Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #11,371 of 13,139
Very nice! I'm curious as to what gear you use for them

DSC_2956.jpg

I use a Transit Pro as a source, that gives a nice headstage. The optical feed then goes into my DPA Renaissance dac, to my XCAN v3.
(It is possible to use the 2016 mac book pro headphone out as source, but that just sounds terrible.)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #11,372 of 13,139

I use a Transit Pro as a source, that gives a nice headstage. The optical feed then goes into my DPA Renaissance dac, to my XCAN v3.
(It is possible to use the 2016 mac book pro headphone out as source, but that just sounds terrible.)
Cool set-up! Surprisingly, my iMac's CD player isn't bad spinning discs. I'm kind of shocked. I'll have to A/B it with my dedicated transport, but off-hand it's pretty close call

I hope I haven't offended anyone with that statement *scurries under table*

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #11,373 of 13,139
You are correct the earpads are compressed when you do this. Just about the same amount or maybe a little more than when you put them on your head. I would not recommend using a basketball, use something that measures "slightly" wider than your head width and is somewhat pliable, pillows, soft armchair cushions etc. Just make sure they are not more than slightly wider than your head. I used pillows and did not experience any abnormal ear pad compression from this method. If you actually try putting your headphones on a pillow that is '"slightly" wider than your head you will see very little or no difference in ear pad compression vs wearing them.
I have used both the manual method (on V Moda M80's) and pillow method with good results. The manual method can result in over stretching the headband if not done with care. I suggest doing what you are most comfortable with. I offered this method for people who are uncomfortable bending their headbands by hand.
If you are fearful that your earpads will be damaged by this method by all means don't try it. I learned this method from a Martin Logan Mikros 90 thread seveal years ago. Did not hear of any ear pad damage in the thread from people who tried it.
If the pads would flatten permanently after just a couple of days of compressing, we'd all have flat pads.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #11,374 of 13,139
I low key think I might have won the LCD 2.2 Pre-Fazor Lottery... the more I listen to these the less my HE 4 impresses me... and the last time I had the LCD 2 it was a 2014 Fazor with Vegan pads and it felt like a side grade to my HE 4 at that time... but this bad boi... Pre Fazor with Leather ePads... it's quite impressive! First an foremost the BASS is visceral! The same weight as I remembered from the 2014 Fazor BUT with more speed! I can listen to EDM without any EQ!!! The top end is also very lively! These don't sound nearly as dark as I remember the 2014 Fazor pair...

As for resolve, I'm not ready to call it yet but... I'm hearing some detail that's new to me. Never a bad thing but... a little frustrating lol, non the less I'm a happy camper! Oh! Also my Project Ember II is running these better than my NFB10ES2. The Ember II provides a little over 2.1w for the LCD 2, which is 1/3 of what the NFB10ES2 has on tap... but the Hybrid Tube is proving more resolving, tighter and just better overall! As it should, I purchased the Hybrid Amp for the POWER of Solid State with that touch of Tubey goodness, and it's doing exactly that!

I guess my only gripe is the headband. I have it stretched out to the LAST notch, I suppose I should be happy it fits! That I have JUST enough extension, the LCD XC I also have doesn't need nearly as much extension from the headband as these but... oh well. Its working nicely

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #11,375 of 13,139
Late night listening with my 2016 LCD-2F is such a freakin' pleasure. Tonally, it's laid-back nature is great - gives me the HD650 type signature with sub-bass I wanted when I moved on from the Senns. Minor quibbles would be with the weight (mostly used to it now) and the treble just being a little plasticky but I love the bass and mids. These cans are musical and make me happy.

I'm sure there are better cans out there, but I just wanted to show my appreciation for my late night companions, digging the LCD-2F + Jot combo right now :)

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #11,376 of 13,139
Some of what you don't like about the treble could be the Jot. I get a very natural sound from my NFB-28>LCD-2.2F

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #11,377 of 13,139
Some of what you don't like about the treble could be the Jot. I get a very natural sound from my NFB-28>LCD-2.2F

Very possible. I went to the Jot from a Magni 2U which had similar timbre in the treble, although the Jot's cleaner background and better dynamics were well worth it IMO. I am using the Jot's built-in DAC, which I've heard imparts a glare to the treble, so that may be more responsible than the Amp section.

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #11,378 of 13,139
After wrestling for a full week with the extreme discomfort of the my Rosewood LCD-2's, I give up. I'll return them back to the seller first thing this week. I went with the Sony MDR-Z1R instead, super comfy, the complete opposite of the LCD-2's.

Thank all of you for your replies and efforts.

-dm

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #11,379 of 13,139
After wrestling for a full week with the extreme discomfort of the my Rosewood LCD-2's, I give up. I'll return them back to the seller first thing this week. I went with the Sony MDR-Z1R instead, super comfy, the complete opposite of the LCD-2's.

Thank all of you for your replies and efforts.

-dm
At least you gave them a week, my GF gave them 30 seconds and yanked them off with a whole bunch of !@#$%^&

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #11,382 of 13,139
Hi,

Not sure if this is a stupid question but would like to use my LCD-2s balanced, but I have a single ended cable that came with them is it possible to covert it to balanced and have a adapter towards the end of the cable to switch between balanced and single ended ?

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #11,383 of 13,139
Hi,

Not sure if this is a stupid question but would like to use my LCD-2s balanced, but I have a single ended cable that came with them is it possible to covert it to balanced and have a adapter towards the end of the cable to switch between balanced and single ended ?

Yes it is possible. If you want to go DIY I'd suggest making the whole cable. I guess cutting the 6.5mm connector and adding a 4 pin XLR is still possible in that cable.
You would still need a 4pin to 6.5 adapter.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #11,385 of 13,139
Hi,

It depends on if the stock cable uses four conductors, or just three. If it has the full four, then yes, you can reterminate the cable for balanced and use an adapter to go from XLR to 1/4". But you cannot go the other way, from 1/4" to XLR. That would short the negative lines together and damage your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back