Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #12,991 of 13,134
There were also a few different ring options for the LCD2. My set (late 2014) has bamboo wood rings. A friend of mine has a set of LCD2 with metal rings (aluminium if I'm not mistaking). I recall still seeing bamboo as an option for a new set of LCD2 up until a year or two ago. Now the only option is rosewood.

Physically the only real telltales between old and new are the pads and the headband but an old set can easily be updated by changing the pads and headband with the new versions. Other than that I do not know of any other physical indicators (you can always send the serial number to Audeze and they should be able to confirm manufacture date).

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #12,992 of 13,134
So there will be no difference in sound between a new model and an older (2017?) one, disregard the effects of the pads?

I have a model from 2019 in prospect.

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #12,993 of 13,134
So there will be no difference in sound between a new model and an older (2017?) one, disregard the effects of the pads?

I have a model from 2019 in prospect.

You cannot disregard the effects of the pads because so much of what actually gets to your ear is influenced by them. There was no formal revision of the LCD-2 driver itself between 2017 and now though so if you wanted the sound of a newer unit you could likely swap the pads out and it’d get you pretty close! Keep in mind Audeze is constantly making tweaks to try to improve their products so there may have been a subtle drift over the years.

LCD-2 is generally a headphone with solid bass extension, lush and detailed mid range with a more subdued treble response. This has been the subjective consensus on the LCD-2 since it was first released.

If you’re looking at a used 2019 LCD-2, I personally would wait for Audeze’s coming B-stock sale if you’re located in the USA (go to their website and subscribe to their newsletter to hear when the sale begins). The products generally sell out quickly but you can get a new unit, 3-year warranty with (maybe) a minor cosmetic flaw or two that you would certainly have on a unit from 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #12,994 of 13,134
Great reply, thank you!

Keep in mind Audeze is constantly making tweaks to try to improve their products so there may have been a subtle drift over the years.

Yes, i know that. Thats because i was asking. Is it know when these changes were made and what they include? Apart of the rings of course. Does Audeze deploy frequency response between the changes?

I‘m located in the EU. Buying from overseas is not an option for me.

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #12,995 of 13,134
Great reply, thank you!

Yes, i know that. Thats because i was asking. Is it know when these changes were made and what they include? Apart of the rings of course. Does Audeze deploy frequency response between the changes?

I‘m located in the EU. Buying from overseas is not an option for me.
I mean, you could always contact support@audeze.com but it is likely they will tell you that the driver has been the same for the past 5 years even if they have been making some subtle tweaks (just because the driver is the same doesn’t mean the tuning will be the same). They likely will confirm if they have been making small improvements without disclosing what those improvements are exactly. they do not release measurements and also don’t keep a log of measurements for the LCD-2. The 2021 pad revision however, will make somewhat of a difference!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #12,996 of 13,134
The changes we make on headphones like this is typically parts/supply related, and not anything that will drastically alter the sound to call them something 'new' or different.

As you have surmised, the LCD-2's biggest change in half a decade (in terms of what may actually affect sound) has been the addition of the newer pads, which was a universal swap for all our standard LCD headphones.

Of course, every headphone is unique, and there will always be headphone to headphone variations, but we strive to keep them within spec of a tolerance of around 1db from our target.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #12,998 of 13,134
Just ordered the Hifiman Ananda, I love them but have a seal issue near my temple and worry about the longterm durability.

Anyone here own both the Ananda and LCD-2 F or Classic that could help me with their experience?

I listen to modern music 95% of the time, heavy on the vocals, warmer sounds.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #13,000 of 13,134
Since 2010, and starting a new year with the LCD2 as the go-to headphone :)
And yes, it is that good. ( the earlier lcd1 was fine also, especially with the fine headstage, but a bit light on the bass )
Yeah I hope they return to their old house sound for the next releases.

Dec 28, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #13,001 of 13,134
I have a pair of LCD 2's that I've owned for a while now. Originally when I bought them they were classified by the seller as "LCD 2 Rev - 1". These are pre fazor right? Is there a way to know for sure.?

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #13,003 of 13,134
He describes here in the video how to tell if you have Fazor or not:

Thank you! Turns out I have a pre fazor. Another question for the folks here. The padding on my LCD 2 has started to erode. Quick search through the thread and I didn't see it come up. Anyone have any ideas/solutions as to how to address this?

20221229_175436.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #13,004 of 13,134
Thank you! Turns out I have a pre fazor. Another question for the folks here. The padding on my LCD 2 has started to erode. Quick search through the thread and I didn't see it come up. Anyone have any ideas/solutions as to how to address this?

20221229_175436.jpg
Audeze should be able to supply a new headband.

Imo the new headband Design is superior anyways.
Congratz, an original non Fazor LCD-2 is a Treasure

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #13,005 of 13,134
Audeze should be able to supply a new headband.

Imo the new headband Design is superior anyways.
Congratz, an original non Fazor LCD-2 is a Treasure
yeah.. the OG LCD2 is excellent indeed. I had just taken out mine to give it a run out and the typical issue with Audeze ear pads: the parts right next to where it meets the ear cup has totally degraded and was flaking away. :frowning2: Jeremy from AV One will procure a new pair and I will bring it down to fit in a new pair of ear pads and then we are good to go again.

I took it out to try it on the Wells Audio Milo. Yeah… I’ve almost forgotten how good the OG LCD2 sounds. :)

9FEA3DD4-0B0E-4BF6-A69D-0DAF73760499.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back