Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #12,916 of 13,134
@drifter74
Great impressions.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘Thank you,πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

I asked Audeze what it was all about.
And the answer was relatively simple.
Apart from the fact that the driver is being replaced, they still seem to want to continue there.

However, my enquiry was a few weeks ago.
Answer from Audeze:
The sound signature of the LCD-2 Classic is based on our original 2008 design, so it has no fazors and a slightly warmer tonal balance than the standard LCD-2. Many listeners report to us that they hear less energy in the upper midrange with the Classics, and a more spacious/open soundstage but less specific imaging than the standard 2s.

The main physical differences are the material of the ear pads and headband (leather vs. leather-free), the material of the ring (wood vs. nylon) and the lack of facors on the Classics. As a result, the Classics are about 30-45 g lighter.

As for the Classik itself, I can say that it is quite malleable.
It is always important to have an amplifier that has enough power.
And on tube amps and hybrid amps, I think that's where it should show its strengths than on a solid state.
In my opinion, I always had the feeling that something was always missing on the solid state and that it was also somewhat powerless.
On a tube/hybrid amp, you have much more of a feeling of being immersed in the music, everything seems more centred, more open, more detailed, crisper, more relaxed.
And bass is not lacking either.

I have never had an amplifier where I was not satisfied and the Classic could not perform.
The only thing I had was that it hardly delivered any bass with the stock tubes in the Feliks Euforia.
Which I have now remedied with others.

Oh, about the leather pads, I just take some leather cleaner, clean them, and later rub them with a thimbleful of Elephant wax, let it sit for 24 hours and rub off the excess.
This keeps them supple and well cared for and the leather doesn't dry out.
This is the reason why they become cracked.

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #12,917 of 13,134
Has Audeze revised the LCD-2 drivers since the 2016 change? I also had a 2014 LCD-2F and upgraded it to the 2016 drivers. They had noticeable differences but I still found them mostly similar.
I believe there has been no driver (specifically the driver) change since the 2016 retooling. Of course we've been through at least 3 different pad revs since then, and the best one I heard in my time listening to examples of various Audeze LCDs remains the pre memory foam revision.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #12,918 of 13,134
DEKONI PADS ARE THICCCC

1648771585285.png

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #12,923 of 13,134
Yes it's relatively tight but lose enough to allow the yokes to adjust
This is tough, I've had a lot of Audeze headbands do this. I once had a pair of XCs that would actually bend the part of the yoke that screwed into the rod, in addition to it periodically loosening itself. Very annoying!

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #12,924 of 13,134
I do believe that some of the changes improved the longevity of the drivers. Between 2014 and 2016 Audeze had a bad reputation for driver failures and I think back then the LCD2 was the model that was quite badly affected by this. Each new iteration of the drivers attempt to improve the design. The new 2021 ear pads are also much shallower than previous. I have big ears but they are relatively flat against my head. With the previous pads there was plenty of space for my ears. With the pads the tips of my ears touch the inside of the cup. This obviously brings the ears much closer to the driver. The other thing that Audeze has done is to dampen the side of the drivers with foam.

I took some pictures during the "operation" of replacing the drivers.

This is what the old driver looked like when the 7 year old ear cup was removed. The leather on the inside of the ear cup becomes brittle over the years and it is basically impossible to remove it without the glue pulling some of the leather off. When you replace the drivers will basically have to get new pads as well. The metal grid is the fazor with the driver below.

Here is the brand new driver. You can see that it looks like there is a mesh type material now covering the driver. The design of the fazors is still exactly the same.

Here are the new pads. The half moon shaped foam comes with the drivers. The idea is that (like acoustic treatment for a room) it prevents the sound from the driver to bounce off the metal frame of the fazors.

An the new drivers installed.

IMG_4910.JPG

And reassembled. I also added a new suspension head strap as my 2014 version still had the old strap. It makes a massive difference to comfort.

I have since added an LCD5 to my Audeze collection.

This is where you add the micro suction tape, to make your pads swappable :=)

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #12,926 of 13,134
This is tough, I've had a lot of Audeze headbands do this. I once had a pair of XCs that would actually bend the part of the yoke that screwed into the rod, in addition to it periodically loosening itself. Very annoying!
Actually bend the yoke? Thats pretty weird, they are pretty solid. On most of my Audeze`s I need to re-tighten the screw that goes into the rod once in a while, even though it`s got that locking disc. Check the angle of the yoke part that the screw goes through and if needed, I guess you can bend it carefully back into place @OhMyGodPancakes

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #12,927 of 13,134
Actually bend the yoke? Thats pretty weird, they are pretty solid. On most of my Audeze`s I need to re-tighten the screw that goes into the rod once in a while, even though it`s got that locking disc. Check the angle of the yoke part that the screw goes through and if needed, I guess you can bend it carefully back into place @OhMyGodPancakes
Yup, the little tab where the yoke attached to the rod would bend back and forth. The yokes themselves could also deform a bit sliding left and right.

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #12,928 of 13,134
Hey guys, my DAC stopped working (I'm 90% sure it's my PC that's the issue though) so I don't have access to anything that requires an amp atm, but I'm curious, how do the LCD-2s do with bass heavy EDM? I recently got into neurofunk (type of dnb) in a big way and I am wondering how it will sound when I get a new PC.

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #12,929 of 13,134
Hey guys, my DAC stopped working (I'm 90% sure it's my PC that's the issue though) so I don't have access to anything that requires an amp atm, but I'm curious, how do the LCD-2s do with bass heavy EDM? I recently got into neurofunk (type of dnb) in a big way and I am wondering how it will sound when I get a new PC.
I know I'm an Audeze rep, but bass heavy EDM is our forte. I mean, that's what sold me on LCDs prior to my employment. The deep, guttural depths that LCD2s reach is perfect for EDM. And we take EQ like a champ if you want even more volume of bass.

Apr 11, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #12,930 of 13,134

They do beautifully. You will need an amp capable of driving them well, but given that they will provide deep, controlled bass with plenty of body. Ultimately, I'd recommend the 2C over the 2F for EDM, however. The 2C has incredible impact for a planar and is just amazing with that sort of bass-heavy music. That said, you can EQ the 2F to give more bass presence, and with it a better sense of impact, and the 2F has better clarity through the rest of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back