else bothered by this and what can be done, if he's going to purchase one.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #15,887 of 18,459
Most of us have gotten used to the weight, however it usually does take a bit longer than 5 minutes to do so.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #15,888 of 18,459
While he waits for them to arrive, have him balance a textbook on his head to condition his neck 
smile.gif

I don't find them very heavy at all anymore, and wear them for three hours stretches no problem. They clamp hard at first which takes some of the weight off the top of your head, and by the time you're used to them the clamping has eased up. I coil the excess cable up in my lap rather than let it hang, which I think helps with the perceived weight. Frequent breaks will help a lot, every half hour at first and later every hour.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #15,889 of 18,459
Quote:
While he waits for them to arrive, have him balance a textbook on his head to condition his neck 
smile.gif

I don't find them very heavy at all anymore, and wear them for three hours stretches no problem. They clamp hard at first which takes some of the weight off the top of your head, and by the time you're used to them the clamping has eased up. I coil the excess cable up in my lap rather than let it hang, which I think helps with the perceived weight. Frequent breaks will help a lot, every half hour at first and later every hour.

It seems that keeping your neck and spine in line is key, such as when wearing the LCD-2.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #15,890 of 18,459

Quote:
A friend of mine auditioned a pair of these and he was absolutely blown away by the sound, however he said that, it's ridiculously heavy and it causes him neck pain after 5 minutes of use.

Anyone else bothered by this and what can be done, if he's going to purchase one.

I have arthritis in my neck and the LCDs can cause pain.  There is no way around it. The things are heavy and when you have any kind of arthritis or disc degeneration that extra weight pivoting on your neck can become problematic.  

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #15,891 of 18,459

Quote:

Same here sometimes. At least LCD-2's give less neck problems with me then HE-500.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #15,892 of 18,459

Quote:
I have arthritis in my neck and the LCDs can cause pain.  There is no way around it. The things are heavy and when you have any kind of arthritis or disc degeneration that extra weight pivoting on your neck can become problematic.  

I know you're 'monogamous' with your LCD-2, and to be honest I couldn't name a better headphone currently in production, but maybe it's worth to buy a lighter one to listen music with on the 'bad neck days', WarriorAnt? T1 works very well for that with me.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #15,893 of 18,459
so you mean WA 6 SE is just bad for LCD 2 (rev.1)? nothing would make any improvement at all?...

FWIW, that does NOT match my experience. I think the WA6SE sounds great with R1 LCD's. I do prefer the 6de7 driver tubes, but they are resonably priced.

I'm selling mine (it's in the classifieds) , but not because it didn't exceed expectations (it did), but rather because I acquired a Red Wine Audio balanced Isabellina ($3500 at retail) and can't justify keeping 2 kilobuck amps.

I enjoy the WA6SE/LCD-2 combination much more than the Lyr (Mullard)/LCD-2 combo. That says much, because I like the latter combo a good amount as well.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #15,894 of 18,459

Quote:
I know you're 'monogamous' with your LCD-2, and to be honest I couldn't name a better headphone currently in production, but maybe it's worth to buy a lighter one to listen music with on the 'bad neck days', WarriorAnt? T1 works very well for that with me.

Or look into getting custom IEM's. It's been awhile since I had the JH Audio 13Pro's but I'd say it would be a toss up which I prefer but the new 3A system is said to take the 16Pro's to another level. The 13Pro's were like my holy grail of phones but they were aggravating TMJ related pain in my left ear. After over six months struggling to get the fit right it became apparent the only option was to get new impressions which is quite costly for me because I was only able to find one audiologist here that would do them so it would mean a trip to the mainland. I wouldn't have been opposed to that but I was fairly sure going any deeper was only going to aggravate the problems in my ear further so I finally had to give in and sell them at a significant loss. The LCD-2's were my consolation prize, not a bad consolation prize but I'd still prefer I high-end IEM because I like how they can pretty much disappear and you get great isolation without all the drawbacks of most full-sized closed phones.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #15,895 of 18,459
An Edition 8 would also be an excellent compliment: it's light, closed and has similar driving requirements as the LCD-2. Unless your amp is Lyr then forget it.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #15,896 of 18,459
I would like to get a good IEM at some point. How does the bass in a good IEM compare to the bass in the LCD-2?

Quote:
Or look into getting custom IEM's. It's been awhile since I had the JH Audio 13Pro's but I'd say it would be a toss up which I prefer but the new 3A system is said to take the 16Pro's to another level. The 13Pro's were like my holy grail of phones but they were aggravating TMJ related pain in my left ear. After over six months struggling to get the fit right it became apparent the only option was to get new impressions which is quite costly for me because I was only able to find one audiologist here that would do them so it would mean a trip to the mainland. I wouldn't have been opposed to that but I was fairly sure going any deeper was only going to aggravate the problems in my ear further so I finally had to give in and sell them at a significant loss. The LCD-2's were my consolation prize, not a bad consolation prize but I'd still prefer I high-end IEM because I like how they can pretty much disappear and you get great isolation without all the drawbacks of most full-sized closed phones.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #15,897 of 18,459

Quote:
I would like to get a good IEM at some point. How does the bass in a good IEM compare to the bass in the LCD-2?

The bass on the 13Pro's was impressive, like the LCD-2's it's fairly flat but has an intentional boost in the sub-bass which serves to give more presence. There was no bloat or muddiness and it was seamlessly integrated, detail throughout was up there with the best I've heard. My only gripe was some recordings lacked a bit of mid-bass impact that I was used to hearing which may be due to a flatter frequency response or it may have had to do with my fit issues. The 16Pro's are said to have more bass which supposedly makes them a better choice for the 3A system where you can tailor the bass to get a response closer to the 13's if you wish.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #15,898 of 18,459

Quote:

@WarriorAnt: To further this, have you tried/considered IEMs? I see that JH Audio and Ultimate Ears make some fine products.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #15,899 of 18,459
Quote:

I didn't see this when writing the above post.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #15,900 of 18,459
Burn-in update: On a steady diet of pink noise, my LCD-2 rev2 is gradually becoming smoother and smoother sounding. There's perhaps 23-24 hours total play time on it now and I'm looking forward to experiencing the refinements as time progresses. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back