Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #9,811 of 18,459

Quote:
No more cable science/snake oil discussions in this thread please.  Such discussions belong in the sound science forum.  Feel free to start a thread there.
TIA

No problem. I saw that someone mentioned cables and posted. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #9,813 of 18,459
@sokolov91: I actually agree with the main thrust of what you're saying. However there was someone here who immediately said "burn-in". I'm trying to accommodate them. And yes, I really did put the CD-player on auto-repeat overnight and am planning to do so for another few nights.

I was hoping to hear from other ADZ-5 upgraders to agree or disagree with me, while elaborating a little more than a single sentence.

You can probably tell I'm a cynic. I do think much of high-end audio is snake oil, particularly cables. While I can hear differences between some cables, those often don't correlate with price. The same goes for equipment. I hadn't bought or auditioned any in years. The reason I got the Audeze's was, believe it or not, my disenchantment with the long-term reliability of the Sennheisers. I've had a HD600 and HD650 and they both developed an intermittent, one-sided buzzing distortion that it is quite innocuous, but can be clearly heard when using them on an electronic piano. There's nothing like playing an instrument and hearing stuff you didn't play to highlight that sort of issue.

I chose the Audeze's because of the 6moons Blue Moon award. They have reversed some of my cynicism and given me back some excitement. To me they are clearly and obviously better than anything else I've heard (I have not heard the HD800, T1, Stax or any other statement efforts). The best way to put it is like someone here said in their review of the Leben amp. He was hoping to move from a 9 (his previous amp) to a (perfect) 10, but ended up with something between 15 and 20 that he didn't even think was possible (the awful truth was he found something still better eventually, but that's another story).

The LCD-2s have also restored my faith in the mainstream recording industry. I find they really show the care and attention that's gone into many of the studio productions I own. They seem to be the perfect partner for mainstream records, the stuff I really want to listen to, especially (but not just) where it's been mastered over-bright.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #9,814 of 18,459
^^^^^

As far as the cable I do not understand what your looking for . I have both the original stock and the new one. I hear no differences in either. I like the light more flexible new one. I also had the Norse 8 conductor and for me it was too bulky and more weight something I do not prefer. The new cable is light and more suitable for me. That being said I also heard the Moon Silver dragon and did not notice any difference in AB the Norse with it neither did the owner of the Moon.  But if you like the older cable better that great you have both.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #9,815 of 18,459
Frank...already sold the HD800's? Are you all orthos all the time now? Which do you find yourself reaching for more, the LCD-2s or the HE-6's?

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #9,816 of 18,459

Quote:
I moved my cable impressions to:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533209/lcd-2-owners-which-aftermarket-cable-do-you-use/30

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Let me clarify what I said.  I asked for no more cable science/snake oil discussion.  I did not mean you couldn't discuss whether you like one cable over another.  I just want to keep the "cables make a difference" controversy out of this thread.  Does that make sense?  So, I'm sorry for the confusion.  Thanks all !

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #9,817 of 18,459

Quote:
Frank...already sold the HD800's? Are you all orthos all the time now? Which do you find yourself reaching for more, the LCD-2s or the HE-6's?

I prefer the HE6 as dictated by my listening habits. I just like the more open sound stage and the air and space but both are here. If it came down to one the HE6 would be the one to stay but that is  this week both top flight for sure. The HE6 has gotten many more hours in the last month.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #9,818 of 18,459
Well, $967 just flew out of the bank account. I can't wait to get them. It's really funny that I had already given up on buying them and thought that I had been taken off the pre-order list  until they sent an email a week ago, telling me that my pair is ready. Well, alright then :) 

I know this last sentence is going to make those who have been waiting for their confirmation email very angry with me but all I can say that the wait was worth. Now because of it, I get to have the option of that travel case, and plus the new cable... 

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #9,819 of 18,459
It's ok, I figured that was what you meant.  But there is a thread for LCD-2 cables after all...
wink.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
Let me clarify what I said.  I asked for no more cable science/snake oil discussion.  I did not mean you couldn't discuss whether you like one cable over another.  I just want to keep the "cables make a difference" controversy out of this thread.  Does that make sense?  So, I'm sorry for the confusion.  Thanks all !

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #9,821 of 18,459

Quote:
Yuceka---when did you preorder? Whas it you that preordered on December 22? Can't find the post...

I pre-ordered on December 18th and got the payment email on February 10th and was able to make the payment today

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9,823 of 18,459

Hm. 2 months wait if pre-order was made in December last year. I guess us that have order just recent need to be even more patient. That´s OK, but I would really appreciate a non-automated e-mail reply so I can rest assured that my pre-order indeed is in the queue. Self-ETA ultimo April. I really hope the wait is worth it. :)
Quote:
I pre-ordered on December 18th and got the payment email on February 10th and was able to make the payment today

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #9,824 of 18,459
Well, since you have an 800 and a 702, at least you won't have to "suffer in silence."

Yes, it was worth the wait, at least to me.  Took me almost that long to get my T50s, too.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 23, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #9,825 of 18,459

Quote:
Hm. 2 months wait if pre-order was made in December last year. I guess us that have order just recent need to be even more patient. That´s OK, but I would really appreciate a non-automated e-mail reply so I can rest assured that my pre-order indeed is in the queue. Self-ETA ultimo April. I really hope the wait is worth it. :)

I would say don't worry about it if you put your name on the pre-order list once. Once you got that automated confirmation mail, you're good to go. That being said, they may not reply other emails you may send in between but you can be rest assured that you're in the list. That's what happened to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back