Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #12,901 of 13,134
can anyone recommend me an good way to raise the treble via eq? would a high shelf filter be sufficient?

my eq is as follows so far

its low shelf at 110hz with +6db,

peak filter at 50hz with q of 0.5 and +4db

this is all like this to fit within the constraints of my thx 788 with built in eq

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #12,902 of 13,134
I wouldn't recomend increasing the treble (because I like my bass, if you increase one, you loose the other, assuming that with the LCD it is there in the baseline (with mine it is for sure, and it should be with yours also)). But sure, I want to hear it. So, I recommend a good dac with something like the Shiit Eitr (no longer being sold unfortunately, like so much of my gear....).

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #12,903 of 13,134
can anyone recommend me an good way to raise the treble via eq? would a high shelf filter be sufficient?
this is all like this to fit within the constraints of my thx 788 with built in eq
What @DefectiveAudioComponent says is true: when you increase bass, it has the perceptual effect of making treble sound diminished. And you are using a lot of bass boost: +4 to +10 (since the frequencies overlap). That's a lot.

Which LCD-2 are we talking about - classic or fazor? The fazors have flatter response but they both are similar, with a hump around 500-1500 Hz (more or less) and a dip around 4k. But otherwise flat. The treble from 6k up is not attenuated. So a gentle cut centered around 700-1000 and a gentle boost around 4k makes them almost perfectly neutral.

If I didn't have parametric EQ but only had a single knob to adjust, I'd turn down the mids a few dB to reduce that hump. Perceptually, this brings out both the bass and treble. The LCD-2 has wonderful mids, so do it with a light hand to avoid the dreaded "V" shaped mid suckout.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #12,904 of 13,134
What @DefectiveAudioComponent says is true: when you increase bass, it has the perceptual effect of making treble sound diminished. And you are using a lot of bass boost: +4 to +10 (since the frequencies overlap). That's a lot.

Which LCD-2 are we talking about - classic or fazor? The fazors have flatter response but they both are similar, with a hump around 500-1500 Hz (more or less) and a dip around 4k. But otherwise flat. The treble from 6k up is not attenuated. So a gentle cut centered around 700-1000 and a gentle boost around 4k makes them almost perfectly neutral.

If I didn't have parametric EQ but only had a single knob to adjust, I'd turn down the mids a few dB to reduce that hump. Perceptually, this brings out both the bass and treble. The LCD-2 has wonderful mids, so do it with a light hand to avoid the dreaded "V" shaped mid suckout.

thank to both of you, i have the 2f with the latest pads

and now i ownly use +6db at 110z and dont use the other setting anymore

also would the 2021 lcd-x be an upgrade to the 2021 lcd-2f that i own iyo? whats diferent between the two if you dont mind m asking?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #12,905 of 13,134

The bass setting is nuts for these cans -.if you want accurcy. These new guys on the block eschew accuracy and use a. The average user taste (higher bass levels) NOT accuracy as a goal.
b. Average room readings. Maybe an $80 set of cans would do well to meet those standards (small nearly square room, probably a sprung wood floor- perhaps up to +8 db at certain frequencies), but these came out as high end cans and are at least high mid now. I built rooms for over $100k to have perfect sound -why would anyone want to dumb down cans that are so good in the bass? IDIOCY.

Based on my memory I'd try low shelf 38 Hz +2.8 db Q .9 and get rid of the 110 Hz setting. Your troubles in the treble should be reduced. They need a boost in the 2.5 KHz area use a Q of 3.0 and raise 2 db. Need a narrow boost around 5kHz and another around 9.

My experience with EQ the past few years is that it's crazy to get every can to exact crinicle standards, instead go after the 2-3 biggest dips and peaks and reduce them so your cans are closer to "ideal" but still sound like themselves too.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #12,906 of 13,134
Why do you use equalisers at all?
Just hook the good one up to a good hybrid amp where you can get a lot out of it without losing the naturalness, or a solid state amp that has enough drive.

That sounds so much better than bending the sound.
I have mine on a hybrid amp or Otl amp depending on how I feel like it and I couldn't be happier with it.
Especially with the hybrid amp, it's a real alarm, it'll slam bass right in your face.
And the rest is also coherent, nice sweetspot and great low end.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #12,908 of 13,134
Having directly compared the LCD-2F and LCD-X a few years ago, I don't think so. But, opinions differ and many people do.
I did the same comparison before I bought my LCD-2F a few years back and came to the same conclusion as you. However, I listened to the latest LCD-X at last year's CanJam SoCal and I think the tuning has changed quite a bit so I'm not sure that my comparisons from a few years ago are still applicable today. The new LCD-X sounded more midrange-focused, at least to my ears.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #12,909 of 13,134
thank to both of you, i have the 2f with the latest pads

and now i ownly use +6db at 110z and dont use the other setting anymore

also would the 2021 lcd-x be an upgrade to the 2021 lcd-2f that i own iyo? whats diferent between the two if you dont mind m asking?
I have the 2021 versions of both of those cans and to my ears, the LCD-X is more detailed while the LCD-2F is a bit more laid back. I feel like whenever I'm listening to the LCD-X, I am more focused on the music, while with the LCD-2 I can do other things and still enjoy the music. If I was to choose between the two I would keep the LCD-2 as it has more of that planar sound I like.

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #12,910 of 13,134
I have a 2014 set of LCD2's. The first year that the fazors were introduced. I loved them for 7 years and then last year the one driver stopped working. I replaced both drivers via the local agent with the 2021 versions as well as the ear pads with the new design. The sound changed A LOT. The older drivers were smoother and more laid back with a touch more bass. The new drivers paired with the new pads deliver a more detailed sound with a bit more emphasis on the mids.

I also have a set of LCD2Classics 2021 models and these sound closer to the 2014 LCD2F than what the "refreshed" 2021 LCD2 does.

I demo'd the LCD X 2021 and they are a level up in detail compared the 2021 LCD2 sound. They are Audeze's top seller so I guess people like them.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #12,911 of 13,134
I have a 2014 set of LCD2's. The first year that the fazors were introduced. I loved them for 7 years and then last year the one driver stopped working. I replaced both drivers via the local agent with the 2021 versions as well as the ear pads with the new design. The sound changed A LOT. The older drivers were smoother and more laid back with a touch more bass. The new drivers paired with the new pads deliver a more detailed sound with a bit more emphasis on the mids. ...
Has Audeze revised the LCD-2 drivers since the 2016 change? I also had a 2014 LCD-2F and upgraded it to the 2016 drivers. They had noticeable differences but I still found them mostly similar.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #12,912 of 13,134
Has Audeze revised the LCD-2 drivers since the 2016 change? I also had a 2014 LCD-2F and upgraded it to the 2016 drivers. They had noticeable differences but I still found them mostly similar.
I used to have some 2021 Shedua and it had a more aggressive tuning similar to what drifter is explaining. I really wish Audeze would keep legacy drivers around because there’s a reason people hold on them for so long.

Mar 27, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #12,914 of 13,134
Indeed, and while they're at it, how about adding a revision to the model number instead of all these "stealth" changes that have us asking, "What version or year LCD-2F headphone do you have?"
I agree newer models should be something like the LCD 2.3 etc. While the driver may be increasing in technicalities I’ve slowly started to see Audeze shift away from what made the LCD-2 so popular in the first place. That’s why people loved the original LCD 2.1 and is widely considered the best version.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #12,915 of 13,134
I do believe that some of the changes improved the longevity of the drivers. Between 2014 and 2016 Audeze had a bad reputation for driver failures and I think back then the LCD2 was the model that was quite badly affected by this. Each new iteration of the drivers attempt to improve the design. The new 2021 ear pads are also much shallower than previous. I have big ears but they are relatively flat against my head. With the previous pads there was plenty of space for my ears. With the pads the tips of my ears touch the inside of the cup. This obviously brings the ears much closer to the driver. The other thing that Audeze has done is to dampen the side of the drivers with foam.

I took some pictures during the "operation" of replacing the drivers.

This is what the old driver looked like when the 7 year old ear cup was removed. The leather on the inside of the ear cup becomes brittle over the years and it is basically impossible to remove it without the glue pulling some of the leather off. When you replace the drivers will basically have to get new pads as well. The metal grid is the fazor with the driver below.

IMG_4886.JPG

Here is the brand new driver. You can see that it looks like there is a mesh type material now covering the driver. The design of the fazors is still exactly the same.

IMG_4891.JPG

Here are the new pads. The half moon shaped foam comes with the drivers. The idea is that (like acoustic treatment for a room) it prevents the sound from the driver to bounce off the metal frame of the fazors.

IMG_4909.JPG

An the new drivers installed.

IMG_4910.JPG

And reassembled. I also added a new suspension head strap as my 2014 version still had the old strap. It makes a massive difference to comfort.

IMG_4911.JPG

I have since added an LCD5 to my Audeze collection.

IMG_5284.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back