Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #12,256 of 13,134
The only thing I would caution about is matching a warm DAC with a warm amp to drive a warm headphone. That warmth and distortion will carry from one to the other and may color the end sound more than you expected or wanted. My advice is to start with the headphones and work back to the DAC. That will help you fine-tune the sound a bit more. With the flexibility of tube-rolling to alter sound, you may find that's enough to dial in the sound you want without worrying about a DAC at all. Plus, the DAC will almost certainly do the least to change the sound.

The Empyrean is quite warm
The Mjolnir isn't overly warm.
Maybe considering that the current Gungnir revision being less warm than the older one isn't a bad thing in the end.

Thx for the advice.

May 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #12,258 of 13,134
I got a new headband, but the way it fits is reversed.... Like the R is on the left and the L of the headband is on the right cup... Why?
The R + L are on both sides of each black plate R/L L/R...whether you flip them over is your choice or not....it is easier actually to unscrew black screws at tops of gimbals and just flip the entire headband 180 so L+ R match your head orientation...push it back on to gimbals and put those screws back in...keep them safe in a white dish etc so you don't lose them...all up to you though.

May 27, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #12,259 of 13,134
The R + L are on both sides of each black plate R/L L/R...whether you flip them over is your choice or not....it is easier actually to unscrew black screws at tops of gimbals and just flip the entire headband 180 so L+ R match your head orientation...push it back on to gimbals and put those screws back in...keep them safe in a white dish etc so you don't lose them...all up to you though.
I don't understand. The rods only fit a certain way. I didn't have a choice, but how do I fix what you are talking about? I'm sorry I'm dumb, can you post a pic?

May 27, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #12,260 of 13,134
A surprise for me..! Thought that it going to sound underpowered but for the songs I listen it’s good.
Not great but good enough.

Attachments

• 12E4DB20-0B93-471B-9FC9-0B3B13113D59.jpeg
    12E4DB20-0B93-471B-9FC9-0B3B13113D59.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 27, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #12,261 of 13,134
I don't understand. The rods only fit a certain way. I didn't have a choice, but how do I fix what you are talking about? I'm sorry I'm dumb, can you post a pic?
I flipped it that way on mine (old type, non suspension headband) because the angle of the headband fit my head better and in addition the pressure around the ears became much more even. It used to press much harder in front of the ear and almost lost seal behind the ear. Its should be easily reversible, just make shure the angle of the cups are within the turnable spectrum.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #12,262 of 13,134
Hi. I'm still using an old LCD-2 Rev.2 bought back in 2011. I know there's new Audezes out there but I've never felt the need to upgrade headphones. I've been using it with the V200 amp and Rega dac for a long time. But there are a lot of new equipment since back then. Can anyone point me to newer DACs that would be an upgrade; preferably with a neutral to warm sound? Thanks.

I just threw in the Shiit Eitr between my old vintage DAC and my computer, and now it really sings with the LCD-2. I had a similarly priced M-audio Transit pro earlier as usb converter, that did not sound anywhere near as good as the Eitr. In comparison it sounded quite dull. So the USB converter may be the issue, your Rega could be fine. (My ancient dpa DAC has no USB so I had to put something there).

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #12,263 of 13,134
A surprise for me..! Thought that it going to sound underpowered but for the songs I listen it’s good.
Not great but good enough.
Im actually amazed at how well the LcD-2 F (2020) takes to being directly driven off the iphone. Its easier to drive than the hd650, the t50rp, and the t90 direct from the iphone, which surprised me given how Ive always heard Planars were hard to drive. Esp a 106mm monster like in the LCD series

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #12,264 of 13,134
Hi everyone,

My LCD-2's ear pads disintegrated a bit ago, and they've been in the boneyard under timeout long enough, so I decided to order replacement pads yesterday. In preparation, today I removed the old pads and adhesive. When I did, so I was shocked at what I saw in the membranes. There are these little tears along the edges. I've babied these and never cranked the volume. In fact, my average listening volume is about 60-65 db.

Are these tears something to worry about? Are the drivers failing?

They are way out of warranty. I don't remember hearing any anomalies the last time I listed to them a long time ago. But, that was a while ago.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #12,265 of 13,134
Im actually amazed at how well the LcD-2 F (2020) takes to being directly driven off the iphone. Its easier to drive than the hd650, the t50rp, and the t90 direct from the iphone, which surprised me given how Ive always heard Planars were hard to drive. Esp a 106mm monster like in the LCD series

It's subjective and based on comparisons. I have found my LCD-2fs really open up with a headphone amp. For lower power, I enjoy my Focal Elexs more. It's not just my opinion: have had a friend visit who mixes on a MacBook: he was more impressed with the focals going directly off the earphone plug. When he was telling me how meaty the Audezes sounded, I did let him know that they are my default phones with my desktop amp.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #12,266 of 13,134
Hi everyone,

My LCD-2's ear pads disintegrated a bit ago, and they've been in the boneyard under timeout long enough, so I decided to order replacement pads yesterday. In preparation, today I removed the old pads and adhesive. When I did, so I was shocked at what I saw in the membranes. There are these little tears along the edges. I've babied these and never cranked the volume. In fact, my average listening volume is about 60-65 db.

Maybe something is going on with your environment to have disintegrating earpads and visual issues with the drivers? IMO, doesn't hurt to first send these pics to Audeze support and see what they say....if they say the diaphragms should be replaced/give price estimate. Worst that happens is that you find they're trying to sell you expensive replacements/factor if the drivers sound OK or buy another set of cans used/B-stock.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #12,267 of 13,134
Maybe something is going on with your environment to have disintegrating earpads and visual issues with the drivers? IMO, doesn't hurt to first send these pics to Audeze support and see what they say....if they say the diaphragms should be replaced/give price estimate. Worst that happens is that you find they're trying to sell you expensive replacements/factor if the drivers sound OK or buy another set of cans used/B-stock.

"Disintegration" may have been an exaggeration. In reality, the pleather that connects the leather pads to the cups wore out. This is a known issue with Audeze pads. The leather and foam themselves are fine, so it's most likely not an environmental issue. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #12,268 of 13,134
Hi everyone,

They are way out of warranty. I don't remember hearing any anomalies the last time I listed to them a long time ago. But, that was a while ago.

Thanks in advance.

One email later, they offered gratis service.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #12,269 of 13,134
My 2C's are ace, been listening to them for hours on-end during the last few months, I was tempted to upgrade to the LCD-X but I'm not convinced they'll be worth it for me.
I might buy a budget silver cable to connect to my Hugo 2 from OIDIO perhaps...

A lot of people complain about their weight, I'm built for speed but I don't find them particularly cumbersome or uncomfortable.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #12,270 of 13,134
My 2C's are ace, been listening to them for hours on-end during the last few months, I was tempted to upgrade to the LCD-X but I'm not convinced they'll be worth it for me.
I might buy a budget silver cable to connect to my Hugo 2 from OIDIO perhaps...

A lot of people complain about their weight, I'm built for speed but I don't find them particularly cumbersome or uncomfortable.
They’re actually not as heavy as I thought, and hold well and comfortably. However dont go balls to the wall headbanging with them tho. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back