Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #8,221 of 18,459
I read what is said. I have no agenda for or against the LCD-2. I listen for the overhang/ringing on bass or mids, and don't get it. I have tried all types of music of all types of quality with relation to recording quality. If I heard it I would say, "ah, yes, ok" and either I could live with it or not but don't hear it. I am just glad I can enjoy the music, play with the computer, do work on my photography and climate change data and keep on trucking, even when the generator on the island goes belly up for a while. 

Some of the best cabbage I ever had was in Taiwan. They really relish it there and the different flavors and textures are a delight for the cabbage connoisseur. China was ok but they haven't taken it to the art form of Taiwan. Cabbage can actually grow for a few years. I had some that the stalk was over 4 feet high. Anywayyyyy, back to the program. . .  

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #8,223 of 18,459

Quote:
I read what is said. I have no agenda for or against the LCD-2. I listen for the overhang/ringing on bass or mids, and don't get it. I have tried all types of music of all types of quality with relation to recording quality. If I heard it I would say, "ah, yes, ok" and either I could live with it or not but don't hear it. I am just glad I can enjoy the music, play with the computer, do work on my photography and climate change data and keep on trucking, even when the generator on the island goes belly up for a while. 

Some of the best cabbage I ever had was in Taiwan. They really relish it there and the different flavors and textures are a delight for the cabbage connoisseur. China was ok but they haven't taken it to the art form of Taiwan. Cabbage can actually grow for a few years. I had some that the stalk was over 4 feet high. Anywayyyyy, back to the program. . .  

Cabbage-Fi?  I've seen it all.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #8,224 of 18,459
Whenever I see a bulk of unread messages in this thread, I always get my hopes up. I hope for intelligent conversation, a song/artist that shines with lcd-2, or some other semi-intelligent conversation going on. How often I am disappointed. CABBAGE?!?!

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #8,226 of 18,459

Quote:

Maybe these people just don't like the headphone.

There are lots of threads on head-fi about products I am either not interested in, or know I don't like; I don't contribute to, or even visit those threads.

On another note, hopefully I can expect a "Your LCD-2s are ready" email soon; I pre-ordered on Friday, December 3rd.  

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #8,227 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe these people are just contrarians and enjoy the attention they get from being one of the few elitist outspoken individuals trying to enlighten the blind sheep?

If it's attention that the vegetable man craves, you people are giving it to him in spades so he wins.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #8,228 of 18,459
Well ignoring doesn't work either. I'm all for diversity of opinion but this thread is now more about one persons weird sound preferences than it is about the lcd2. But maybe talking about it is worse so I'll try to keep my mouth/fingers shut

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #8,229 of 18,459
Isn't what Mr. Green and others are describing about the recessed  HF response of the LCD-2 substantiated by the frequency graph posted in this thread?  Is the shelved HF curve by intentional design?  

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #8,230 of 18,459
Well, although the LCD2 is rather easy to drive, I wouldn't discount the notion that a good amplifier to drive it is not important. It seems that these planars are more sensitive to their signal chain more so than your good ol' dynamics. I heard the LCD2 for the first time out of the Meier Concerto and I immediately noticed that there was an upper mid glare and overall the sound was a bit thin as switching to the β22 with the same source, the thinness and glare disappeared. 

I had a small meet with two friends just before the New Year since one of them had just finished building his EHHA (http://www.cavalliaudio.com/ehha/main.php?page=overview) and invited us to take a dip. There were EHHA, and β22 in the meet and the LCD2 sounded different enough with each amplifier. The EHHA made the LCD2 forward-sounding in the midrange area and added some tube-like "wetness" to its vocal presentation while through the β22, the LCD2 was noticeably colder and more laid-back but reigned supreme in bass control, imaging, soundstage and PRaT. Overall I thought the β22 makes a better pairing with the LCD2. I also happen to have a loaner M-Stage at home and while it's far from bad, it doesn't exactly compare to those two behemoths. The M-Stage sounds wooly and lacking definition compared to the EHHA and β22. 

The loaner Stax system (404LE and SRM-1/MK2) that I used to have for a while was even more brutally revealing. It was almost unlistenable out of a HRT Music Streamer II+ since the combination was too thin and bright. I guess the moral of the story is do not discount your signal chain no matter how trivial they appear to be and you will never know, until you try it yourself. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #8,231 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe these people are just contrarians and enjoy the attention they get from being one of the few elitist outspoken individuals trying to enlighten the blind sheep?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing                             :wink:

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #8,232 of 18,459

Quote:
one persons weird sound preferences than it is about the lcd2. But maybe talking about it is worse so I'll try to keep my mouth/fingers shut

You mean everyone else in the thread
cool.gif

Quote:
subtle said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
MrGreen said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should try making a post that contains information rather than insults for once. "Oh noes, people don't like something I do! And they have technical data to support their opinion! IMPOSSIBLE"

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #8,233 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
But your bit about "people withe better gear than most LCD-2 owners" agreeing with you is kind of duplicitous to the thrust of your argument about your own gear not being the issue, isn't it?

No, it's a preemptive strike against the onslaught of comments that would have come if I had not made an agressive post. And do not pretend it wouldn't have come - it's head-fi. It happens ALL THE TIME. Pointing out that there are people with better gear who agree with me merely raises questions about the validity of the "you need better gear" argument.

"I find the HD650 veiled"
"Thats because you don't have a silver cable"

"I find the K701 has bad bass impact"
"You need a better amp and you need to burn it in for 500 hours"

I'm not particularly convicted about much, I'm pretty relaxed. I do have a personal vendetta against elitism in audiophile circles, however. I have seen much friendlier folk and things are much better when people are just enjoying music instead of circlejerking over their gear. Meets are a good example of this - I have never seen a bunch of people rave and piss over a piece of kit at meets. Not saying this is the case with the LCD-2, merely an observation about Head-fi overall (the recent M50 and other various flavour of the month phenomena are an excellent example). In fact, I think the LCD-2 is worthy of a lot of praise for the bass alone which is the best I have heard in ah eadphone. At meets, I actually find that we tend to talk about music more than the headphones.

Quote:
jamato8 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please do not presume what I am or not interested in, if "both of you" is referring to me. As to bitter people, that sounds like something coming from within you as I don't see that many bitter people around here. What I do see is a number of people that assist and dialogue and I know from the number of emails that I get, that there are a number of people that enjoy discussing audio and giving mutual help. 

I will now turn my ATP to enjoying some more music. 

If you like, I'm willing to engage in a lengthy discussion about my gear (some of which I have given away to friends now) if you're actually interested in it. I'm not sure how many headphone boards you attend, but for the most part the culture is very different (worse) at head-fi and one needs to develop a tough skin to cope with it. There are plenty of very nice members on head-fi. I posted about several members who have been very kind in one of those poll threads DavidMahler posted.

You originally said that you found the mids to be congested in the LCD-2s, which is not something I experienced. As I've gone through a reasonable amount of gear, I thought that there may be a possibility that it was the result of something other than the headphones. Irrespective of whatever anyone else said, that wasn't out of gear elitism, it was just out of experience with both cheap and expensive gear and a basic understanding of where audio gear can lack in the capability of amplifying the complex electrical signals that music transmitted with.  As many people here are interested in getting the best performance out of what is close to a $1000 purchase, this kind of discussion is only normal.  Even if you bought a pair of HE-6s and liked the tonal balance of them over the LCD-2s, I think you'd run into the same discussion again.

While you are right about the kind of discussion that commonly occurs on the forums with regards to many headphones, I can say that in my case with the LCD-2s, if I was only using them with any of my low-to-mid-level gear, as I don't usually like headphones with their particular tonal balance either, I wouldn't have kept them.  However, when I do use them with my best gear, the performance and my enjoyment is such that I have no desire to ever sell them. So in my case at least, the rest of my system has turned a pair of headphones that I would otherwise not feel were enjoyable enough to listen with, into my preferred pair of headphones.  So as much as you may wish to believe what you do about sources, my experience and what knowledge I have says otherwise.  Note that I'm not disagreeing with your disagreement with the LCD-2s at all saying this.  As much as it may be annoying for people to be annoyingly insistent towards your comments, you are being equally annoyingly insistent that different gear wont make much difference to the enjoyment one can obtain from a particular pair of headphones.

I'm going to give up harping on about this now.  I just hope you get to try some very high-end headphone rigs some day (or not maybe, as the experience can be seriously damaging to your wallet).
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #8,234 of 18,459
I pitty him but ignore him none the less, do not have that much time to waste. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #8,235 of 18,459
Mr. Green, just to share my experience, as you know, before I have my LCD-2, I'm quite skeptic, I asked around people's opinion in this thread, ... I ask you too. 
But after I have it, like you said, if I like HD650, I will like LCD-2, you're right! I like LCD-2 very much, much much more than HD650 to the point I'm quite hesitant to listen to HD650 anymore, it sounded harsh on the treble.

Just a little suggestion, you should try other amp that might match your LCD-2, not necessarily the more expensive amp the better, that's BS, but amp also have color, it may happened that the amp you have doesn't fit 2's frequency curve nicely.  I hear many people said HR-2 'color' is one of the best match to HD800 in a way it reduce HD800 spike and boost 800's deficiencies, since HD800 is quite a total opposite of '2', I don't think is a good idea to pair them, not that I have heard HR-2, so this is just pure speculative.

I tried 2 with my SS and other tube amp that I have, they sounded very different to the point even a non audiophile can tell the difference, you should give it a try, really. 
In general, tube amp give more boost to HF, while SS (BCL) give more punch on the bass with slightly roll off treble (or whatever you call it, shelved, recessed), except the Leben, it has nice sparkling smooth HF and BASS punch even more than BCL.  But I'm very happy with all of my amp, they are my amp for collection 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back