Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8,251 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
jermng said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm too tired to read every post in detail, but I do notice "mid-range congestion" when I listen with a DACMagic as source, but NOT with an iBasso D12 as DAC, both driven by an Asgard.

I'm sure I would have noticed it on headphones that were retrieving superior detail to the LCD-2 - particularly those that are less subtle about it. Regardless, I suppose when I upgrade to something everyone can agree is high end, I'll give the LCD-2 another go.

Well, I'm sure of what I'm hearing too ... and btw, the iBasso D12 is not a high end DAC - it's a portable amp/dac and cheaper than a DACmagic. 

Sometimes it's about synergy between different components in the system .... 

..... and not always having to be right. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #8,252 of 18,459
This is just a side note, but I notice that the LCD-1 and LCD-2 actually measure quite similarly. Although I don't agree with their design choices, I think there aren't enough companies with a design "ethic" I suppose, which involves refinement on a sound they enjoy. Off the top of my head I can think of grado, stax, etymotic and audeze. The fact that the LCD-2 sounds nothing like any of those brands is a good sign from a variety stand point.

Quote:
jermng said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure, we got to the moon with physics that was technically wrong, but who doesn't like being right? :wink:

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #8,253 of 18,459
Quote:
Well, although the LCD2 is rather easy to drive, I wouldn't discount the notion that a good amplifier to drive it is not important. the moral of the story is do not discount your signal chain no matter how trivial they appear to be and you will never know, until you try it yourself. 

x2

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #8,254 of 18,459
Pink Floyd "Pulse" live, A Great Day for Freedom. I haven't listened to this with the LCD-2. The entire CD is well portrayed. From the growl of the bass (literally), wining guitar to the majestic sound stage, a very enjoyable experience and more so than with my other phones. 

I am listening balanced. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #8,255 of 18,459

Quote:
This is just a side note, but I notice that the LCD-1 and LCD-2 actually measure quite similarly. Although I don't agree with their design choices, I think there aren't enough companies with a design "ethic" I suppose, which involves refinement on a sound they enjoy. Off the top of my head I can think of grado, stax, etymotic and audeze. The fact that the LCD-2 sounds nothing like any of those brands is a good sign from a variety stand point.

Quote:
jermng said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure, we got to the moon with physics that was technically wrong, but who doesn't like being right? :wink:

who said we actually got to the moon? have you experienced the moon first hand?

Oh wait... my name is not Mr. Green  :wink:

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,256 of 18,459
Not only did we land, but...

Lol, couldn't resist!

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #8,257 of 18,459
Jeez, Michael Bay really went over-board with the "HELL YEAH AMERICA", even though the moon landing sequence was in the original.

Getting into space was a better achievement than landing on the moon anyway :wink:

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #8,261 of 18,459
Today I spent time with the Edition 10, T1, HD800, HE-6, and LCD-2, while trying to get a handle on the sound of the Edition 10. Of these, I prefer the treble presentation of the LCD-2 best. In fact, I prefer them PERIOD.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #8,262 of 18,459

Quote:
Today I spent time with the Edition 10, T1, HD800, HE-6, and LCD-2, while trying to get a handle on the sound of the Edition 10. Of these, I prefer the treble presentation of the LCD-2 best. In fact, I prefer them PERIOD.

It's official then, you are a certifiable Planar-head 
basshead.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #8,263 of 18,459

Quote:

With that post alone you probably generated a dozen sales
o2smile.gif
  Were you sticking to the Leben as an amp, or were you changing that up as well?  I'm on the list to give the Apex Peak a listen - I'm looking forward to that, though the WA6SEm does a pretty damn good job with them.  I'm on the fence with the highs though - on one hand, as I've indicated, there seems to be much MIA in that region, while on the other, the cans that err in the other direction give me a headache in short order.  Headphones are just less of a priority for me as I much prefer speakers and will listen to music on one of my speaker rigs whenever the choice is there.  Consequently I'm a one-headphone kind of guy, but it has to be damn good and I'd certainly agree that the LCD-2's do most things just right for me too.  The only direct comparison I've done with them is to the HD800's which resulted in my selling my HD800's.  Those two do complement each other in some ways.....on vocals I'd always reach for the LCD-2's, while on instrumental, acoustic music (Classical, jazz, early music) I'd grab the HD800's.  I guess in that way I can understand why so many of you guys have more than one pair of cans.  

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #8,264 of 18,459
I used both the Leben and the Woo WA2 in the comparisons. This wasn't meant to be any formal comparison, but it did kind of cement for me what I had been thinking for a while, having been spending a bunch of time with all of these fine, fine headphones lately.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #8,265 of 18,459

Quote:
I used both the Leben and the Woo WA2 in the comparisons. This wasn't meant to be any formal comparison, but it did kind of cement for me what I had been thinking for a while, having been spending a bunch of time with all of these fine, fine headphones lately.

I am not surprised you still prefer the LCD2 over all the others. I really like them also and they are so good on the Taboo on classical now. But I still love the T1 on the CSP-2. Its great because they are different but the T1 still is no slouch and still belongs in the top tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back