Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #901 of 13,134
Quote:
I am the biggest headphone cable non-believer.  It never made sense that the original mfg., with extensive R&D, couldn't make a great cable to go with $1,000 cans.    Heck they provide FR Graphs with the cans.

Until now.
2 sets of LCD2's…..  18 month old R1's  and 2 week old R2's
I owned the R1's for 2 months prior to getting the R2's

The used R1's came with a beefy round factory cord and a little dainty Q-cable.  Since the Q-cable is too short most of my listening was on the big round factory cable.  I don't think I could tell the difference.  I do like the Q-cable.

The R2's arrived with great expectations.   I was underwhelmed.  I kept listening thinking it would get better.  It didn't.  t was also thinking "Didn't the R1's sound better?"  I was ignoring it until last night.  I plugged in the R1's.   I was right.  They sounded better.  A lot better.

I couldn't put my finger on it until I swapped cables.  (This is coming from a guy that thinks cables are BS)

Both the factory R1 cable and the Q-cable made the R2 cans sound significantly better than the "new" LCD2 flat cable.  (The R1 and the Q-cable sounded about the same)   With the flat factory cable the R2's were .... lost...stale... no beauty.  blah.  I couldn't believe it.  ….. 

Still the R1's (cans) sounded better to me.  I think  the R2's need  to be broken in. .. I hope.  I have them on nonstop pink noise now.

The difference was striking to me.
I played the same 30 seconds of the Dead, Box of Rain, remastered flac.  Swapping R1 & R2 cables Back and forth.  If you know the tune the entry is very strong acoustic guitar and bass that just smacks your ears.  The R2, with the stock cable was wimpy. Just bad.
The R2 with the R1 cable a lot better but not all the way.  I couldn't hear a difference with the Q-cable either way.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Do the R2's get better after a break in period?

Thanks

Yeah ... the same here when i first heard them, i thought the sound was the same as my T1 just harder and sharper with closed in sound stage ... i was expecting a veryyy smooth and detailed sound but instead it was very close to the T1 ... i remember being a bit disappointed cause i had high hopes for them, then i remembered the burn-in period and with desperation i played a combination of harsh treble and hard bass files through them ( the same burn-in method for my T1 and my previous headphones as well) for about 3-4 days ...... after that I knew what the fuss was all about, the sound kept getting smoother and the details pops up more until now ( i don't if my ears are adjusting but i keep discovering new details every couple of weeks ). Yes, this is the weirdest burn-in period that i went through. Denons, beyerdynamics and most headphones usually get brighter and smoother but the Audeze were getting darker and smoother without losing the details.

powerful amp + good source + LCD-2 = UNLIMITED sound quality. All i can say is they deliver the most natural and non-fatiguing sound I've ever heard in a headphone.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #902 of 13,134
Medo,

Thanks I needed that. It is quite troubling.

I had read other posts stating that the LCD2's require little if any break in.   Since I own a set of R1's, I knew what they should sound like.

I pulled the R2's off the pink noise used my iPhone db meter to adjust the volume and A/B'd against the R1's.  They are better but have a bunch to go before they match the R1's.  Yes the soundstage is narrow at this time.  Based on your experience, I pulled them off pink noise and replaced it with classical to drive them harder.

I did see the the R2's require more current than the R1's

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #904 of 13,134
Quote:
any tips for how to take care of wood (lcd2)

Thanks

According to official instructions, you should apply the special woodcare kit once per 2-3 months I think... And from what I know, you can prevent your pads from degrading as well this way.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #905 of 13,134
Quote:

According to official instructions, you should apply the special woodcare kit once per 2-3 months I think... And from what I know, you can prevent your pads from degrading as well this way.

I would also add, you can pretty much polish them as much as you want. It will only help to protect the wood and prevent scratches etc as the wax builds up. If you run out of oil then simply go to a DIY store and get some clear wax.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #906 of 13,134
Quote:

Quote:
I would also add, you can pretty much polish them as much as you want. It will only help to protect the wood and prevent scratches etc as the wax builds up. If you run out of oil then simply go to a DIY store and get some clear wax.

Thanks...I should wax it tonight..

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #909 of 13,134
Quote:
Some things are better kept to oneself ...

You sick b*****d. 
size]

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #910 of 13,134
Quote:

Trewax Wax for me on all my woodies.

http://www.amazon.com/Trewax-Paste-Wax-12-35-oz/dp/B008RED7WY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359080764&sr=8-5&keywords=trewax+paste+wax

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #911 of 13,134
A "Should anyone care update"

I cooked my boo's all day on a classical loop.
It was time to give them a listen.
So I thought ....Rather then put my favorite high $,  1960 Amrex USA "D" getters, I'll put in the plain old 65' Amprex Herleen, Orange Globes.
I haven't listened to them in months.

HOLY Schiit  !

If you own a Lyr and you are listening to stock tubes, spend the $70

My R2's just came alive, they are eating these tubes alive.  Wow!

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #912 of 13,134
2nd day of Burning lcd2, it starts to hear the difference.  It has warmth and wide soundstage.  Also it has more forgiving sound than hd800.
I like it, I want couple more days to burn in.

deadhorse.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #914 of 13,134
Quote:
2nd day of Burning lcd2, it starts to hear the difference.  It has warmth and wide soundstage.  Also it has more forgiving sound than hd800.
I like it, I want couple more days to burn in.

deadhorse.gif

Keep us posted with your impressions in comparison to the HD800 
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #915 of 13,134
Hello all, I need a little advice.

So I was seriously considering the HD 800. However, some advice from that appreciation thread landed me here.

I was told i should go for the latest version (2.5?). I was curious just what the difference between the revisions is exactly?

I also heard these work great for rock. Can anyone echo this sentiment? 

Currently my headphone of choice is the HD 600. Assuming i enjoy it, would it stand to reason that i might also enjoy the LCD 2? Can anyone provide a short comparison?

One more thing. I have a fairly modest mid-fi rig. (ALAC--->FiiO E10--->Matrix M Stage) is that going to be enough to power the LCD 2? If not, what would you recommend, please keep in mind a highly limited budget. 

Thanks so much for any assistance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back