Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9,844 of 18,459
Keeping the Burson then? 
smile.gif

It's quite a good match, IMO.

Quote:
Put myself on the waiting list a few days ago. The wait begins..

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9,845 of 18,459
I've been having a hard time evaluating my LCD-2s. At first I loved them; then I felt something was missing compared to what I heard 2 years ago at RMAF.  I thought it might be that my amps were not right; then I thought maybe it was just that these headphones didn't match my preferences for sound, then I thought it might be my cables (I was using Audio Note AN-Vx ICs for headphone cables. Then I heard about Norse cables. They looked interesting in terms of their construction: “twisted lutz”. And the price was right. Why not?  Well, I hooked them up a while back and plugged them into my BC SBH and let them play for...a month or more.  I never this amp off because it has this huge cap pack between the PS and the input and output stages. Tonight i was listening to The Nationals Album, and I figured it was time to listen in using the LCDs-2. The moment I heard the opening lines of Cardinal, and it was deja vu all over again -- totally lifelike, transparent, detailed down to licking of the lips, and, finally, musically satisfying. I'm not exactly sure the cables are responsible for this re-awakening.  It could be all in my brain. But the cables are the only thing that changed. The cables and the LCD-2s are keepers.  And to think i was ready to sell them, just a month ago.
I've been having a hard time evaluating my LCD-2s. At first I loved them; then I felt something was missing compared to what I heard 2 years ago at RMAF.  I thought it might be that my amps were not right; then I thought maybe it was just that these headphones didn't match my preferences for sound, then I thought it might be my cables (I was using Audio Note AN-Vx ICs for headphone cables. Then I heard about Norse cables. They looked interesting in terms of their construction: “twisted lutz”. And the price was right. Why not?  Well, I hooked them up a while back and plugged them into my BC SBH and let them play for...a month or more.  I never this amp off because it has this huge cap pack between the PS and the input and output stages. Tonight i was listening to The Nationals Album, and I figured it was time to listen in using the LCDs-2. The moment I heard the opening lines of Cardinal, and it was deja vu all over again -- totally lifelike, transparent, detailed down to licking of the lips, and, finally, musically satisfying. I'm not exactly sure the cables are responsible for this re-awakening.  It could be all in my brain. But the cables are the only thing that changed. The cables and the LCD-2s are keepers.  And to think i was ready to sell them, just a month ago.

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #9,846 of 18,459

Quote:

I know what you mean about deja vu, I got the same feeling when reading your impressions. I guess the LCD-2 have that effect?

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #9,847 of 18,459

Quote:
I know what you mean about deja vu, I got the same feeling when reading your impressions. I guess the LCD-2 have that effect?

Anyone see a pattern here? lol

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #9,849 of 18,459
There is a direct correlation between a headphone's perceived performance and the wellness, as well as the mood, of the listener. The better the headphone, the more profound the correlation.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #9,850 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
jamato8 said:

Anyone see a pattern here? lol

Yeah, me...
I'm getting deja vu all over again.

I don't want to re-iterate myself, so - I'll say it again:

Yeah, me...
I'm getting deja vu all over again.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #9,851 of 18,459
The Burson LCD-2 combo is really solid.  Very sweet.  The more I listen, the more I like.  

I'm pretty pleased with how the DACPort drives it, too.  While the bass is lacking, it's remarkably coherent, spacious and resolving given that it's a 6 oz. cigar-sized tube.  Enjoying some AES Dana on my portable rig right now, wonderfully atmospheric.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 25, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #9,852 of 18,459

Quote:

The Norse cable is the first aftermarket headphone cable I ever invested in...for the price, the improvements I gained was on par with the improvements I gained with a set of 1k interconnects, I auditioned heaps of IC cables and felt that it was worth the 1k that those cables improved my system...the Norse cable gave the same degree of improvement, but its price is under 200 bucks for a limited time.

Whilst in the bigger scheme of things, these subjective changes whilst not at all large, is small enough to change the tilt from good to wow.  Or maybe its all in my head :p.  However, there is no denying for me, the Norse cable is purdiest headphone cable ever.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #9,853 of 18,459
Did you get the 4 or 8 conductor version? 

Does the difference in the number of conductors make a noticeable difference in the sound?

Does the Norse cable make the sound of the LCD-2 noticeably brighter / and more open?

I'm considering the RAL Cryo-Silver cable to obtain a brighter, more open, airy sound - since it did a great job of doing that with the HD650's. 

Just wondering if the Norse cable does that?  Since it's copper, I'm a bit skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back