Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #11,356 of 13,132
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased a Rosewood LCD-2 New, I've been after these for well over a year, I had to sell a few things to pennie up the cost. After burning the cans for a day, I tried the cans here and there, but yesterday (day 3) I put them on and listen to music for about three or four hours and MY god! such beautiful and gorgeous sound, it puts my old HD650's to shame. But, the main reason why I'm writing to all of you LCD-2's owners is because of the massive clamp and discomfort of the LCD-2's. I have come a cross a few forums and comments detailing the pain and fatigue, but this is WAY beyond the normal, I can't Believe Audeze didn't address this issue with the latest iteration of the LCD-2s. My set were manufactured on Aug 28th 2016, therefore, the are the latest version of the cans. What are some of you doing to reduce the clamping pressure, thanks and I will wait for the feedback.

P.S: Here's a pic of the LCD-2 Setup, I Paired it with the Fostex HP-A4BLwith the Balanced wire by Audeze. :)

jkfYss2b2rEaUrF542jiQtbS_zE02LdARVM_73lxjMyd97-F0QBtbcxJFkjdmlY68QkdMLZwqAzOWtHWfQbSXlY7knDhwa5o-m2-WM9ZzprG_quyhS5snS2UnbZtnMPux0H7ZnXwsNGCaLuWxcEp2pYCUUJQKpkV6-tPHlgIVlzAx8VLtNbK-4FkB7SnmVT_SYUFjFlVaLa8AwILFuEW_XqS5HzoHfKIyvBfRcAiWzP1IX0Un292tq-pMJcvcj19y5780KouGeGtaCClhH5oB4OxNn3rntVSuM-NiaPdDDNH8zOdIjp1aWenRWDJMCTz-H9cWUQfS4lCx5pyWluMKmCXkPLxkX2OTcUEzZvVSRtTTUB6Qm7KJgc8_TGxvcNFNzlDogPsuIR2XXbL90XHLWP5L0kTq8Ep5wx7n2SJJXyOpbz0pr0Mdch6_QU1fi1togDYRynSoSf3opWlX25xdrqrkjP0yzHzElQf_GHP_J31Tet-zo0hzT6sSGoKixs2fBBwzHeKQfhXqMJWx3mZY3DRe1HN0euhac953YSNSuWYpn-02v6-DBnyDDcK9idsPfLs9ML90isp0POxLqF9jCd5IqISdd-ShD1NunXpuQ=w724-h965-no

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #11,357 of 13,132
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased a Rosewood LCD-2 New, I've been after these for well over a year, I had to sell a few things to pennie up the cost. After burning the cans for a day, I tried the cans here and there the second day, but yesterday (day 3) I put them on and listen to music for about three to four hours and MY god! such beautiful and gorgeous sound, it puts my old HD650's to shame. But, the main reason why I'm writing to all of you LCD-2's owners, is because of the massive clamp and discomfort of the LCD-2's. I have come a cross a few forums and comments detailing the pain and fatigue, but this is WAY beyond the normal, I can't Believe Audeze didn't address this issue with the latest iteration of the LCD-2s. My set were manufactured on Aug 28th 2016, therefore, the are the latest version of the cans. What are some of you doing to reduce the clamping pressure, thanks and I will wait for the feedback.

P.S: Here's a pic of the LCD-2 Setup, I Paired it with the Fostex HP-A4BLwith the Balanced wire by Audeze. :)

jkfYss2b2rEaUrF542jiQtbS_zE02LdARVM_73lxjMyd97-F0QBtbcxJFkjdmlY68QkdMLZwqAzOWtHWfQbSXlY7knDhwa5o-m2-WM9ZzprG_quyhS5snS2UnbZtnMPux0H7ZnXwsNGCaLuWxcEp2pYCUUJQKpkV6-tPHlgIVlzAx8VLtNbK-4FkB7SnmVT_SYUFjFlVaLa8AwILFuEW_XqS5HzoHfKIyvBfRcAiWzP1IX0Un292tq-pMJcvcj19y5780KouGeGtaCClhH5oB4OxNn3rntVSuM-NiaPdDDNH8zOdIjp1aWenRWDJMCTz-H9cWUQfS4lCx5pyWluMKmCXkPLxkX2OTcUEzZvVSRtTTUB6Qm7KJgc8_TGxvcNFNzlDogPsuIR2XXbL90XHLWP5L0kTq8Ep5wx7n2SJJXyOpbz0pr0Mdch6_QU1fi1togDYRynSoSf3opWlX25xdrqrkjP0yzHzElQf_GHP_J31Tet-zo0hzT6sSGoKixs2fBBwzHeKQfhXqMJWx3mZY3DRe1HN0euhac953YSNSuWYpn-02v6-DBnyDDcK9idsPfLs9ML90isp0POxLqF9jCd5IqISdd-ShD1NunXpuQ=w724-h965-no

All it took for me was bending the headband out (making it less curvy) and it was perfect for me, though admittedly I was a Grado guy for years before, so I'm used to a certain level of discomfort.

I've heard a lot of post talking about upgrading the headband, but, I don't see that helping a whole lot, bending the headband more flat will remove clamp (and add more perceived weight on the headband itself, transferring the discomfort to the top instead of the sides) but also, setting the headphones higher up on your head (with the bottom of the pads just at the bottom of your ears and the back of the pads just at the back of your ears) helps a ton too (and as a side note, usually improves soundstage.

I'd try bending first, if you notice a hotspot on top of your head after bending, then consider some padding or replacement of the band. Probably wont need to though..

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #11,358 of 13,132
All it took for me was bending the headband out (making it less curvy) and it was perfect for me, though admittedly I was a Grado guy for years before, so I'm used to a certain level of discomfort.

I've heard a lot of post talking about upgrading the headband, but, I don't see that helping a whole lot, bending the headband more flat will remove clamp (and add more perceived weight on the headband itself, transferring the discomfort to the top instead of the sides) but also, setting the headphones higher up on your head (with the bottom of the pads just at the bottom of your ears and the back of the pads just at the back of your ears) helps a ton too (and as a side note, usually improves soundstage.

I'd try bending first, if you notice a hotspot on top of your head after bending, then consider some padding or replacement of the band. Probably wont need to though..

Oh man if that isn't the truth! I've been fortunate to have had my own share of very uncomfortable headphones growing up. That combined with the massive weight of my book bag as a High School gave me a nice tolerance for heavy super clamping headphones! Nice to see this thread's still kicking! I should have impressions from my pair tomorrow!

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #11,359 of 13,132
I second the advice to bend out the headband. It's made of spring steel, and will yield to your will. Just be sure not hold on by those plastic cubes when you apply force. Grip just the headband itself, and you'll be golden.

It's true the weight will now rest entirely on the top of your head, but that's much preferable to clamping down on your face and jaw.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #11,360 of 13,132
I second the advice to bend out the headband. It's made of spring steel, and will yield to your will. Just be sure not hold on by those plastic cubes when you apply force. Grip just the headband itself, and you'll be golden.

It's true the weight will now rest entirely on the top of your head, but that's much preferable to clamping down on your face and jaw.
I've been listening to my LCD-X more than my LCD-2F aluminum and it's a bit heavier and I don't find the weight that uncomfortable. But I have been doing neck exercises to strengthen the muscles and perhaps, my head is of a shape that the clamping isn't all that bad either

That's my mutant ability. I'd rather have telekinesis but this will do for now

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #11,361 of 13,132
@davidmthekidd , bending the headband to reduce the clamping force would also be my suggestion but don't make the clamping force too light either since the headphone will easily fall of your head if you look down. I would also suggest the Lohb strap to gain added comfort since it distributes the weight much better on the top of your head.
While I still have my LCD-2 they get very little use due to the weight

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #11,362 of 13,132
I've been listening to my LCD-X more than my LCD-2F aluminum and it's a bit heavier and I don't find the weight that uncomfortable. But I have been doing neck exercises to strengthen the muscles and perhaps, my head is of a shape that the clamping isn't all that bad either

That's my mutant ability. I'd rather have telekinesis but this will do for now

I just purchased a new pair of LCD X cans (that an are currently $500.00 off at Audeze) and they are heavier than my LCD 2'S. However, I don't find them especially uncomfortable. Are they as comfortable as my Sennheiser HD 700's or Beyerdynamic T90's, no way. I believe the size and shape of your head greatly effects whether Audeze headphones are torturous to wear. I also ride motorcycles wearing a helmet for years has strengthened my neck muscles.

One way to stretch the headband is to put them on some pillows or books slightly wider than your head for a few days. I haven't tried it on these but it worked well for a pair of Martin Logan Mikros 90's that fit like a vise.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #11,363 of 13,132
@davidmthekidd , bending the headband to reduce the clamping force would also be my suggestion but don't make the clamping force too light either since the headphone will easily fall of your head if you look down. I would also suggest the Lohb strap to gain added comfort since it distributes the weight much better on the top of your head.
While I still have my LCD-2 they get very little use due to the weight

Where can you buy the Lohb straps? I don't find LCD's to be particularly uncomfortable but anything that improves comfort is always welcome.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #11,366 of 13,132
You are not just stretching the headband but also compressing the earpads, I wouldn't do that at all. Just stretch by hand.

You are correct the earpads are compressed when you do this. Just about the same amount or maybe a little more than when you put them on your head. I would not recommend using a basketball, use something that measures "slightly" wider than your head width and is somewhat pliable, pillows, soft armchair cushions etc. Just make sure they are not more than slightly wider than your head. I used pillows and did not experience any abnormal ear pad compression from this method. If you actually try putting your headphones on a pillow that is '"slightly" wider than your head you will see very little or no difference in ear pad compression vs wearing them.
I have used both the manual method (on V Moda M80's) and pillow method with good results. The manual method can result in over stretching the headband if not done with care. I suggest doing what you are most comfortable with. I offered this method for people who are uncomfortable bending their headbands by hand.
If you are fearful that your earpads will be damaged by this method by all means don't try it. I learned this method from a Martin Logan Mikros 90 thread seveal years ago. Did not hear of any ear pad damage in the thread from people who tried it.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #11,368 of 13,132
I'm kinda surprised that people have issues with LCD clamping force. Have a huge head (3xl custom flex fit hat type of big). LCD 2 doesn't bother me at all. Only 2nd in comfort to my th900. Weight can be an issue for some. Now my hd650s are bothersome. Can only wear comfortably for maybe 30min.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #11,369 of 13,132
The weight has never bothered me.
My LCD-2 still sounds glorious. It has been my main headphone for many years now (seven, perhaps). Although my set has the new angled connectors as can be seen in the picture, and I have switched to the new leather headband and also new pads. ( I have not used the LCD-1 for a while though )

DSC_2954.JPG

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #11,370 of 13,132
The weight has never bothered me.
My LCD-2 still sounds glorious. It has been my main headphone for many years now (seven, perhaps). Although my set has the new angled connectors as can be seen in the picture, and I have switched to the new leather headband and also new pads. ( I have not used the LCD-1 for a while though )

Very nice! I'm curious as to what gear you use for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back