Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #11,956 of 18,459

Quote:
I think this theory is very valid and I have been pondering similar thoughts lately.  I don't use headphones as often as I used to, and because of this, when I do - the LCD2 is truly spectacular in the way it presents such a lifelike presence.  Basically, I think the less I use headphones, the less I am accustomed to typical headphone distortions which I learn to enjoy when using them more often.  I have been noticing how unlike any other headphone, there is no physical vibration in the entire headphone.  The sound is so "still" and "stable" - distortions in other headphones become so obvious.  The distortion measurements are a good indicator and the LCD2 is also the lowest measured as well.  
The only resonance I now hear is that of tinnitus mixing with the audio signal when I am listening to the LCD2s at a low volume - a low distortion amplifies this phenomena in my opinion, as well as any "instabilities" in amplifiers and sources.  Any cavity resonances should be easily measurable and illustrated in the waterfall plots...the LCD2s to me are the only circumaural design I can say I have heard that doesn't have any cavity resonances, and my reference for this phenomena are my supra aural cans, the PX100, Porta Pross and Grado HF2s - all which I like because they are free from cavity resonances in the space between ear and driver.

HRTF issues I gather is altogether different to hearing loss.  Hearing loss manifest itself on real life to the same extent as to headphones - as real life sound loses some of its vibrancy due to wear and tear, so too does the LCD2 - and the end result is still a profound match between what I hear in real life and the LCD2s.  I am steadfast with Kevin on this one, the only true reference is real life.  Not other speakers.

I have heard many a "live" concert that does not match the LCD2s general presentation, and for me these "live" and AMPLIFIED performances have no bearing on how actual acoustic instrument sounds as a musician will hear it.  The performers are behind the speakers - and are not exposed to the shrill, they just play to how they hear it on that stage, being behind the speakers - they hear it differently, trust me.  The electronics involved in many of these performances are truly distorted when driven to the volumes as loud as they do.  That's how I hear it.

I'm reminded of the time I was walking along Sydney harbour where the Opera House and Harbour Bridge is.  I was accompanied by a fellow head-fier who enjoys a pair of K701s as a musical reference.  As we passed street performers, we pass a one playing a twelve string acoustic guitar, unamplified - I remark, notice how this is not at all bright, like my HD650s?  Then a few metres away, there is another basker with an acoustic guitar - hooked up to an amplifier..."see how this one sounds more like your K701?".  It was not possible to disagree at this point.

Lots of interesting thoughts there, SP. On cavity resonance I think you're right, and this would go toward explaining the very low listener fatigue of the LCD-2. The phones I had most trouble with as far as cavity resonance is concerned were--coincidentally--the AKG K701, which to me had a quite steely treble; but since no one else has complained of this to my knowledge I have to think it was peculiar to me, some kind of mismatch between my pinna and the earcups maybe.

I think you're right too that amplified v. non-amplified music could explain the apparently contradictory judgements on the LCD-2. Clearly someone seeking the sound of an amplified rock concert heard from near the stage will have different expectations to someone wanting to replicate a non-amplified--possibly classical--concert heard from maybe 40 feet from the orchestra. Two very different types of sound, but surely the latter is going to be more useful in determining the objective accuracy of a headphone (as opposed to its enjoyment factor, which is entirely subjective), individual musical tastes aside.

However, I'll stop here, as I might seem to be pontificating again.
wink.gif

May 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #11,957 of 18,459

Quote:

Lots of interesting thoughts there, SP. On cavity resonance I think you're right, and this would go toward explaining the very low listener fatigue of the LCD-2. The phones I had most trouble with as far as cavity resonance is concerned were--coincidentally--the AKG K701, which to me had a quite steely treble; but since no one else has complained of this to my knowledge I have to think it was peculiar to me, some kind of mismatch between my pinna and the earcups maybe.

I think you're right too that amplified v. non-amplified music could explain the apparently contradictory judgements on the LCD-2. Clearly someone seeking the sound of an amplified rock concert heard from near the stage will have different expectations to someone wanting to replicate a non-amplified--possibly classical--concert heard from maybe 40 feet from the orchestra. Two very different types of sound, but surely the latter is going to be more useful in determining the objective accuracy of a headphone (as opposed to its enjoyment factor, which is entirely subjective), individual musical tastes aside.

However, I'll stop here, as I might seem to be pontificating again.
wink.gif

Then again, is the front row perspective of an amplified concert the perspective of the musicians?  Who are more often than not, behind the speakers...is the recorded outcome, the intent of the artist?  The musicians play to themselves and what they hear and care not what the audience hears - in a conventional rock ensemble that is...I have exactly zero experience with classical, but from my experience, at the stage - venue ambience is less obvious and it sounds far less brighter than on front row.

May 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #11,959 of 18,459
jackmccabe, and those discussing the off-topic stuff with him:  A bunch of stuff is being deleted.  I may split them off into another thread later, but, right now, I'm just cleaning up this thread, per requests to do so.

Keep it on topic.

May 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #11,960 of 18,459
Please, C[size=small]an anyone give me[/size] information about the cable norseaudio since the site is under construction?
thank you
aldo

May 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #11,961 of 18,459

Quote:
Please, C[size=small]an anyone give me[/size] information about the cable norseaudio since the site is under construction?
thank you
aldo

Assuming you want to order a cable from Norse audio, just send an email to NorseAudio@gmail.com and ask Trevor for more info. He is really good in responding to queries.

May 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #11,962 of 18,459

Quote:

PS  Did  you give up your speaker system?  That's what I meant would be my preference for listening to this kind of music.  It is better enjoyed as background, at least for me, but I'm surprised that I'm quite enjoying on headphones right now. 

Yes I had to give up my speaker rig because I do not have the proper room for it in my current home. No matter how I tried I could not get it to integrate into the large space I meant for it to live in.  Ergonomically it just kept getting in the way of the families goings about here and there.  So it had to go. Thus ending at least 30 years of speakers rigs and leading me to my very first pair of headphones.  I do keep a small rig using Mirage speakers for composing my own music at my iMac so I'm not entirely without but it is near field listening which is something I'm not fond of at all.  I spent 24 years editing TV shows and mixing them in near field environments and never liked near field listening.

So it's LCD's for me now or bust.  Once I get a real amp for them I'll spend some months deciding whether I can adapt and enjoy or sell it all off.   I'm not a casual music listener.  I never play it as a background element.  It's either I'm listening to it to experience it or I don't.   Now that I have the LCD's I'm looking for a really comfortable chair to listen in.  Anyone have any chair suggestions? :)

May 22, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #11,963 of 18,459

Quote:

Assuming you want to order a cable from Norse audio, just send an email to NorseAudio@gmail.com and ask Trevor for more info. He is really good in responding to queries.

this answer is a little ironic
aldo

May 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11,966 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes I had to give up my speaker rig because I do not have the proper room for it in my current home. No matter how I tried I could not get it to integrate into the large space I meant for it to live in.  Ergonomically it just kept getting in the way of the families goings about here and there.  So it had to go. Thus ending at least 30 years of speakers rigs and leading me to my very first pair of headphones.  I do keep a small rig using Mirage speakers for composing my own music at my iMac so I'm not entirely without but it is near field listening which is something I'm not fond of at all.  I spent 24 years editing TV shows and mixing them in near field environments and never liked near field listening.

So it's LCD's for me now or bust.  Once I get a real amp for them I'll spend some months deciding whether I can adapt and enjoy or sell it all off.   I'm not a casual music listener.  I never play it as a background element.  It's either I'm listening to it to experience it or I don't.   Now that I have the LCD's I'm looking for a really comfortable chair to listen in.  Anyone have any chair suggestions? :)

I'd get one of these:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zero+gravity+chair&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10412819728679438857&sa=X&ei=IGXZTdj6LILmsQO58KSODA&ved=0CJABEPMCMAc4FA&biw=2179&bih=1243#ps-sellers

May 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #11,967 of 18,459
May 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #11,968 of 18,459

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear you had to give it up, but I understand that sometimes life takes us places we never expected.  I can understand better why you've been doing such diligent research into your headphone rig given it'll be your only conduit for music. 

Chair to listen in?  I like my Le Corbusier Lounge chair, but that's as personal as headphone choice, including visually and stylistically, as well as general comfort.

There's a few threads on Audiogon about the listening chair choice.  Here's a current one with a link I posted within it to another, older one.  If you do a search there there are a few others.  I have not tried the lounge chair with the LCD-2's and don't know how they'd work for that given their size and weight in a reclining position.   

May 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #11,969 of 18,459
Well, I was gone from this site for a couple of years, checked in again about a month ago to see what was new, and this thread caught my eye.

...I've just ordered the LCD-2s.  At least I won't have to pay all of it at once (BillMeLater works with any PayPal purchase).

I'm obviously looking forward to hearing what seems to be (from reading pretty much this whole thread) a poor man's Omega II.  I will be powering it with a WooAudio WA6, for which I've yet found a use.  I will also be trying the LCD-2 with my Total AirHead.  If I don't like either of the results I get, I'll be buying a Schiit Asgard as my first solid-state desktop amp.  I will not consider a cable "upgrade;" I'm a skeptic who believes such subjective claims are only shown valid by properly performed double-blind tests, and would rather not pay $150+ for what's likely a placebo effect.  Anyway, it will be interesting to compare the LCD-2 to my Stax SR-202, and to compare my fuzzy memory of the D7000's amazing bass to the LCD-2's.

I was thinking about spending the $1000 on a pair of Adam A7s, but I don't really like speakers.  I consider headphones to be superior technology because I love being able to have great sound at my ears no matter what direction I face/where I am in a room/what the room acoustics are.  Also, I'd rather keep the sound to/just for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back