Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #11,791 of 13,139
Thanks again. I was tempted to get the element because of the huge potentiometer and industrial aesthetic. Another amp I have in mind is the Corda Jazz from Meier Audio. Its stepped attenuator, premium feel, and positive feedback are the driving forces behind its inclusion on my list of potential amps.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #11,792 of 13,139
What I've heard so far

Polaris: $250 + shipping ($15)
Asgard2: $250 + shipping ($24)

Used:
Lake People G109: $350-400
Teac HA-501: $400-500
Heron 5: $450
Liquid Carbon: $400 (this is the original and not the massdrop LCX)

One reason I usually suggest the Polaris is that you can adjust the output impedance which makes if one of the more versatile amps around.
Another option is a used Deckard. Would be less than $400 used and had a dac but it’s an exceptional pairing for all the LCDs.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #11,794 of 13,139
Anybody tried the Audio Sensibilty impact se copper cable for lcd-2?
Im planning to get it but I still dont know what the stock cable is made of. But it can not be 7N occ copper right?
The company would let you know by email.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #11,795 of 13,139
I often read about headphones being 'portable' or not. If I am sitting at my computer, then sure, I don't need portable. But I'm more often sitting in the living room = no computer, in the same old chair. So... I use my 2016 LCD-2's with my FiiO x5iii, a FiiO E12, and my iFi iCAN plugged into the wall. Non-portable headphones and amp combined with portable DAP and amp. Right now I can really enjoy Andy Fraser's magnificent bass guitar on Free's Fire and Water album, 2016 remaster. Sweet! To say nothing of Alec Dankworth's bass on Ginger Baker's album, Why? Wow!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #11,796 of 13,139
If anybody who gave up on the Original LCD-2 and still has them: if you can afford it, get it fazorized. It makes a huge difference. I had given up hope after buying one of the first. Now I am very happy. They have imrpoved my enjoyment of all kinds of music (classical, early indie groups, alt country, americana and folk). You can find out the price by looking on their site.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #11,797 of 13,139
i just deliberately bought the LCD2 R1R2 for 500 canadian. after looking for it for a while. will receive it next weekend or the week after. comes with this ALO balanced cable. so pretty good deal. mint condition. has a foam headband but no L and R text on the grill i think. i did all my reading on the versions i think the R1 is a relic so i must have a try. never been repaired. so i have to baby it. my lcd3 is repairing right now. one side died. less than 3 years old. i might just downgrade if i like the 2 more. after reading all these review on how good the original one is. maybe thicker diaphragm is more durable. anyone still have the LCD2 R1R1? i think have thicker but crappy foam and L and R text and i think more likely to crack wood connector. i'll post some pics once i receive. the LCD1 maybe even more collectible value. i think i am pretty damn complete on gear on the headphone side. speaker in future.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #11,798 of 13,139
2.1s had them for a good while.
Miss them, really thick/rich and extended on the drums/decays vs truncated decays.Great for the treble sensitive.Lush mids. Beastly powering requirements by current standards, but not as bad as HE-6 requirements to get the grunt going.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #11,799 of 13,139
One question about the amp power, i have this nx4 dsd which can power these lcd to very loud on high gain but it does have a bit less bass at same loud volume than compare with deckard. actually these two are quite comparable. but the audio-gd i got will have the bass much stronger than these two. but i was only able to listen to 5 minutes and the lcd3 died. i don't think the amp killed it. i been using my back up el8 with it for over a week not and played many hours no problem. so question is the amp has to have high watt to make a headphone shine which require power? compare to smaller amp but capable to go loud but at a higher dial volumen level.

anyways now i have deckard and 10.32 i don't bother with these nx4 dsd. awesome little device for what it is. quite an technological achievement. the lcd sounded bad with little dot iii like everyone else said and i couldn't agree more and that one is gone now lol.

looks like the lcd classic which is in production now is the closest to the original lcd2. but the steve guy online said it's better than the original, i just watched his youtube video yesterday. but i think having a vintage first gen on the head give you physiological impression of "original". not a lot of these now either people love them and not selling, low production number, or all broken.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #11,800 of 13,139
Anyone have any recommendations for replacement ear pads? The right pad on my LCD2F compresses more than the left giving me some channel imbalance, so looking to replace them without breaking the bank. Considering the Dekoni pads since they seem to be good value - any thoughts on the different varieties? Thanks!

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #11,801 of 13,139
Anyone have any recommendations for replacement ear pads? The right pad on my LCD2F compresses more than the left giving me some channel imbalance, so looking to replace them without breaking the bank. Considering the Dekoni pads since they seem to be good value - any thoughts on the different varieties? Thanks!
I have the dekoni pads. These are stiffer than stock but acoustics are nice.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #11,804 of 13,139
20181017_215032.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] just received this.comes with this XLO balanced cable, but with small xlr connector female and 2 single end adapters. so now i have to find an adapter to go from mini xlr 4 pin to large xlr 4 pin. i searched and no such thing exist. so is it possible to cut the cable at the end and hook up a large 4 pin xlr? need silver solder?

not sure what xlo model this cable is anyone have idea?

this unit i got is in wonderful condition. might be one of the best out there. i enjoy the sound very much. it is dark but being so it feel more life like than LCD3. The build quality is higher than LCD3. a few things i noticed:

1. audeze printed as audez'e, very interesting
2. the headbad adjustment piece is brushed aluimum. not like all the new ones are plastic
3. leather pad is harder material but because of this my ear doesn't touch the metal grill inside. also it's flat since non fazor and more comfortable
4. the foam headband is significantly more comfortable than the leather LCD3 older model ones.
5. lighter than LCD3.
6. Bass is very good. i need to test some more in the balanced port if i can get the cable sorted out.
7. the mini xlr pots on the headphone wood clicks in with the cable more satisfying than LCD3.
8. came with one original single end cable and this cable is better than the flat cable some LCD3 comes with.

to me this thing is a relic grade piece and making it more enjoyable when listening. i got it with HD800 from same seller and that HD800 is not bright at all compare to the grado gh2 i just sold.

overall i can see how this headphone make audeze where it is now. they should just continue building exactly the same headphone, nothing need changed on this one. paid about 380 USD equivalent with the aftermarket cables. damn good deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back