Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #8,206 of 18,459
Please do not presume what I am or not interested in, if "both of you" is referring to me. As to bitter people, that sounds like something coming from within you as I don't see that many bitter people around here. What I do see is a number of people that assist and dialogue and I know from the number of emails that I get, that there are a number of people that enjoy discussing audio and giving mutual help. 

I will now turn my ATP to enjoying some more music. 

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #8,207 of 18,459
Mr. Green, I'm pretty sure the majority of people who have heard the LCD-2 actually did like them, and that you are in fact in the minority. Which is fine, and there are always going to be people in different camps. But your bit about "people withe better gear than most LCD-2 owners" agreeing with you is kind of duplicitous to the thrust of your argument about your own gear not being the issue, isn't it? I for one don't think your gear invalidates your own opinion of the LCD-2. But your opinion is still the more the outlying one, regardless of how convicted you are.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #8,208 of 18,459
Hi, Skylab.

Quote:
Mr. Green, I'm pretty sure the majority of people who have heard the LCD-2 actually did like them

Great. I have no problem with that. I've said in most of my posts - to my ears etc. People have different tastes.

Quote:
and that you are in fact in the minority

I am aware. Funnily enough, I think most people I actually know who have heard the headphone agree with me on most counts in spite of our many disagreements (for example I dislike grado models below the RS1)

Quote:
But your bit about "people withe better gear than most LCD-2 owners" agreeing with you is kind of duplicitous to the thrust of your argument about your own gear not being the issue, isn't it?

No, it's a preemptive strike against the onslaught of comments that would have come if I had not made an agressive post. And do not pretend it wouldn't have come - it's head-fi. It happens ALL THE TIME. Pointing out that there are people with better gear who agree with me merely raises questions about the validity of the "you need better gear" argument.

"I find the HD650 veiled"
"Thats because you don't have a silver cable"

"I find the K701 has bad bass impact"
"You need a better amp and you need to burn it in for 500 hours"

Maybe these people just don't like the headphone.

I'm not particularly convicted about much, I'm pretty relaxed. I do have a personal vendetta against elitism in audiophile circles, however. I have seen much friendlier folk and things are much better when people are just enjoying music instead of circlejerking over their gear. Meets are a good example of this - I have never seen a bunch of people rave and piss over a piece of kit at meets. Not saying this is the case with the LCD-2, merely an observation about Head-fi overall (the recent M50 and other various flavour of the month phenomena are an excellent example). In fact, I think the LCD-2 is worthy of a lot of praise for the bass alone which is the best I have heard in ah eadphone. At meets, I actually find that we tend to talk about music more than the headphones.

Quote:
jamato8 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please do not presume what I am or not interested in, if "both of you" is referring to me. As to bitter people, that sounds like something coming from within you as I don't see that many bitter people around here. What I do see is a number of people that assist and dialogue and I know from the number of emails that I get, that there are a number of people that enjoy discussing audio and giving mutual help. 

I will now turn my ATP to enjoying some more music. 

If you like, I'm willing to engage in a lengthy discussion about my gear (some of which I have given away to friends now) if you're actually interested in it. I'm not sure how many headphone boards you attend, but for the most part the culture is very different (worse) at head-fi and one needs to develop a tough skin to cope with it. There are plenty of very nice members on head-fi. I posted about several members who have been very kind in one of those poll threads DavidMahler posted.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #8,209 of 18,459
Though I like these cans a lot, I couldn't care less if anyone else agreed with me - and for this reason, I have been enjoying your comments Mr Green.  But I dunno... I'd argue that a "preemptive strike" puts you on the same level as those elitist asshats that you mentioned

On topic:  Ironic that you only like the RS1 and "above," and dislike the LCD-2s.  I ONLY like the RS2 and "below," and I love the LCD-2s.  I wonder if this is related, since the RS1 and GS1000 both have a greater high frequency response than the RS2 and SR series

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #8,210 of 18,459

Quote:
Though I like these cans a lot, I couldn't care less if anyone else agreed with me - and for this reason, I have been enjoying your comments Mr Green.  But I dunno... I'd argue that a "preemptive strike" puts you on the same level as those elitist asshats that you mentioned

If you'll allow me to make fun of myself for a moment

biggrin.gif

Edit: RE: Grado. I don't consider the GS1k to be above the RS1 :wink:. I wouldn't spend much money on a grado. I didn't want to pass judgement on grados I havent heard (Hp1 etc). I found the SR series wasn't very refined (Havent heard SR325). I actually didn't have a problem with treble response for the grados - even the MS1.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #8,212 of 18,459

Quote:

Well said, El_Doug.  I was going to write something similar, but you've stated it quite well.  As far as the ratio of asshats to those who don't wear a crown of ass, I was going to suggest, Mr Green, that you just ignore the former, and enjoy the latter.  They are pretty easy to distinguish after reading only a few posts, as I'm sure you've discovered.  I appreciate some of your comments as well, and you don't need me or anyone else to remind you that you're entitled to your opinion. 

That said, regarding the source having a consistent affect on everything downstream of it (which is what I'm understanding you to opine), I would observe that my experience informs me quite differently.  A source may have greater synergy with one amp over another due to impedance matching, for instance.  This could play itself out in a loss of dynamics, compressed staging, among other ways.  In general, perhaps there is less potential for a major audio faux pas, than the amp>speaker link (where a screw-up could make a system worthless as far as listening). To say it's going to yield consistent attributes and pitfalls no matter what you attach to it is certainly not consistent with my experience. 

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #8,213 of 18,459

Quote:
A source may have greater synergy with one amp over another due to impedance matching, for instance.  

That's true, but I think most amps have similar impedance inputs now (about 30-50kohms)? Not sure. Last time I checked anyway. I think it has to do with popular pot choices, which are tpyically 50k or 100kohms. Likewise most have either 0 or 120 ohm outputs.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #8,214 of 18,459

Quote:
That's true, but I think most amps have similar impedance inputs now (about 30-50kohms)? Not sure. Last time I checked anyway. I think it has to do with popular pot choices, which are tpyically 50k or 100kohms. Likewise most have either 0 or 120 ohm outputs.

The latter part is not true.  OTL tube amps have widely varying output impedances.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #8,215 of 18,459
Funnily enough, the only OTL tube amp I have experience with (littledot MKIII) has an input impedance of 50k Ohms. I think the Darkvoices either have 55k, 50k or 16k.

edit: oh I see yo uwere talking about outputs. Well, for most solid state amplifiers, they use high Z (120 ohm) and low Z (0 ohm) jacks. I think ~0 ohm is considered the standard these days

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #8,219 of 18,459
Here on Pohnpei cabbage is served with everything. No, not grown here but imported from mostly California. Cabbage this and cabbage that, so much cabbage but it is good for you, in most forms. 

Preemptive sounds very self important and assigning oneself quite a bit of influence, either positive or negative. 

I think there are a number of nice people here that go out of their way to help. I have seen a couple of other boards and one can get very nasty and it isn't Headfi. 

Listening to Joe Bonamassa, "Live from nowhere in particular". Very open, imaging and dynamics. Oh, using the LCD-2. Hey it's all good. 

Looking out at the bay with soft clouds over head and the electricity that was down for a few hours back on. It can be tough on an island with one working generator that was aging when it arrived here from Japan and too many Christmas lights running day and night. At leas I have battery power for "the sound". 

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #8,220 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
No offense of course.

Seems like it

Maybe I shouldn't post on an empty stomach?  All I'm saying is that there's a difference between opinions/preferences, and facts and it gets messy when preferences are expressed as facts especially when official looking graphs are involved.  I'm not saying I know the difference, I'm just saying that it gets messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back