Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #11,716 of 13,132
Check the two philips screws on the headband adjuster(the ones connecting the adjustment rod to the headphone cups). My screew on my right side was loose. This meant that the L & R side didn't make the same contact with my head. On the right side i had a big gap on the bottom part. The sound sounded more distant and bass was lacking.

Sounds like my problem. Im gonna check it out and play a little more with the adjustment.

And I still havent tried them with an real amp. That could fix it. Fiio e12as output power is just 0.4W

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #11,717 of 13,132
I'm currently looking at the Audeze deckard, Audio Gd R28 or NFB 1.
All three would be superb with the LCD-2. Depends if you want to use a balanced connection (NFB-1/R-28), and if you need a dac as well (Deckard/R-28). Amp only, NFB-1 for sure; more powerful, more features and better value than the other two. Dac/amp: R-28 would be my take, purely because it combines an insanely powerful and clean amp with a top-shelf R2R dac. But the Deckard is no slouch either, so you can't go wrong.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #11,718 of 13,132
All three would be superb with the LCD-2. Depends if you want to use a balanced connection (NFB-1/R-28), and if you need a dac as well (Deckard/R-28). Amp only, NFB-1 for sure; more powerful, more features and better value than the other two. Dac/amp: R-28 would be my take, purely because it combines an insanely powerful and clean amp with a top-shelf R2R dac. But the Deckard is no slouch either, so you can't go wrong.

How would you discribe the sound signature of these amp? I know solid state tends to be neutral but I've read that the Deckard leans more towards warm than neutral.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #11,719 of 13,132
How would you discribe the sound signature of these amp? I know solid state tends to be neutral but I've read that the Deckard leans more towards warm than neutral.
Can’t speak for the Deckard (I’ve just read about it and heard from friends), but from what I’ve heard the dac lets it down a little and the amp is excellent.

As for the NFB-1 and R-28 (heard the one, own the other), the amp is very transparent and has hardly any colour. At a push it’s a smidge warmer than neutral, but you’d be hard pressed to tell. Both are very resolving and powerful. By the way, the amp section in the R-28 is virtually identical to the NFB-1, so if you only need an amp, Save some cash and get the NFB-1.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #11,720 of 13,132
Do you guys have any solid state amp recommendation for the LCD 2? I'm currently looking at the Audeze deckard, Audio Gd R28 or NFB 1. I've tried to Jotunheim and the LCX from Massdrop before and did not like the Jot, while I like the LCX I feel like it does not provide enough power for the 2 to reach their potential.

I’m using chord mojo, which works great on the whole Audeze line.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #11,721 of 13,132
I’m using chord mojo, which works great on the whole Audeze line.
I heard the mojo and magni 3 combo woth the lcd xat a local meet and that was a great combo for the price

I have the cayin iha6 with the lcd2 and that works pretty well particularly with a balanced cabl

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #11,723 of 13,132
Can’t speak for the Deckard (I’ve just read about it and heard from friends), but from what I’ve heard the dac lets it down a little and the amp is excellent.

As for the NFB-1 and R-28 (heard the one, own the other), the amp is very transparent and has hardly any colour. At a push it’s a smidge warmer than neutral, but you’d be hard pressed to tell. Both are very resolving and powerful. By the way, the amp section in the R-28 is virtually identical to the NFB-1, so if you only need an amp, Save some cash and get the NFB-1.
Dac isn't a problem as Im using the gumby but since they're opposite form factor I might just switch to the R28. Still debating it though since I'm using the Mj2\Gumby and it's such a good combo.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #11,724 of 13,132
Dac isn't a problem as Im using the gumby but since they're opposite form factor I might just switch to the R28. Still debating it though since I'm using the Mj2\Gumby and it's such a good combo.
That is an excellent combo indeed. Unless you're after something specific that this combo doesn't give you, why change?

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #11,725 of 13,132
I heard the mojo and magni 3 combo woth the lcd xat a local meet and that was a great combo for the price

I have the cayin iha6 with the lcd2 and that works pretty well particularly with a balanced cabl
Hows the Iha6 with the lcd 2? I've read that the Iha has a slight treble thing up top and the bass is a bit flat on it from a review by Gbeast from here and the other forums.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #11,726 of 13,132
That is an excellent combo indeed. Unless you're after something specific that this combo doesn't give you, why change?
I've always been interested in audio gd and the quality components that they offer. It's been on my want to try list for sometime. I would of went for the NFB1\R2R1 if I had not found the Mj2 combo for a great price. I guess it's for the sake of trying? I also think R28 will be a great match with the liquid platinum coming out soon.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #11,727 of 13,132
I've always been interested in audio gd and the quality components that they offer. It's been on my want to try list for sometime. I would of went for the NFB1\R2R1 if I had not found the Mj2 combo for a great price. I guess it's for the sake of trying? I also think R28 will be a great match with the liquid platinum coming out soon.
Fair enough, although in my opinion if you get the R-28 you won't want for a separate amp. The NFB-1 inside the R-28 is superb (for me). Some might want more, I don't. Drives my LCD-3 like they were made for each other.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #11,729 of 13,132
Fair enough, although in my opinion if you get the R-28 you won't want for a separate amp. The NFB-1 inside the R-28 is superb (for me). Some might want more, I don't. Drives my LCD-3 like they were made for each other.
Thank you, the only reason why I would want a second amp is to have a tube and solid state amp adding in a bit of flavor.

what headphones did you try after selling the lcd2f may i ask?
I got the ZMF Auteur and LCD 3. I preferred the 2 over the 3 because the 2, while lacking in resolution to the 3, had more punch in the bass department with highs that sparkle (more air and treble presence?) The LCD 2f were more musical and sweet to my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #11,730 of 13,132
Thank you, the only reason why I would want a second amp is to have a tube and solid state amp adding in a bit of flavor.

I got the ZMF Auteur and LCD 3. I preferred the 2 over the 3 because the 2, while lacking in resolution to the 3, had more punch in the bass department with highs that sparkle (more air and treble presence?) The LCD 2f were more musical and sweet to my ears.
tks. i thought the 3 had the most sweet sound from audeze. Why did you sell the lcd2c and keep the 2f if you prefer the bass and musical sound may i ask? tks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back