Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #9,856 of 18,459

Quote:
Did you get the 4 or 8 conductor version? 

Does the difference in the number of conductors make a noticeable difference in the sound?

Does the Norse cable make the sound of the LCD-2 noticeably brighter / and more open?

I'm considering the RAL Cryo-Silver cable to obtain a brighter, more open, airy sound - since it did a great job of doing that with the HD650's. 

Just wondering if the Norse cable does that?  Since it's copper, I'm a bit skeptical.

Under 200 bucks is the pre-release promo price for the 8 conductor flagship cable, that is the one I purchased.  I have no idea how the 4 conductor one will compare, it should sound good with their unique OCC conductors (I was told it was manufactured to their precise specifications), and the twisted pair litz braid.

The Norse cable, in my rig, does not make my LCD2 noticeably brighter...but it certainly makes the sound more spacious and open, less congested (bigger soundstage), smoother and less grained, so I feel that the extra dimensionality is not a tonal trick but from genuinely better conduction.  Some find that making the LCD2 brighter makes them lose a little of what makes them special, this was what I wanted to avoid.  I made sure that this was the case with Trevor (Tigzstudio) before I placed my order.

There is copper, then there is better OFC copper.  The best copper is the Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC), single crystal copper that can only be produced by one factory in Japan.  

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #9,857 of 18,459
I got the norse cable because it looked sexy, more than anything else.  This was before they changed the stock cable~  But its really sexy, the carribean rosewood splitter with norse engraving is hot.

The packaging was really well done also.  I doubt it will make a difference for me SQ wise though, just wanted it over the stock cable before they made a better one.

Edit: Got tracking
Fed Ex estimated delivery date
Mar 1, 2011 by 4:30 PM

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #9,858 of 18,459
Just ordered the Norse 4-conductor.  Can't wait to try it out.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #9,859 of 18,459
Ok, the Norse cable has peaked my interest. Anyone have pics, seems like the site (if I'm at the right one) says "coming soon"
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #9,860 of 18,459
That site has been "coming soon" for months now. 

There are some excellent images of the Norse cable uploaded to headfi, just search for "norse" and click Gallery Image.

Quote:
Ok, the Norse cable has peaked my interest. Anyone have pics, seems like the site (if I'm at the right one) says "coming soon"
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #9,861 of 18,459
I'd like to know what kind of Litz wire he's using.  What is he using for jacketing?  How flexible is it?

Where do you "order" it?  What's on the menu?

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #9,862 of 18,459

Quote:
I'd like to know what kind of Litz wire he's using.  What is he using for jacketing?  How flexible is it?

+1

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #9,863 of 18,459
go to Trevor's facebook page...there's a link in this thread somewhere in the last few pages.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9,864 of 18,459

Quote:

I ordered an 8 conductor directly from Trevor. Surely he'd be glad to answer any of your questions.

Regarding flexibility, it is very much so. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #9,865 of 18,459
Just made the payment for my LCD-2. Now I have to wait for 2 weeks for it to arrive.. TORTURE! I'm really hoping I love these. I will be running them through the Burson, and I've heard the combo is great. If these aren't the sound I'm looking for, I'll be buying the Mapletree Super II and RS1i.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #9,867 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Just made the payment for my LCD-2. Now I have to wait for 2 weeks for it to arrive.. TORTURE! I'm really hoping I love these. I will be running them through the Burson, and I've heard the combo is great. If these aren't the sound I'm looking for, I'll be buying the Mapletree Super II and RS1i.

You'll love it. 
biggrin.gif

Just be prepared for the week of insomnia you are going to have when you get them.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #9,869 of 18,459

Quote:

It isn't Litz wiring.  I thought the braid was called a "litz braid" but perhaps I'm getting confused with Litz in general, its some kinda special braid, I can't remember what he called it though.  I think the jacketing is polyethalene and its no where near as flexible as the TWAG offerings, but certainly noticeably better than stock.  Yeah, so to stand corrected, it is not Litz wire, it is stranded OCC.

It makes an excellent upgrade over the standard cable for those with a very limited budget, worth shooting a PM to Tigzstudio for more factual information, as it seems my memory is not serving me well.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #9,870 of 18,459
i tried many things but i don't manage to have both side symetric in their rotating range. The left earcup is i think how it should be (~30°) but the right one is loose  (360°).
If i tightens the screw then the right earcup can't move and it doesn't seem a compromise can be achieved no matter how i turn the screw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back