Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,096 of 13,139
Quote:
Quote:
It honestly just makes Audeze's line look more complicated than it is. But I guess people feel the perpetual need to set their LCD's apart.

Next people will just list their LCD-2's at the specific price they paid. LCD-2 Version: $1145's 

Or so that people can try to trick themselves into believing their LCD2s are better lol

Maybe they are? Considering the issues Audez'e had with their cans and the reported variability between pairs, it's not an absurd assumption.

Fwiw, I owned an early rev.2 and now have the latest iteration (I refer to it as the rev.2.5, with the black angled connectors). This one looks much better than the first. That early rev.2 was cosmetically rough around the edges and had a touch of DIY about it. Audez'e have come a long way IME with the finish of their headphones.

More importantly, this latest iteration sounds much better than the early rev.2. It's more even across the spectrum, less bloated in the low end and also devoid of the unnatural resonances that gnawed at me with that older model. They may not have officially changed the drivers but their QC has certainly improved and tolerances are probably more stringent.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,097 of 13,139
Quote:

Maybe they are? Considering the issues Audez'e had with their cans and the reported variability between pairs, it's not an absurd assumption.

Fwiw, I owned an early rev.2 and now have the latest iteration (I refer to it as the rev.2.5, with the black angled connectors). This one looks much better than the first. That early rev.2 was cosmetically rough around the edges and had a touch of DIY about it. Audez'e have come a long way IME with the finish of their headphones.

More importantly, this latest iteration sounds much better than the early rev.2. It's more even across the spectrum, less bloated in the low end and also devoid of the unnatural resonances that gnawed at me with that older model. They may not have officially changed the drivers but their QC has certainly improved and tolerances are probably more stringent.

Well, Audeze reps told me no driver change, for whatever that's worth.

I had thought my Bamboo sounded better than previous LCD-2, but couldn't chalk it up to anything
but fickle. Similarly, I've experienced the same with the HD800.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,098 of 13,139
Got my LCD-2 today! Very early first impressions are very good. I didn't have much time to listen when I first fired them up and thought I'd sample a little of everything, but I found myself not wanting to skip any songs. I really have nothing to compare to since I'm coming from Westone UM3X in ears. The thing I love the most so far is the treble. I am having no piercing highs or fatigue of any kind. Not much of a jazz fan, but with these its hard to pass up. Everything is just great! A question I have is how do you all position them? These being the only over the ear headphones to try everything seems a bit awkward. I have them slightly forward with the headband mid mid-front and kind of high maybe. How would you describe your preferred placement?

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,101 of 13,139
Quote:
Got my LCD-2 today! Very early first impressions are very good. I didn't have much time to listen when I first fired them up and thought I'd sample a little of everything, but I found myself not wanting to skip any songs. I really have nothing to compare to since I'm coming from Westone UM3X in ears. The thing I love the most so far is the treble. I am having no piercing highs or fatigue of any kind. Not much of a jazz fan, but with these its hard to pass up. Everything is just great! A question I have is how do you all position them? These being the only over the ear headphones to try everything seems a bit awkward. I have them slightly forward with the headband mid mid-front and kind of high maybe. How would you describe your preferred placement?

I love the treble of the LCD-2 very much too. It is so natural.. I love the mids the most, then the treble, then the bass 
bigsmile_face.gif

I have thought it is just me because many people said the treble of lcd-2 not good.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,102 of 13,139
The treble doesn't stand out, sparkle, and shine, but it is definitely there very smooth and blends well. Which I guess describes natural like you said. Drums are outstanding across the board really showcasing that great midbass.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,103 of 13,139
If I recall there have been only 2 versions of drivers for LCD-2, but three versions of cups.  There was the original one-piece cup with non-angled cable entry, then within a few months there was the one-piece cup with slightly-angled cable entry, and then 2.5 years later the black 45-degree angled cable entry attached to the wood cup (not one-piece).

So, it seems that there are two versions of LCD-2 rev1 with the same driver but different cups.  Then there were two versions of the LCD-2 rev2 with the same driver but different cups.  So the slightly-angled cable entry one-piece cups spanned the rev1 and rev2 driver models.

The new cups that were introduced last spring are not actually called a rev3 since they have rev2 drivers, but how are we to distinguish which version we are talking about if we don't come up with proper nomenclature?  The suggestion of calling them LCD-2 rev2.2 or rev2.5 might be better, as it doesn't indicate a driver change as readily as calling them rev3.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,104 of 13,139
Quote:
If I recall there have been only 2 versions of drivers for LCD-2, but three versions of cups.  There was the original one-piece cup with non-angled cable entry, then within a few months there was the one-piece cup with slightly-angled cable entry, and then 2.5 years later the black 45-degree angled cable entry attached to the wood cup (not one-piece).

So, it seems that there are two versions of LCD-2 rev1 with the same driver but different cups.  Then there were two versions of the LCD-2 rev2 with the same driver but different cups.  So the slightly-angled cable entry one-piece cups spanned the rev1 and rev2 driver models.

The new cups that were introduced last spring are not actually called a rev3 since they have rev2 drivers, but how are we to distinguish which version we are talking about if we don't come up with proper nomenclature?  The suggestion of calling them LCD-2 rev2.2 or rev2.5 might be better, as it doesn't indicate a driver change as readily as calling them rev3.

i think this thing is indeed a bit annoying for those who want to acquire or had already acquired an used LCD-2 (as me)
i also think there will not be a lcd-2 rev3 because the lcd-3 is just 20-30% more good compared to the lcd-2. Maybe it will happen accompanying with a LCD-3 rev 2 -.-

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,105 of 13,139
Anyone else experiencing a huge delay in delivery? Ordered my LCD-2s about 5 weeks ago and still no confirmed delivery date... Audeze is saying they are having problems with the delivery of some parts needed for production... I hope they will get this sorted soon!

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,106 of 13,139
Quote:
Anyone else experiencing a huge delay in delivery? Ordered my LCD-2s about 5 weeks ago and still no confirmed delivery date... Audeze is saying they are having problems with the delivery of some parts needed for production... I hope they will get this sorted soon!

Never heard of this kind of problem before. But then again, they are a very popular headphone now. Maybe struggling with orders. 

Audeze whats the crack? 

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,107 of 13,139
I wonder if any one here has experience with LCD2.2 with Stax pad vs. original pad & LCD3. I would love to hear the opinion.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,108 of 13,139
Ordered the ALO Salty Pepper cable for my lcd-2s (in discount). I wonder what change it will bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back