Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #7,966 of 18,459

Quote:
A more logical discussion than LCD2 vs HD650...I think the comparison with STAX is far more logical.  The HD650s should never be brought up in this thread ever again...other than to say that there is no comparison.

Are the LCD-2 that big a jump from the HD 650?  I was blown away by the HD 650 coming from Grado SR80i.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #7,967 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
A more logical discussion than LCD2 vs HD650...I think the comparison with STAX is far more logical.  The HD650s should never be brought up in this thread ever again...other than to say that there is no comparison.

x2

Are the LCD-2 that big a jump from the HD 650?  I was blown away by the HD 650 coming from Grado SR80i.

Oh yes!

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #7,968 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

x2

Oh yes!

So I would be blown away again?  Is an E7/E9 enough to start, or would a totally new amp be an absolute requirement immediately to sound much better than the HD 650?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #7,971 of 18,459
Even if you disliked the HD 650 you may be in love with the LCD-2 I would say :D
Quote:
I stil think it's safe (and useful)  to say that if you like the sound signature of the HD650, you'll definitely like the LCD2. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #7,973 of 18,459

Quote:
As far as the excess-decay in the LCD2, I heard that also loud and clear with the stock SE cable and it really bothered me. But as I mentioned above, the ALO XLR cables address this problem to a large extent.
With the stock cable, it seems to happen in almost all CDs, but now, it is reduced in all CDs and vanishes in many. In fact, I would say that with the ALOs, the midrange decay (and overall speed)
is equal to my T1s (stock cable, single ended).

I listened to my (very old) Johnny Rivers hits CD where his vocals have an annoying, almost ringing overhang. It was headache-producing with the LCD2 & SE stock cable, but was reduced enough
for non-painful listening with the ALO XLRs.Then I tried my T1s and noticed the same level of overhang as I did with the LCD2 XLRs.
So it sounds to me like the ALO XLRs, if not completely curing this problem, at least make it equivalent to a stock T1.

I tried some other CDs I know well and do not suffer from a loose midrange (Grass Roots, Carole King-Music, 3-Dog-Night) and the mids were also as firm as the T1s. And on my SACDs that I tried (Rolling Stones Hot Rocks and Boston),
things were totally tight and with no flaws at all and just provide what my hypercritical self calls an awesome musical experience.

I think this decay thing has something to do with digital glare, which is a tough test speakers and phones in general.

I also have PS1000s, and they seem to have the firmest midrange and best, most natural decay than either the T1s or LCD2s, and I turn to them for CDs that have this problem.
But the LCD2s are smoother than the Grados, and the upper highs are more liquid than the T1s. I love the upper highs of the LCD2s for their complete lack of bitterness.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this:  You're saying that with the stock cable, the decay (how long a sound lingers) is longer than with the aftermarket cable? 

It seems the stock cable is allowing more musical information through than the aftermarket cable, no?

This doesn't make much sense to me.  If I swapped out my speaker cables and found that the new one shortened how long the notes hang on, I dont' think I'd consider that an improvement in any way, shape or form. 

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly?

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #7,974 of 18,459

Quote:
Just to make sure I'm understanding this:  You're saying that with the stock cable, the decay (how long a sound lingers) is longer than with the aftermarket cable? 

It seems the stock cable is allowing more musical information through than the aftermarket cable, no?

This doesn't make much sense to me.  If I swapped out my speaker cables and found that the new one shortened how long the notes hang on, I dont' think I'd consider that an improvement in any way, shape or form. 

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly?

Could be to do with the additional voltage allowing the driver to move better?

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #7,975 of 18,459
Yes, the LCD2s with the stock cable (SE) and rarely but still sometimes with the ALOs has decay in an unnatural way that, to my ears, can be annoying.
It seems to happen in the upper midrange. It is the kind of annoyance as if someone held a bell up to my ears and rang it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #7,976 of 18,459
I agree and heard the same thing, although it continued down most of the midrange IMO. I was also using the stock cable (as I think an upgrade from SE->Balanced is a valid one based on the doubling of voltage, depending on your amp)

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #7,977 of 18,459
Yup, that's the sound of digital grunge from cheap sources.  I think that's what you guys are finally able to hear with the resolving power of the LCD2.  I call it "digititis" and so does everyone else that hears it and knows what it is.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #7,978 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm surprised no one had a go for me at the "audiographic memory is not very reliable"- a comment made with tongue firmly in cheek. :p

I thought it was an interesting phrase. If true audiographic, it would be as true now as a year from now no matter how you place your tongue. :^) 

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #7,979 of 18,459

Quote:
Yup, that's the sound of digital grunge from cheap sources.  I think that's what you guys are finally able to hear with the resolving power of the LCD2.  I call it "digititis" and so does everyone else that hears it and knows what it is.

No, I'm afraid that's not how it works. For a start, people complaining about it would be hearing extra detail in music not an "overhang". Then there's the whole argument about the audibility of difference between Dacs (which I won't bother talking about since I've yet to try the high end myself - but many dacs seem to be above what is generally considered "audible" in terms of distortion to say the least (whcich I believe is 1%. Most dacs are about 0.01 to 0.0065).

Don't we have the same source?

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #7,980 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

No, I'm afraid that's not how it works. For a start, people complaining about it would be hearing extra detail in music not an "overhang". Then there's the whole argument about the audibility of difference between Dacs (which I won't bother talking about since I've yet to try the high end myself - but many dacs seem to be above what is generally considered "audible" in terms of distortion to say the least (whcich I believe is 1%. Most dacs are about 0.01 to 0.0065).

Don't we have the same source?

I think you should do less reading and more saving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back