Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #8,011 of 18,459

Quote:
I would venture that an LCD-2 out of an E7/E9 would best the HD650 out of damn near anything.

Well, a NuForce HDP or (ambitiously dreaming) Meier StageDac->Concerta would be the very next purchase.  That way I can relegate the E7/E9 and HD 650 to bedroom duty.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #8,012 of 18,459
Just got my pair from fedex.. Took 2 days from Cali to ship to Montreal, quite impressive! So far my very early impressions:

- They do feel quite heavy on my head, will need to adjust to it
- Great packing from Audeze
- Sound wise what stands out to me the most so far is the punchiness and fullness of the bass. I've been craving for this in my headphones for... well, since I got into headphones really.

I'll let them burn in over christmas eve and come back tomorrow to more presents :)

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #8,013 of 18,459

Quote:
Just got my pair from fedex.. Took 2 days from Cali to ship to Montreal, quite impressive! So far my very early impressions:

- They do feel quite heavy on my head, will need to adjust to it
- Great packing from Audeze
- Sound wise what stands out to me the most so far is the punchiness and fullness of the bass. I've been craving for this in my headphones for... well, since I got into headphones really.

I'll let them burn in over christmas eve and come back tomorrow to more presents :)

Even Audeze says there is 0 burn in for the LCD-2... planars do not need it... so they are just like dynamics :wink:

Congrats on the awesome headphones!

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #8,014 of 18,459
Mine JUST got here too. Audeze has made some improvements. The wooden box seems nicer with a higher gloss varnish, and it is now double-boxed with extra bubble wrap/foam/peanuts protecting it. The wood oil is not in a bag with the paperwork anymore, this is an improvement as the paperwork got "oiled" last time. The headphones are the same, but the band seems lighter weight and more flexible. The blocks are the new aluminum, and the cable is the improved version sans techflex and with a new style of cup connector. I like the new cable much better and am glad Audeze sent me the standard SE cable.

They will now thaw out a bit while I have breakfast. They are hooked up to the WA22, hanging out on their reserved headphone hangar, ready and waiting for me like an old friend that showed up just in time for the holidays 
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #8,015 of 18,459
So I've finally received the LCD-2 just in the nick of time on Christmas Eve yesterday. I would like to thank Audez'e/Sankar for going out of his way to make things right and Calico for letting me audition his LCD-2 for the first time which triggered my decision in the first place and last but not the least, the folks in this thread. 

I think mine is supposed to be the latest revision like the one grokit has received. No horrible techflex on the cable and fit seems to be better than the original version that I had tried. Sound-wise, it's as good as I could remember and I seriously appreciate the fact that you don't need a monster amp to get the full potential of the LCD-2. It's even pretty listenable out of my ol' trusty Sony NWZ-A818 and did I say how much I love the imaging on this thing? 

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8,017 of 18,459
Congrats! That's an awesome Christmas present. I'll have to bring out my setup and let my relatives give it a listen this evening. I may convert some people over to the dark side.
evil_smiley.gif

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #8,018 of 18,459
Congrats... The LCD-2 is so good it´s more easy then ever to not jump "on the next great thing"... I find myself thinking the HE-6 and ED 10 seems to be really nice plus the older headphones I haven´t heard of course :wink:. Maybe better but why would I care considering how good my system sounds currently. Thought upgraditis was uncurable but perhaps not :D

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #8,019 of 18,459
Yep, there's always something new/better right around the corner, but I think I have come to  a resting point for cans ATM. I still want to improve my HE-6 source and get a "holy grail" rectifier tube for my WA22 though. There's an Edition 8 with my name on it down the road a bit as I sell other stuff off but I believe I have come to a long pause overall cash-outlay wise, just in time too lol.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #8,020 of 18,459
Hi LCD-2 owners and possible future owners,
Just to let you know that I feel that the sound signatures change quite radically when I play through different amps. So far, I am a portable amp nut, I seem to get the best sound out of the ALO Rx Mk2. I am looking to get a Woo 5 sometime or a Leben CS-300XS.
Whatever the set up you have, I feel that these will be a wondrous edition to your system.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #8,021 of 18,459
The LCD-2 is sounding GREAT single-ended through my Bravo > Mini-i > WA22; I can't wait for the balanced cable to arrive!

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #8,022 of 18,459
My new toy is the HE-6 but both of these headphones have set a new bar for sound quality.

After the holidays, we are having a tweaker's party with the LCD-2, HE-6, HD800 & PS1000. Some fine cans these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back