Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #14,071 of 18,459
My countrymen, lend me your ears!

I need some advice re creating another thread and wonder if Sunday is the right time to ask, but if the right people are around fate itself will step in an save the day.

A gentlemen I admire very much (PhD type physicist in sub atomic particles but loves headphones) whom I met on this site believes there is such a thing as a national sound, as it were, epitomized in the phones and speakers that come from that nationality. Senns represent a German sound, Grados an American sound, my Mission 710s (thirty years old and still wonderful after all these years) are quite British (or Canadian); Paradigm speakers quite Canadian-British. The point is obvious, an idea to play with, toss around like an orca before swallowing it for dinner (without play as the book Homo Ludens argues there would be no civilization, no advancement of same); something to enjoy.

The obvious weakness of the hypothesis is patent in how impossible it is to confirm such assertions of faith (though not impossible to start new religions with them). How, goodness me, can one assert that something partaking of something as amorphous and broad as a headphone, or any manufactured object, is significantly representative of a national esthetic or characteristic? One can do it because it stimulates the glands of one's imagination and primary reason for being in how such assertions add to the pleasures of civilized life (the reason we were put on earth, put in American, and most of all California which Gawd created solely for the purpose of fun and in an effort to show the way to the heights of civilized pleasure).

I thoroughly dislike the German Sennheiser sound and remain perplexed at how so many people love them (knowing full well the first law of headphone love is function of the utterly subjective);  however, I must say one aspect I most like about this crazy hectic labyrinthine site is how I have not had to deal with heavy and ubiquitous Senn Worship. Oh, thank you Gawd, thank you!

Look, I would tentatively proffer that German Maestro line and the Senn line have distinctly defining German or Teutonic reserve and analytical narrowness if not rigidity and reluctance--a preference for order above all--compared to the freedom of the Grados and the Audeze line. How very American! Or can say the Audeze represent a Vegas sound?!! Wow and whoa!

But then how square these proclivities with the power, majesty, and sublimity of the masterworks of German Romanticism? Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Bruckner, and Mahler?

Dear me, I have betrayed myself as one who lives in the classical music universe.

Yet not totally.

So how to test it when we think of Miles Davis, Art Farmer, Pat Metheny?

Grados and Pat Metheny in American Garage? What stirs my soul more than the sounds that further enflame the desire to get in the car and get on the American road and keep going and never stop? (No women! But gotta have a soul mate of some sort---music and machines will do.) The profundity of which is caught in one way in American Graffiti, most of all in the semi-tragic drama of Two Lane Black Top, Thelma and Louise again (all the American road movies that scream out the core of our American exceptionalism--love of the open road. Kerouac On the Road, and my man Willie! On the Road Again--yes again and again and again!

Gentlemen, there is so much here to dive into. Where can we do it? Help me start a new thread on this? Or not. I go to home page and start with this?
Wonder if others will join in and play like the orca to connect the dots: the open road, being American and also loving German Romanticism in music, and ever curious how the mass manufactured objects that surround us also define us in their uniqueness, and ours.

Hugs and hopes!

Dr. Art

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #14,072 of 18,459

I need some advice re creating another thread and wonder if Sunday is the right time to ask, but if the right people are around fate itself will step in an save the day.

A gentlemen I admire very much (PhD type physicist in sub atomic particles but loves headphones) whom I met on this site believes there is such a thing as a national sound, as it were, epitomized in the phones and speakers that come from that nationality. Senns represent a German sound, Grados an American sound, my Mission 710s (thirty years old and still wonderful after all these years) are quite British (or Canadian); Paradigm speakers quite Canadian-British. The point is obvious, an idea to play with, toss around like an orca before swallowing it for dinner (without play as the book Homo Ludens argues there would be no civilization, no advancement of same); something to enjoy.

The obvious weakness of the hypothesis is patent in how impossible it is to confirm such assertions of faith (though not impossible to start new religions with them). How, goodness me, can one assert that something partaking of something as amorphous and broad as a headphone, or any manufactured object, is significantly representative of a national esthetic or characteristic? One can do it because it stimulates the glands of one's imagination and primary reason for being in how such assertions add to the pleasures of civilized life (the reason we were put on earth, put in American, and most of all California which Gawd created solely for the purpose of fun and in an effort to show the way to the heights of civilized pleasure).

I thoroughly dislike the German Sennheiser sound and remain perplexed at how so many people love them (knowing full well the first law of headphone love is function of the utterly subjective);  however, I must say one aspect I most like about this crazy hectic labyrinthine site is how I have not had to deal with heavy and ubiquitous Senn Worship. Oh, thank you Gawd, thank you!

Look, I would tentatively proffer that German Maestro line and the Senn line have distinctly defining German or Teutonic reserve and analytical narrowness if not rigidity and reluctance--a preference for order above all--compared to the freedom of the Grados and the Audeze line. How very American! Or can say the Audeze represent a Vegas sound?!! Wow and whoa!

But then how square these proclivities with the power, majesty, and sublimity of the masterworks of German Romanticism? Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Bruckner, and Mahler?

Dear me, I have betrayed myself as one who lives in the classical music universe.

Yet not totally.

Grados and Pat Metheny in American Garage? What stirs my soul more than the sounds that further enflame the desire to get in the car and get on the American road and keep going and never stop? (No women! But gotta have a soul mate of some sort---music and machines will do.) The profundity of which is caught in one way in American Graffiti, most of all in the semi-tragic drama of Two Lane Black Top, Thelma and Louise again (all the American road movies that scream out the core of our American exceptionalism--love of the open road. Kerouac On the Road, and my man Willie! On the Road Again--yes again and again and again!

Gentlemen, there is so much here to dive into. Where can we do it? Help me start a new thread on this? Or not. I go to home page and start with this?
Wonder if others will join in and play like the orca to connect the dots: the open road, being American and also loving German Romanticism in music, and ever curious how the mass manufactured objects that surround us also define us in their uniqueness, and ours.

Hugs and hopes!

Dr. Art

Go to the science thread

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #14,073 of 18,459

Quote:

Yet not totally.

Hugs and hopes!

Dr. Art

Then what does Beyer represent?

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #14,074 of 18,459
Do we have to keep posting his response, its giving me a headache.
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #14,075 of 18,459
What'd you say?  Sorry I can't hear you. 
tongue_smile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Yet not totally.

Hugs and hopes!

Dr. Art

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #14,077 of 18,459

Quote:

Yet not totally.

Hugs and hopes!

Dr. Art

I was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit more?

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #14,078 of 18,459
there is such a thing as a national sound, as it were, epitomized in the phones and speakers that come from that nationality

-the rest is snipped for brevity-

I'm calling BS, how could the German sound of the HD650 be compared to that of the the HD800, or the Japanese sound of the M50 to that of the W5000? There sometimes isn't even such a thing as a house sound, a national sound by comparison is even more far fetched.

Unless your friend with a PhD comes up with a statistical analysis, this will remain disjointed ramblings. Newsflash: people with PhD are specialist within their own domains, not omni-disciplinary scientists.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #14,080 of 18,459

Quote:

...big ass snip of wordy tome...you can thank me later, KingStyles...

Hugs and hopes!

Dr. Art

Good doctor Art; I do hope you have a thick epidermis. For the lashing you are about to receive, may you be truly thankful.  Are you quite sure you are American?  Does it say, "Made in America" on somewhere on you?  Perhaps the "Sell-By" date has passed and someone forgot to take you off the shelf?

Seriously (assuming you are serious, which is a mighty big assumption), you might check the archives, but try to condense your question into say...oh, three or four words.  I know nationalism is  a popular theme in the world of speakers, though I've never heard it  embellished with such flourish and panache in presentation as you have here. Pay no attention to the LCD-2 crowd - they're either blowing off steam or have already been replaced by hamster replicants.  Or they just don't give a toss because they know what they like when they hear it, and would rather just listen to music then dwell on those kind of gnat hairs. Oh, wait a minute, that's just me...It's probably just one of the first two options with the others. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #14,081 of 18,459
I know I am going to be boring saying this but it sure would be nice if this thread went back to talking about the LCD2's and away from hamsters and jingoistic clap trap.

It gets very tiresome to go away for a few hours only to have to wade through 30 posts of codswallop (British slang for nonsense!)!

Personally I want to hear more from folks who have the new drivers and experiences from folks still with the original drivers!

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #14,082 of 18,459
Yeah! Right now it is rubbish and since I'm in the process of gathering money, could be for the LCD2's I would like to hear more discussion about them rather than discussion about hamsters! 

If I am switching from a pair of HD650's with to LCD2 what major differences will there be in the sound, I read that the midrange is awesomesauce on the LCD2 and the bass should be really good. Does double-bass and jazz sound good on the lcd's, thats what I listen to mainly right now!

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #14,083 of 18,459
I know I am going to be boring saying this but it sure would be nice if this thread went back to talking about the LCD2's and away from hamsters and jingoistic clap trap.

I agree that the hamster discussion almost made me stop looking into this thread but I thought I'd give it one more try.

I don't agree that consideration of supporting one's neighbors and countrymen is jingoistic clap trap. I own many products made by people from all over the world. Many of these products are among the best money can buy, regardless of where made. However, if given the opportunity to purchase a product manufactured in America, and it meets the quality standards I expect, even if the product costs a bit more, I will try to support these people. I am not made better off by the impoverishment of my neighbors and countrymen who lose their jobs to competition abroad. In fact, when they become unemployed, they can't purchase my products or services, so it's also enlightened self-interest to support them if I can. If people were saying they won't buy products from country "X" because they hate that country or it's people, that would be jingoistic. I don't think that's what the posters whose posts I've read here are intending to say. Nor is it how I feel. I do not believe there is either chauvinism or belligerence motivating any of the statements by Americans supporting American-made products.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #14,084 of 18,459
Yeah! Right now it is rubbish and since I'm in the process of gathering money, could be for the LCD2's I would like to hear more discussion about them rather than discussion about hamsters! 

If I am switching from a pair of HD650's with to LCD2 what major differences will there be in the sound, I read that the midrange is awesomesauce on the LCD2 and the bass should be really good. Does double-bass and jazz sound good on the lcd's, thats what I listen to mainly right now!

The LCD2 sounds great with jazz, my main listening genre too.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #14,085 of 18,459

Quote:

What burn-in?  I experienced no change at all in burn-in; it sounded great right out of the gate and I did not notice any profound changes at all.   But then I probably only have a few hundred hours on mine as I listen to speakers far more.  Still, this is the first time I've ever heard someone mention they actually experienced some burn-in significant enough to warrant a comment like yours.  What did you think changed?

Pretty much everything. I had grave doubts about them (a little too bright, not enough foundation etc etc) and then, eventually, I didn't. Was it me or burn in? Your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back