Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #8,026 of 18,459
Interesting, thanks for letting me know. :)

So far the 3 ppl i've auditions my headphones all preferred the T1 over the LCD-2.. they prefer the soundstage of the T1 and its clarity. I personally prefer the LCD-2. 

Quote:
Quote:
Just got my pair from fedex.. Took 2 days from Cali to ship to Montreal, quite impressive! So far my very early impressions:

- They do feel quite heavy on my head, will need to adjust to it
- Great packing from Audeze
- Sound wise what stands out to me the most so far is the punchiness and fullness of the bass. I've been craving for this in my headphones for... well, since I got into headphones really.

I'll let them burn in over christmas eve and come back tomorrow to more presents :)

Even Audeze says there is 0 burn in for the LCD-2... planars do not need it... so they are just like dynamics :wink:

Congrats on the awesome headphones!

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #8,027 of 18,459
A/B'ing with my HD800, the LCD-2 is really the perfect compliment, or foil to it. It really depends on the recording which I prefer, and on a good recording sometimes I can't decide.

Not a bad dillema to have, really 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #8,028 of 18,459
Just got my pair yesterday, thanks Galactus. Perfect timing. First thing I did is replaced the blocks for the alluminium ones as one of the plastic onces was a little cracked. After adjusting the fit, they feel quite well. Hopefully will find time today to get the rest of my rig setup and give them a spin. This thread is crazy 536 pages long?  wow :)

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #8,029 of 18,459
That's 536 pages of pure on-topic wisdom, no straying in this thread lol.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #8,030 of 18,459
I do not agree with Audez'e on the burn in. I have heard the phone, in comparison to a base line of a couple of other phones I have that have 1000's of hours on them, go up and down in sound quality from the point of new out of box. If I had nothing to compare to I would assume it is my ears but with a control group of phones, to my ear, I could hear detail change for the better and worse, as well as transparency and staging. All areas improved with more hours and became more consistent after 70 hours or so. Some believe in burn in, some don't. That is fine but these are my observations and what I heard. 

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #8,031 of 18,459
Could it be burn-in or perhaps placebo...but this Norse Audio cable just gets better and better...I'm sold on single crystal OCC wiring.  The jump is as big as going from good interconnects to my Audioquest Cheetah solid silver DBS cables...but for 1/5th of the cost.  In terms of cables...this is good value, that is if one believes in cables.  It makes LCD2s smoother, more "open", delicate and detailed...the stock cables come off sounding thin and compressed in comparison.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #8,032 of 18,459
I received mine a few weeks ago and have had some time during the holiday to get fully acquainted with it. Overall I'm satisfied with these headphones, however I noticed some flaws that should be pointed out:

1. The JMoney pads are extremely firm and made of lower quality, rougher leather, in my opinion, than the MDR-R10 pads, which fit perfectly on the LCD-2 (after removing the two brass fittings) and are of the same diameter, 4.4". If you're able to find a replacement pair, I suggest making the switch. They're both attached with sticky adhesive tape.

2. The mini-XLR plugs are bulky and get in the way in regards to head mobility. I can't look down or turn my head side-to-side without the plugs hitting my collarbone, so I plan to switch the cable and connect it directly to the terminals without the use of the mini-XLR plugs. Luckily, after removing the two nuts and wires from the terminals, the male end of the mini-XLR and metal reinforcement piece, which are attached together, can be unscrewed from the wooden frame with a pair pliers and cloth (to avoid any scratching). Also, albeit very short, the stranded wires connecting the mini-XLR to the terminals look pretty generic, and if I'm going to upgrade the cable, I'd want them to go directly to the terminals.
This should also somewhat reduce the weight of the headphones.

3. I'm still trying to get used to the strong clamping tension of the headband and haven't yet found a way to relieve the pressure. Bending it doesn't seem to help and I do not want to damage it. Let's hope Audeze will offer/sell customizable user-upgradeable headbands in the future.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #8,033 of 18,459
The R10 pads are 300 dollars. They should be nice for that price. If I had my sewing machine I would make my own since I used to be in the business but alas, too heavy for the island. :^)

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #8,035 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
A more logical discussion than LCD2 vs HD650...I think the comparison with STAX is far more logical.  The HD650s should never be brought up in this thread ever again...other than to say that there is no comparison.

Are the LCD-2 that big a jump from the HD 650?  I was blown away by the HD 650 coming from Grado SR80i.

No comparison it is, full vote for LCD-2, except the weight 
biggrin.gif
  can we compare to Stax now, I'm more interested to compare to Stax than any other Dynamic cans.

This baby is sooooo FAST, it makes HD650 sounds sllllooooow, not suitable to music like Floorfillers genre, trance.  I find myself listening to more genres now because those genre that was previously doesn't sound good on HD650, all work with LCD-2.

Quote:
Quote:

So I would be blown away again?  Is an E7/E9 enough to start, or would a totally new amp be an absolute requirement immediately to sound much better than the HD 650?

Yes, yes again ...

Quote:
I stil think it's safe (and useful)  to say that if you like the sound signature of the HD650, you'll definitely like the LCD2. 

More or less yes ...

Quote:
Yes, the LCD2s with the stock cable (SE) and rarely but still sometimes with the ALOs has decay in an unnatural way that, to my ears, can be annoying.
It seems to happen in the upper midrange. It is the kind of annoyance as if someone held a bell up to my ears and rang it.

Somehow I hear this too, but too minor for me to consider I say HD650 or Stax O2 is better (for me).  Overall LCD-2 still the better one for me, even considering those 'resonance' and the weight.  Actually the resonance only happen for small number of my album, not all, I can just lower the volume and that's fine.  I suspect it's the recording, cos with my majority of my albums I don't hear that.

Quote:
Could it be burn-in or perhaps placebo...but this Norse Audio cable just gets better and better...I'm sold on single crystal OCC wiring.  The jump is as big as going from good interconnects to my Audioquest Cheetah solid silver DBS cables...but for 1/5th of the cost.  In terms of cables...this is good value, that is if one believes in cables.  It makes LCD2s smoother, more "open", delicate and detailed...the stock cables come off sounding thin and compressed in comparison.

Hey SP, I'm using Nores cable too, primarily because the stock cable is so micropohinc for low level listening, and it's beautiful, that braided cable.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #8,036 of 18,459
Quote:
No comparison it is, full vote for LCD-2, except the weight 
biggrin.gif
  can we compare to Stax now, I'm more interested to compare to Stax than any other Dynamic cans.

This baby is sooooo FAST, it makes HD650 sounds sllllooooow, not suitable to music like Floorfillers genre, trance.  I find myself listening to more genres now because those genre that was previously doesn't sound good on HD650, all work with LCD-2.

Glad you're enjoying them! I've been considering a grabbing a stat as a compliment for the LCD-2. Nothing too expensive though maybe $400-500 or so. I'm going to have to read up on my options....either that or put it towards some speakers. Any pointers?

I've found myself listening to a lot more female vocals than my main genre (electronic) now. I've also bought/discovered a lot more music since I got the LCD2s so it's a win as far as I'm concerned.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #8,037 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
A more logical discussion than LCD2 vs HD650...I think the comparison with STAX is far more logical.  The HD650s should never be brought up in this thread ever again...other than to say that there is no comparison.

Agree SP Wild, agree! I finally understand what you mean, LCD-2 is really a different level up to HD650.

I told you so, didn't I tell you so?  yes that's what I thought, indeed I told you so.  Just to be cheeky, one more time.  I told you so! 
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #8,038 of 18,459

Quote:
 I told you so, didn't I tell you so?  yes that's what I thought, indeed I told you so.  Just to be cheeky, one more time.  I told you so! 
tongue.gif

Gloat, gloat, gloat............ and gloat again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back