Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #11,777 of 13,132
How does the Polaris compare with the El amp? Would it have enough power. Looking to upgrade to LCD3's soon and that is a consideration as well.
I haven't heard the EL amp so I wouldn't know how they compare with the Polaris. I've only used the Polaris a few times and to me its a pretty good pairing with almost any headphone and fairly close to my Ember without the tube rolling capability. I do prefer the headphone output of my UD301 with my LCDD-2f since its just a nice clean warmish full sound that is musical and easy to listen to for hours. I wouldn't worry about power unless you are listening at hearing damaging levels (over 90dB) and even then I wouldn't focus on "power" since I find that synergy is way more important in how a headphone sounds/pairs with an amp.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #11,778 of 13,132
I haven't heard the EL amp so I wouldn't know how they compare with the Polaris. I've only used the Polaris a few times and to me its a pretty good pairing with almost any headphone and fairly close to my Ember without the tube rolling capability. I do prefer the headphone output of my UD301 with my LCDD-2f since its just a nice clean warmish full sound that is musical and easy to listen to for hours. I wouldn't worry about power unless you are listening at hearing damaging levels (over 90dB) and even then I wouldn't focus on "power" since I find that synergy is way more important in how a headphone sounds/pairs with an amp.
What solid state would you get within $400?

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #11,779 of 13,132
Audio-gd NFB-1 every time. Nothing comes close in this price range.

Edit: apologies just noticed the ‘within $400’, although if you can stretch another 100 or so (incl shipping) or snag a used one, it’s worth the effort.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #11,781 of 13,132
Audio-gd NFB-1 every time. Nothing comes close in this price range.

Is that under $400 with shipping and fees and all? I seem to remember it being more expensive than that. I'd check myself but the work firewall doesn't allow the Audio-gd site through.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #11,785 of 13,132
Is that under $400 with shipping and fees and all? I seem to remember it being more expensive than that. I'd check myself but the work firewall doesn't allow the Audio-gd site through.
My bad, it’s $485 before shipping (although you’ll probably get a discount if you ask). Still even for $485 there’s very little to touch the features and power.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #11,786 of 13,132
My bad, it’s $485 before shipping (although you’ll probably get a discount if you ask). Still even for $485 there’s very little to touch the features and power.

Well, I absolutely agree with that. Although, I found that there were a few things the NFB-1 couldn't do, so I bought an NFB-28.38. :wink: Audio-gd makes amazing products.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #11,787 of 13,132
Well, I absolutely agree with that. Although, I found that there were a few things the NFB-1 couldn't do, so I bought an NFB-28.38. :wink: Audio-gd makes amazing products.
They certainly do. I found the same as you and got me an R-28 :sunglasses:

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #11,788 of 13,132
They certainly do. I found the same as you and got me an R-28 :sunglasses:

Nice! I've been curious about Audio-gd's R-2R stuff, but I don't know how much difference that would add over a solid state DAC. I just haven't had much more than a couple of lengthy auditions with R-2Rs, and those weren't ideal circumstances for A/B'ing.

Audio-gd really does an excellent job with planars, and I would recommend the OP go for an NFB-1 amp anyway. In this case, there is no fear of diminishing returns on increased investment. The NFB-1 is an end-game amp for a neutral solid state all-rounder.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #11,789 of 13,132
Audio-gd really does an excellent job with planars, and I would recommend the OP go for an NFB-1 amp anyway. In this case, there is no fear of diminishing returns on increased investment. The NFB-1 is an end-game amp for a neutral solid state all-rounder.
Completely agree. I find tubes are hit and miss with the LCDs, but every Audio-gd solid state amp I've heard them on fits them like a glove. And they drive them with the power they need too, especially the LCD-3.

Nice! I've been curious about Audio-gd's R-2R stuff, but I don't know how much difference that would add over a solid state DAC. I just haven't had much more than a couple of lengthy auditions with R-2Rs, and those weren't ideal circumstances for A/B'ing.
Well worth an extended listen, although I believe Audio-gd's implementation of the ESS 9038 Pro is superb. You can't really lose at this level and quality. Endgame for sure.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #11,790 of 13,132
What I've heard so far

Polaris: $250 + shipping ($15)
Asgard2: $250 + shipping ($24)

Used:
Lake People G109: $350-400
Teac HA-501: $400-500
Heron 5: $450
Liquid Carbon: $400 (this is the original and not the massdrop LCX)

One reason I usually suggest the Polaris is that you can adjust the output impedance which makes if one of the more versatile amps around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back