Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #14,056 of 18,459

Quote:
that lcd 3 thing is a joke. no news... I dun think LCD 3 will be out in next 6-12 months.

bigsmile_face.gif
iT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY v2 THEY SELL FIRST. NEVER SAY NEVER

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #14,061 of 18,459
 Warrior Ant you have my utmost admiration this lazy Sunday afternoon wherein anyone on this site should instead be out with his best girl being intimate with her while surrounded by fine Calif cabs (except in Indiana where they are not sure yet what wine is) and crusty sourdough baguettes and reading poetry (joke...poetry...ugh). My admiration because you have a right on sense of humor as well.

Wait! that is why I am here typing in a dirty white window on a gloriously sunny day re headphones rather than with "best girl." To escape that best girl after thirty years I have enlisted my passion for headphones that indeed close off the outside world and only recently realized how much that included women. My UPS driver says he prefers work to going home--can't wait to get int he truck on Monday mornings.

Remember Tom Sawyer and Jim? Yup, had that raft and went down the mighty Mississippi so the women on shore could not make him wash behind his ears or go to church. There is so much more to headphones than meets the ears--so much more to also hiding out on the computer.

So hooray for headphones and enough already with the social contact thing though that is mainly what this site is about--sharing of tech and getting away from other half for a time.

Off to buy another pair: modified Grado 80s for $80 like I need them like another hole in head. But the LCD-2 enthusiasm suggests I may find my Maltese Falcon, or not, and then be off to find the thing dreams are made of, to recall the last line in the movie. (That was a Bogie line, right? Anyone have a copy handy and can check that for me?)

We are dreamers and lovers like men from the pyramids on down, from them rough bible days, when the men hung out at the corner station swapping car specs (before we could no longer afford cars or work on them many of us and had to move to swapping computer or headphone specs).

Also let us hear it for the soundtrack in Thelma and Louise. Not to mention the plot. Women so determined to get away from men they kill themselves in a convertible. Maybe if they had paid more attention to headphones they would be alive today. Right on!

Epically yours,

Art

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #14,064 of 18,459
Doesn't the LCD-4 use dual drivers, one planar and one electrostat? And it comes with a custom amp with algorithmic phasing and eq that uses your audiogram in conjunction with a mold of of your ear to deliver individually tuned sound. Well one can dream anyways.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #14,065 of 18,459

Quote:
Everybody wants the new improved version...... 

The resale price is dropping as we post....

How much would someone be willing to pay for the old version with the non angled cable attachments, the old non A covers, the old headband, the old ear pads, the old blocks and the old drivers, when they can buy the new, improved, clearer sounding version instead...... never mind that the LCD-3 is right around the corner?

I presume this is a joke but, since there's no smiley, I'll treat it seriously.

You're mixing sound quality issues with comfort issues here. I'd like a lighter LCD-2, with less clamping pressure, even softer pads and less bulk generally. I'd like the physical design streamlined and simplified so that it doesn't so much resemble a mechano set. However, I'm not at all interested in re-burning-in an LCD-2 that is just slightly more in focus than the one I have now, which seems very focussed to me, thanks. According to many I could probably get a similar effect by changing the cable or amp, or just fitting a Class A op amp to my present amp. To me the real attraction of the new version is the headband, but no way am I paying $100+.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #14,066 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...However, I'm not at all interested in re-burning-in an LCD-2 that is just slightly more in focus than the one I have now, which seems very focussed to me, thanks. ...

What burn-in?  I experienced no change at all in burn-in; it sounded great right out of the gate and I did not notice any profound changes at all.   But then I probably only have a few hundred hours on mine as I listen to speakers far more.  Still, this is the first time I've ever heard someone mention they actually experienced some burn-in significant enough to warrant a comment like yours.  What did you think changed?

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #14,067 of 18,459

Quote:

You're mixing sound quality issues with comfort issues here. I'd like a lighter LCD-2, with less clamping pressure, even softer pads and less bulk generally. I'd like the physical design streamlined and simplified so that it doesn't so much resemble a mechano set. However, I'm not at all interested in re-burning-in an LCD-2 that is just slightly more in focus than the one I have now, which seems very focussed to me, thanks. According to many I could probably get a similar effect by changing the cable or amp, or just fitting a Class A op amp to my present amp. To me the real attraction of the new version is the headband, but no way am I paying $100+.

You could do the same thing with the new LCD-2, what then?

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #14,069 of 18,459

Quote:

YouI'm not at all interested in re-burning-in an LCD-2 that is just slightly more in focus than the one I have now, which seems very focussed to me, thanks. According to many I could probably get a similar effect by changing the cable or amp, or just fitting a Class A op amp to my present amp. 

Those folks are wrong.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #14,070 of 18,459
LCD4 is just LCD2 classic with a hit of LSD included. LCD3 was just a dull boomy fart-machine and we know from head-fi that some actually prefer this. With LCD4 you get an Eargasm Guarantee or you get your money back. It has that round, juicy and rainbow-like signature. After you hear it, everything will sound dull and lifeless. Infact, this girl just heard LCD4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back