Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,577 of 13,140
Quote:

@M-13: so thats what you meant by the improved LCD 2.2 a while ago? Will a new LCD 2.2 now have a similar freq response to yours? Or is urs just unique?

It's probably normal manufactering variance. I'm not sure if it's a one off, but it's probably still rare enough.

When I said the 2012 LCD-2 sounded different from the 2011, I wasn't talking about a tonality shift like this.

The 2012 one I had, had faster transient response and more open sound, it sounded cleaner as well with less grain. The tonality was similar but perhaps a little more energy in the treble to create slightly more air? But the transient response was what really struck me with that pair

The 2013 pair I have now doesn't have faster transients, but it does have a more significant tonality shift. Now, it really sounds open and the treble energy creates more air than I've ever heard from an LCD-2. The bass and mids seem much more balanced out compared to the treble. I really like it. Like I said I think it retains the strenghts of my older LCD-2 while bringing a new sense of treble energy + air/openess.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,579 of 13,140
Not bad roskodan, but mine looks brighter still.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,581 of 13,140
The force is strong on that one jsgraha. Looks super linear in upper-mids. Interesting dip at 9k. I would be interested to hear that one actually.

With all this posting of the graphs it's only a matter of time before someone posts an LCD-2 with even bigger treble response than mine... hehe. I think I've started something. I hope it dies down so the Audeze SWAT team doesn't come to break down my door and confiscate my LCD-2. No doubt Prepropman and DefQon have snitched on me already.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,582 of 13,140
LOL....

And the reason why I said my modded rev.1's is consistently better than the 2 LCD3's I've paired it up against is due to the 1 aspect all LCD's suck at. Treble and lack of air. Preliminary measurements show a bit of wonkiness in the mids which the original rev.1's are best at, neck to neck with the LCD3 mids and better than the rev.2's (non metal angled batch), but I think that has to do with the positioning we had my rev.1's on the polystyrene shaped dummy head and half the mods was just managed to stick on on as the left hand side had no cup enclosure. As promised to those skeptical, once my left side cup is done, I will sand blast the right side down, re-measure the left hand side to see if the different coating on the wood have any sonic differences to the FR range, once both sides are done, and the measured FR range turns out to be bit different, I may need to re-mod and re-measure.

Thank god all this is paid off  by a slab of beer.

(LCD3 fanboy's gonna have a hard time admitting to this, sadly).

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,583 of 13,140
Thanks M-13.
I've compared my lcd2 and lcd3 belong to a friend on his setup. I still prefer his lcd3 though. Both of us hear that my lcd2 have slight bump on upper mid range, which make vocal seem more forward. His lcd3, vocal is more laid back and very smooth (compare to my lcd2).

My lcd2 have a bit more bass quantity (particularly on mid bass) but still prefer the deep and tight bass of his lcd3.
IMO, his lcd3 on his setup have the best bass I've ever heard (second only to Abyss on auralic vega and mjolnir, but still very close though).
Overall, still prefer his lcd3.
If I don't have hd800, I think I'll get myself lcd3 for sure.
I guess I'll wait lcd4... hopefully not too long=)

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,584 of 13,140
Quote:
Thanks M-13.
I've compared my lcd2 and lcd3 belong to a friend on his setup. I still prefer his lcd3 though. Both of us hear that my lcd2 have slight bump on upper mid range, which make vocal seem more forward. His lcd3, vocal is more laid back and very smooth (compare to my lcd2).

My lcd2 have a bit more bass quantity (particularly on mid bass) but still prefer the deep and tight bass of his lcd3.
IMO, his lcd3 on his setup have the best bass I've ever heard (second only to Abyss on auralic vega and mjolnir, but still very close though).
Overall, still prefer his lcd3.
If I don't have hd800, I think I'll get myself lcd3 for sure.
I guess I'll wait lcd4... hopefully not too long=)

thats the biggest thing i miss on the LCD-2, the mid-bass, seems to be a more aggressive harder hitting headphone, though the LCD-3 is much better in everything else though

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #1,587 of 13,140
Hi all,

It is time for me to move into a real amp.
Albeit a cheap one, but have to start somewhere.

Now I know that the LCD2's are an amazing headphone and deserve an equally amazing amp, however budget dictates that with a 5 month old and a wife who is no longer working and the new ski race season coming in, that I simply cannot outlay much on audio.

I need an amp to get my by essentially.  Something that will sound decent (better than an e12!!)

I am looking at getting either.

Schiit Modi/Magni
or
Aune T1

I know neither will power them to their fullest, but they are sub $200 packages so one cannot expect them to.

I was recommended the Schiit gear for a starter into this world, however I have found the Aune intriguing having ZERO experience regarding tube sound etc.  I am somewhat eager to try this tube sound everyone seems to rave about. I guess I could get the t1 and magni since the t1 is a tube DAC not amp... Don't know how well they would play together though

Does anyone have some advice, either regarding the 2 amps mentioned or some other options.

I have checked some of the other amp suggestion posts/threads, however they are hundreds of pages long and in many cases people telling the OP that they need to buck up or sell the LCD's.  I have spent hours reading but I still dont know which way to go.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Scott

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,588 of 13,140
If you're on a budget that low you may as well pick up a used vintage receiver or integrated amplifier which will be night and day difference better than the mentioned amps. Or just save up for a Mjonir.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,589 of 13,140
On a budget I'd look for a used USB DAC (like HRT Music Streamer) and pair it with a Schiit Asgard or O2. Most competent amps will drive LCD-2 reasonably well. As DefQuon said, an integrated amp might be a good idea too.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,590 of 13,140
If you're on a budget that low you may as well pick up a used vintage receiver or integrated amplifier which will be night and day difference better than the mentioned amps. Or just save up for a Mjonir.

Thanks. Any suggestions for the former.
I was considering the lyr but that leaves me out of budget for a DAC by the time I get it to australia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back