Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,127 of 13,140
Wow-congrats on the new pair! Left channel died on me today, but I'm sure it's nothing Aude'ze's top notch customer service can't figure out.

May 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,129 of 13,140
Quote:
Wow-congrats on the new pair! Left channel died on me today, but I'm sure it's nothing Aude'ze's top notch customer service can't figure out.

Still a bit alarming that LCD2s still have driver failures nowadays. How old is your pair, what rev?

May 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,130 of 13,140
After my first pair of rev 2s (January) cracked for no apparent reason, I was sent a replacement. The replacement came in February and has been working fine up until now. I guess I will just be stuck using Amperiors and my speakers for now...thankfully this shouldn't take long.

May 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,131 of 13,140
Quote:
After my first pair of rev 2s (January) cracked for no apparent reason, I was sent a replacement. The replacement came in February and has been working fine up until now. I guess I will just be stuck using Amperiors and my speakers for now...thankfully this shouldn't take long.

Eek yeah, I was hoping your pair was like 2 years old or something, but it being so new means very different things. Did you confirm the new pair's driver failure is 100% a driver failure, and not something wrong with the cable/upstream setup?

May 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,132 of 13,140
Quote:
Eek yeah, I was hoping your pair was like 2 years old or something, but it being so new means very different things. Did you confirm the new pair's driver failure is 100% a driver failure, and not something wrong with the cable/upstream setup?

Relax man. You are backed by a 3 year International warranty. And by then, your lcd-2 would be either long gone or stashed in the corner long forgotten or replaced by the lcd-3/4/5 or a headphone of another brand! 
gs1000.gif

May 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #1,133 of 13,140
Quote:

Relax man. You are backed by a 3 year International warranty. And by then, your lcd-2 would be either long gone or stashed in the corner long forgotten or replaced by the lcd-3/4/5 or a headphone of another brand! 
gs1000.gif

Personally I don't dig the "high turnover" consumerism attitude with anything that costs this much. If I spend $1k, the headphone better last a decade or more if I take good care of it.

May 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,134 of 13,140
Personally I don't dig the "high turnover" consumerism attitude with anything that costs this much. If I spend $1k, the headphone better last a decade or more if I take good care of it.

Well. I don't own them yet. (Still in a dilemma over a few headphones including the lcds) but it seems the audezes to have a problem or two, if you are really worried. It seems that the metal part that attaches to the wooden cup sometimes dislodged from the hole but it can be put in back. I'm not sure about the driver problem. But there is another wood cracking problem for those without the angled connectors. But that is a problem that Audez'e have already solved by introducing the angeled connectors version.

May 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #1,135 of 13,140
Quote:
LCD-2 UPDATE (if anyone still cares about my impressions):

Just read this and I agree whole heartily.

I had my very first LCD-2 R2 back in 2011 October (Right before the LCD-3 was announced)
I had my 2nd LCD-R2 in 2012 Summer (July?) and it sounded significantly improved over the first one I had. The material covering the diaphram had changed from a black velvet material to greyish foam. I thought they had put in LCD-3 drivers into a LCD-2 housing on accident too. LOL. But I counted the bar magnets and there was only six and not eight, so it was just an an  improvement a big one. I initially preferred the HE-500 by a strong margin but the newer R2 left them on very equal footing for me as well.

I think Audez'e made some changes without telling the public. On a related note I have a HE-500 that was purchased just a month ago with drivers fabricated in March of 2013 and it's the best sounding HE-500 I've had (4th now). I guess Fang wasn't sitting on his hands either. They keep improving their products or perhaps manufacturing is becoming more consistent? Not sure what it is but the newest versions keep sounding a little better (to me of course). Now I'm thinking about getting my hands on a 2013 LCD-2 to see how it performs against the HE-500.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,136 of 13,140

My DAC and amp are fine, as I tried them with a different set of headphones. I flipped the channels (L/R) and the cable seems to be working too. Only thing left is the headphone itself.

May 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,137 of 13,140
Just a shout out for excellent customer service by Audeze! I had a little problem with my LCD-2 that are about 6 weeks old. They were super responsive and took care of the issue right away. Cheers!

On another note, I've got a Audio-GD SA 31 en route to pair with DACmini/LCD-2. I'm hoping it's a good match. 

May 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,138 of 13,140
My DAC and amp are fine, as I tried them with a different set of headphones. I flipped the channels (L/R) and the cable seems to be working too. Only thing left is the headphone itself.

Is it common for the drivers to fail on the LCD 2? And are there any known reliability issues? I'm considering getting one soon, and this might just prove to be a deal breaker.

May 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,139 of 13,140
What wen
Just a shout out for excellent customer service by Audeze! I had a little problem with my LCD-2 that are about 6 weeks old. They were super responsive and took care of the issue right away. Cheers!

On another note, I've got a Audio-GD SA 31 en route to pair with DACmini/LCD-2. I'm hoping it's a good match. 

What went wrong with your pair?

May 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,140 of 13,140
Anyone here with LCD2 in the Brussels, Flanders area? Would be interested in a mini meet. The LCD works so well with my glacier amp. 
Would be fun to check it out again. I have er4s for your interest. dan 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back