Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 11, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #14,086 of 18,459

Quote:

You could do the same thing with the new LCD-2, what then?

You mean...you mean the new LCD-2 isn't perfect, that it still needs an aftermarket cable and substituted Class A op amps? You mean the "greater" focus is still just a tiny bit blurry? This is too much for my tiny mind.
confused_face.gif

I believe my point was that all this is never-ending--but you knew that, right? The best cable, the best amp, swap the ops in it, everything perfect...then comes Rev 2. Rush to change over...yes, slightly more focus, tighter bass...but maybe just a touch of glare. Is it that silver cable? Now where did I put the stock cable?--that should fix it. And I'm not sure the Class A mod on the op amp was quite the improvement I imagined...might be time to get the soldering iron out again. Shame really that half my CDs are crap...why aren't there better recording engineers anyway? We go to all this trouble to get perfect synergy and they mix everything for AM radio. This hobby really sucks sometimes....  

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #14,087 of 18,459

[size=medium]
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting an LCD2, but my source makes me reluctant to buy.  So first off, I am an amateur audiophile.  I plan on using this as my open ended can on my desktop.  My current desktop rig has an Asus Xonar ST w/ the dedicated amp.  I am kind of a bass head, but I won't sacrifice the rest of the spectrum.  I'd say 80% of my music is pop, rap, rock and on those genre's I am a fan of bass boost.  I also plan on using these cans for internet media, movies, and games.  Naturally, all of this media has a pretty broad range of bitrates.  Now I would like to know if anyone has experience or audiophile insight into this kind of a set up.  Would these cans still kick ass w/ that DAC amp combo?  What about if I used a better amp, but still used the DAC?  Or does the entire set up gotta go?

Also, I am curious if anyone has any insight comparing Ultrasone Edition 8s with LCD2s.  Btw I know its not fair to compare closed vs open, but its all I really have to compare.

Thanks!
[/size]

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #14,089 of 18,459

Quote:
You mean...you mean the new LCD-2 isn't perfect, that it still needs an aftermarket cable and substituted Class A op amps? You mean the "greater" focus is still just a tiny bit blurry? This is too much for my tiny mind.
confused_face.gif

I believe my point was that all this is never-ending--but you knew that, right? The best cable, the best amp, swap the ops in it, everything perfect...then comes Rev 2. Rush to change over...yes, slightly more focus, tighter bass...but maybe just a touch of glare. Is it that silver cable? Now where did I put the stock cable?--that should fix it. And I'm not sure the Class A mod on the op amp was quite the improvement I imagined...might be time to get the soldering iron out again. Shame really that half my CDs are crap...why aren't there better recording engineers anyway? We go to all this trouble to get perfect synergy and they mix everything for AM radio. This hobby really sucks sometimes....  

No what I meant was, what if the new LCD-2 genuinely is better? Then the same subtle, marginal improvements made to the original LCD-2 with these various tweaks would arguably make an even better headphone even better than that.

Or something to that effect
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #14,090 of 18,459

Quote:
I know I am going to be boring saying this but it sure would be nice if this thread went back to talking about the LCD2's and away from hamsters and jingoistic clap trap.

It gets very tiresome to go away for a few hours only to have to wade through 30 posts of codswallop (British slang for nonsense!)!

Personally I want to hear more from folks who have the new drivers and experiences from folks still with the original drivers!

thank you.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #14,091 of 18,459
sup guys. I have the LCD-2's (new driver model) right next to me. It was dropped off at my house about 2 hours ago, and I just came back from work.

Well anyway. For some reason I didn't rip through the packaging like a maniac this time. It's just sitting right here beside me. 

And I am feeling a wonderful sense of serenity and peace.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #14,095 of 18,459

Quote:

No what I meant was, what if the new LCD-2 genuinely is better? Then the same subtle, marginal improvements made to the original LCD-2 with these various tweaks would arguably make an even better headphone even better than that.

Or something to that effect
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, that's what I meant too. And then something better and then something better and....aaaaggh!

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #14,096 of 18,459
It's been a long time since I've updated my siggy. Woohoo~

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #14,099 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks for posting that Legendary. Is it safe to assume you didn't cop import duties and GST? I hope I get mine on Friday.

Total cost was   $1,046.30 everything inclusive (gst, shipping etc etc). It's not too bad I guess. The price is in AUD btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back