Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #7,981 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Mr. Green I think you listen w/ your eyes.  Your continued praise of Etymotic placing them on the same detail level as the LCD2 is absurd.  I've owned the ER4S...twice.  Easily bested by the CK10, DBA02, D7000, ESP950 and my own modded T50RP which is currently my resolution king.  I honestly think there was/is something wrong w/ your listening of the LCD2 based on a few of your comments.

He's only mentionning the Etys because they're using diffused field equalization. I don't think he's talking about technical level at all.

I understand that.  However, about 50 pages back he clearly said the LCD2's detail retrieval was on par w/ his ER4S which is simply false.  

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #7,983 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, that's the sound of digital grunge from cheap sources.

You mean the exaggerated delay?  IME it's the sound of parasitic resonances in the cups and the grilles.  IME that's where the LCD-2's characteristic colorations come from.

That would be easy to test/fix.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #7,984 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

You mean the exaggerated delay?  IME it's the sound of parasitic resonances in the cups and the grilles.  IME that's where the LCD-2's characteristic colorations come from.

Well its time for you to experience something new.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #7,985 of 18,459

Quote:
I understand that.  However, about 50 pages back he clearly said the LCD2's detail retrieval was on par w/ his ER4S which is simply false.  

I didn't hear anything on the LCD-2's I didn't hear on the ER4S (except for bass impact). The quality was of course much better, but that's another issue.

If you've read the entire thread you'll notice that I mentioned we all listen differently.

Quote:
InnerSpace said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
SP Wild said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't forget backwave, mang

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #7,986 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well its time for you to experience something new.

I wish.  Instead, it's old ... reminds me of speakers from 30 years ago.  Same type of issue.  Smear, overhang, coloration.

I love the fact that two guys in a garage can compete, but the LCD-2 is not ready for prime time.  Not quite.  Not yet.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #7,987 of 18,459

Quote:

Had not thought about that, but now that you mention it, that could be it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #7,988 of 18,459
As a former owner of Staxes (Omegas and Lambdas), I can see how this decay/slowness issue would stand out to someone who heard both the Staxes and LCD2s,
as the Staxes are champions in speed and rhythm to my ears.
So I can appreciate where Mr. GreenJeans is coming from, and I respect that impression.

But something's always lost and gained, and I am a convert to the kind of roundness and silky smoothness in dynamics, which the LCD2s do better than any of the dynamics I own.
And to my ears, the LCD2s make the 650's images sound papery and flat and lacking some level of truth.
Of course, I also think the HD800s, T1s, and PS1000s also have much more
reach than the 650s, even though you need to deal with different kinds of brightness in all of these via tubes/cables/amps/source or whatever.

I think the LCD2s invite comparisons to the 650s because they do not seem to have intrinsic brightness issues.
Specifically, even though they have great detail in tonality and image size/shape/texture, they are not bright, and that makes them special and unique among dynamics.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #7,989 of 18,459

Quote:
As a former owner of Staxes (Omegas and Lambdas), I can see how this decay/slowness issue would stand out to someone who heard both the Staxes and LCD2s,
So I can appreciate where Mr. GreenJeans is coming from, and I respect that impression.

But something's always lost and gained, and I am a convert to the kind of roundness and silky smoothness in dynamics, which the LCD2s do better than any of the dynamics I own.
And to my ears, the LCD2s make the 650's images sound papery and flat and lacking some level of truth.
reach than the 650s, even though you need to deal with different kinds of brightness in all of these via tubes/cables/amps/source or whatever.

I think the LCD2s invite comparisons to the 650s because they do not seem to have intrinsic brightness issues.
Specifically, even though they have great detail in tonality and image size/shape/texture, they are not bright, and that makes them special and unique among dynamics.

Well said.  I think nit picking the speed in relation to a stat w/o extolling the virtue of the naturalness and fullness of an ortho is biased.  I enjoy both in my collection and see no need to constantly harp on one of their deficiencies as a major design flaw.  It's a shame some can't have a a more eclectic taste and approach to listening.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #7,990 of 18,459

Quote:

Here's a fun fact. I heard the LCD2 before I heard any stax (well I heard the baby stax very briefly but had a very poor seal at the time) and still didn't like it and still noticed the issue.

Coming from an ER4
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #7,992 of 18,459
LCD-2 scheduled to arrive tomorrow, gonna be a great Christmas!

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #7,993 of 18,459

Quote:
LCD-2 scheduled to arrive tomorrow, gonna be a great Christmas!

Just under the wire! Make sure you go to bed really early tomorrow before you know who comes down the chimney with your LCD-2s.
wink_face.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #7,994 of 18,459

Quote:
 Do these headphones have more bass than the Denon AH-D1100s?

less bass than my D7000 but more linear and of better quality. The D7000 are great too but have a bit too much of a subbass bump.
Don't know how similar the D1100 to the d7000 are but they certainly could no match the quality of the LCD-2 but maybe the quantity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back