Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #12,286 of 13,134
I found the original headband so uncomfortable I didnt use it unmodified much. I took a piece of denim fabric and cut holes for the rods and kept it just short enough for a bit of room between the denim and the original headband (kinda like the Lohb but without a rubber band). I have the rods adjusted to the same now with the new headband as I had before, including the fabrics, so I think the original headband is a bit roomier. Ive got the steel suspension headband, which is a lot cheaper and I really didnt feel that wood and carbon fiber is a good match. In regards of clamping force, the original was less than the suspension and therefore more comfortable for me. Could be it just loosens force over time.
Didn't realise there was a steel headband. That keeps the plastic down. I couldn't use it unmodified either. I had to put a piece of cloth on my head. You are sitting there with this advanced piece of electronic engineering and construction and you think: hmm, a facecloth on my head would complete this. How they thought 600+gm on your head with that original headband would work, I don't know. Is it a leather strap that comes with the spring steel headband?

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #12,287 of 13,134
Didn't realise there was a steel headband. That keeps the plastic down. I couldn't use it unmodified either. I had to put a piece of cloth on my head. You are sitting there with this advanced piece of electronic engineering and construction and you think: hmm, a facecloth on my head would complete this. How they thought 600+gm on your head with that original headband would work, I don't know. Is it a leather strap that comes with the spring steel headband?
Haha, yes, they couldnt have worn it for more than 10 minutes when testing the old design. Yes, its perforated leather, I think its the same as the carbon fiber one.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #12,288 of 13,134
Astonishing really. A wonderful headphone but for many it was completely unusable without homemade solutions to the comfort problem. I bought the Lohb comfort strap which works well but it still irks me that I'm having to use this slightly fiddly add on to a pair of headphones that cost serious money (for me).

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #12,289 of 13,134
I just bought a pair of these second-hand, I was told they was only a few months old; I've just picked them up and the left pad has just fallen off which is quite annoying, the right pad feels like it's stuck on very firmly, can this happen after a few months or do you think the previous owner removed the pad?

Also, mine came with the carbon fibre headband, how would I find the serial number for these? I'm guessing they would be on the original headband?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #12,290 of 13,134
I just bought a pair of these second-hand, I was told they was only a few months old; I've just picked them up and the left pad has just fallen off which is quite annoying, the right pad feels like it's stuck on very firmly, can this happen after a few months or do you think the previous owner removed the pad?

Also, mine came with the carbon fibre headband, how would I find the serial number for these? I'm guessing they would be on the original headband?
That doesn't sound at all right. A practical solution though is to have a look on the Dekoni website and you can find the 3M rings to re-attach it there.

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #12,291 of 13,134
That doesn't sound at all right. A practical solution though is to have a look on the Dekoni website and you can find the 3M rings to re-attach it there.

Just got a reply back from the seller,

" Oh really? Nah never removed those pads they've been sitting in the case pretty much since bought, it does happen though my LCD-2 classics used to come loose with changes in humidity and temperature. I can contact Audeze to get some of the sticky tape sent out?"

Sound reasonable?

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #12,292 of 13,134
Just got a reply back from the seller,

" Oh really? Nah never removed those pads they've been sitting in the case pretty much since bought, it does happen though my LCD-2 classics used to come loose with changes in humidity and temperature. I can contact Audeze to get some of the sticky tape sent out?"

Sound reasonable?
I don't really get that but if they get the 3M rings for you then all good,surely. Still never heard of not one but two sets coming loose like that but stranger things happen at sea.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #12,293 of 13,134
I don't really get that but if they get the 3M rings for you then all good,surely. Still never heard of not one but two sets coming loose like that but stranger things happen at sea.

Yes, if he can do that, I think I'll be pretty happy.

Not sure which version/revision they are, I paid £550, I've asked him if he still has the original headband, they have Fazors, if they are only a few months old as he claims what revision would that most likely be?

IMG_20200803_193402.jpg

They sound very nice, I was worried that they might not be much of an upgrade from my K712 Pro's, I think mainly because from reading about them I expected them to sound overly warm, and maybe lacking in detail because of that, and although they are a warmer sounding headphone than the K712's I'm very surprised at the little micro details I'm picking up in music, especially live music, the sound of a plectrum on guitar strings etc.

I'm running them off an Audeze Deckard, what gain is recommended, currently I'm using low gain and comfortable listening volume is around 11 o'clock?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #12,294 of 13,134
I suppose low gain for Audeze on a fairly grunty amp like the Deckard is best as you have more volume dial movement available. If it's a too quiet recording, switch to high gain. Someone will have an actually technical answer.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #12,296 of 13,134
Is the original leather headband as uncomfortable as it is made out to be or is it doable? I keep seeing older lcd2's at reasonable prices on the secondhand market, but the headband concerns me especially given the weight of the cans. I know you can swap it out for the suspension one,but i'd prefer not having to drop another $125 to make the headphones usable.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #12,297 of 13,134
I sent Audeze my serial number to ask them if they can tell me anything about my LCD-2f, they got back to me today and said it was made in November 2017,

"we don't codify these changes in differing revision numbers so unfortunately I don't have a specific revision number to give you, other than to tell you that these headphones were originally built in November of 2017 (which would put them past our last "major" revision in January 2016)"

What was the 'major' revision that happened in January 2016? Mine being made in Nov 2017 does it have a particular sound signature? and how would it differ from the pre 2016 models? I also notice on here you guys refer to some of the LCD-2 by different revisions, is there a chronological list that explains the revisions on here?

They also told me they don't keep FR graphs anymore which was a little disappointing.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #12,298 of 13,134
I sent Audeze my serial number to ask them if they can tell me anything about my LCD-2f, they got back to me today and said it was made in November 2017,

"we don't codify these changes in differing revision numbers so unfortunately I don't have a specific revision number to give you, other than to tell you that these headphones were originally built in November of 2017 (which would put them past our last "major" revision in January 2016)"

What was the 'major' revision that happened in January 2016? Mine being made in Nov 2017 does it have a particular sound signature? and how would it differ from the pre 2016 models? I also notice on here you guys refer to some of the LCD-2 by different revisions, is there a chronological list that explains the revisions on here?

They also told me they don't keep FR graphs anymore which was a little disappointing.

There's a whole thread here on Head-Fi devoted to the "major" revision in 2016 across their entire line that affected the voicing:

Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #12,299 of 13,134
Is the original leather headband as uncomfortable as it is made out to be or is it doable? I keep seeing older lcd2's at reasonable prices on the secondhand market, but the headband concerns me especially given the weight of the cans. I know you can swap it out for the suspension one,but i'd prefer not having to drop another $125 to make the headphones usable.

More than doable. I even prefer it over the new one. I find that with the new headband, the leather suspension strap tends to stretch which then allows your head to make contact with the spring steel bands. In that state, which is hard to avoid after some time, it's less comfortable than the original headband, which, if nothing else, doesn't ever get less comfortable. I am definitely in the minority here and you may disagree with me if you try both, but the original style headband shouldn't be a reason to miss out on a deal.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #12,300 of 13,134
I find that with the new headband, the leather suspension strap tends to stretch which then allows your head to make contact with the spring steel bands. I am definitely in the minority here and you may disagree with me if you try both, but the original style headband shouldn't be a reason to miss out on a deal.

Yeah, what phthora said. I have some 2018 build LCD2's and the leather strap has indeed stretched and contacts the steel band depending on how I position them. I haven't tried an early pair so I can't comment about hotspots with those. I will say that even though the leather has stretched on mine, I haven't found it to be an issue but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back