Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,592 of 13,139
Don't cont out the Magnni until  you've heard it. It sounds just great with orthos like HE500 and LCD2. And it's cheaper and more reliable than a decent vintage amp.

In all honesty I've not seen anything bad written about M&M. Everyone seems to be heaping praise on them. Probably a little snobbery on my part to think that such a cheap amp wouldn't be up to the job of driving expensive headphones. Perhaps I should give it a go.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,596 of 13,139
Quote:
The magni is awesome with the lcd-2. I have to disagree with the cheaper and more reliable claim. Many of the vintage amps just need a re capping and they can run another 40 years no problem. We have yet to see a 40 yr. old magni. I would say size and weight are the 2 biggest advantages the magni has over vintage.

You made my point in your counterargument - a vintage amp would have to be recapped in order to be brought back to original spec and "reset the clock" as far as reliability goes. This can easily surpass $100 in parts alone if you choose the DIY route - or multiples of hundreds if you choose to have a technician perform the work. The Magni on the other hand is only $100 total - cheaper if bought used. For the budget, the Magni seems to me like a no-brainer. But my hobby has been repairing and restoring vintage amplifiers for the last 7 years, so I'm biased. A recapped top of the line vintage amp will cost several hundred dollars even in poor working order unless you find a 'steal' at a flea market or estate sale.

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,597 of 13,139
I visited my friends house on Saturday. He lives with his older brother, who is the person who got me and him interested in high fidelity audio. While I have a Sennheiser HD 518 played through an Aune T1 at the moment, his brother owns a LCD2, T1 and other high end headphones + amps. 

I listened to the Audeze LCD2 and Beyerdynamic T1 headphones on Saturday through his Burson amp. Before this I had only listened to the HD600 and DT880 that were in their household. The headphones were very impressive but I loved the LCD2 sound. So effortless and smooth, while the T1 had plenty of treble energy with a spike up near the top. The soundstage was bigger than I typically like, but it was impressive in ways. Coming from a Sennheiser 518, the level of quality of the LCD2 was insane, as taste of the top tier sound out there. The LCD2 was faster than the T1 to my ears and very detailed. While cymbals on the T1 seemed strident at times the LCD2 sounded a lot more forgiving. LCD2 seemed just as 3d to me but more intimate while I liked.

The bass was amazingly detailed and went low as it gets. I greatly enjoyed hearing bass nuances in my music (Progressive Metal, Alt Rock, Post Rock tracks mostly) that I didn't even know existed. Tool and Porcupine Tree sounded exquisite through the headphone. The midrange and guitars sounded insanely good, like I had never really heard before. 

Unfortunately there is no way I could afford a $1k headphone right now, maybe a mid fi can upgrade but as a high school student it is next to impossible. Either way I enjoyed getting an eye opener to what sound is possible in this hobby. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,598 of 13,139
Ive decided to buy Q Audio cable for my LCD2''s. Currently I have 1/4" jack on my amp, but who knows, maybe I change amp and get one with XLR.
Does it hurt the sound to buy a XLR cable with XLR - 1/4" jack adapter? 
Yes im a noob

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,600 of 13,139
Quote:
I visited my friends house on Saturday. He lives with his older brother, who is the person who got me and him interested in high fidelity audio. While I have a Sennheiser HD 518 played through an Aune T1 at the moment, his brother owns a LCD2, T1 and other high end headphones + amps. 

I listened to the Audeze LCD2 and Beyerdynamic T1 headphones on Saturday through his Burson amp. Before this I had only listened to the HD600 and DT880 that were in their household. The headphones were very impressive but I loved the LCD2 sound. So effortless and smooth, while the T1 had plenty of treble energy with a spike up near the top. The soundstage was bigger than I typically like, but it was impressive in ways. Coming from a Sennheiser 518, the level of quality of the LCD2 was insane, as taste of the top tier sound out there. The LCD2 was faster than the T1 to my ears and very detailed. While cymbals on the T1 seemed strident at times the LCD2 sounded a lot more forgiving. LCD2 seemed just as 3d to me but more intimate while I liked.

The bass was amazingly detailed and went low as it gets. I greatly enjoyed hearing bass nuances in my music (Progressive Metal, Alt Rock, Post Rock tracks mostly) that I didn't even know existed. Tool and Porcupine Tree sounded exquisite through the headphone. The midrange and guitars sounded insanely good, like I had never really heard before. 

Unfortunately there is no way I could afford a $1k headphone right now, maybe a mid fi can upgrade but as a high school student it is next to impossible. Either way I enjoyed getting an eye opener to what sound is possible in this hobby. 

Wow very accurate impressions. You have a good ear. The LCD-2 does have faster transient response than the Telsa driver of Beyerdynamic. It's cleaner sounding without grain IMO as well. The LCD-2 is a gorgeous phone that took the Head-Fi world by storm just a few years ago. I feel your pain of needing to save up for the LCD-2. I'll say don't give up, just save up a little every month and you'll eventually get there.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,601 of 13,139
the Burson / LCD-2 pair really well, i still generally prefer my T1, but without a WA2 for the T1, the LCD-2 would win hands down. the LCD-3 is even better, its ridiculous just how much better the LCD-3 is (well the LCD-2 are actually really close, but the LCD-3 are still even better especially at having a really holographic sound and even more details and clarity).

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,602 of 13,139
  the Burson / LCD-2 pair really well, i still generally prefer my T1, but without a WA2 for the T1, the LCD-2 would win hands down. the LCD-3 is even better, its ridiculous just how much better the LCD-3 is (well the LCD-2 are actually really close, but the LCD-3 are still even better especially at having a really holographic sound and even more details and clarity).

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #1,603 of 13,139
Left ring finally finished. Pictures don't do justice (I suck at photography, pictures from an Sony XZ), the wood tone with 1.5 coats of Jarrab oil stain and 6 layers of poly really has made these look like high end headphones.

Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back