Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #10,561 of 13,134
The mojo direct is the most transparent of all with the LCD2s. The imaging and layering is second to none.

The Mojo direct to my R1s is the most transparent sound I can get at the moment.

I have plenty of gear.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #10,564 of 13,134
Does anyone here think there would be a difference in sound between wood earcups vs. aluminum? Just curious what your thoughts are. Might be a dumb question, I'm not sure. I've only heard wooded version before.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #10,565 of 13,134
Does anyone here think there would be a difference in sound between wood earcups vs. aluminum? Just curious what your thoughts are. Might be a dumb question, I'm not sure. I've only heard wooded version before.

No such thing as a dumb question! But no, no difference. I can see why you would ask that because others have and I've seen someone respond to it scientifically before lol :blush: I love my aluminums. They are sturdy as hell and don't pick up any marks.

Edit: they are also lighter!

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #10,566 of 13,134
Just curious do you think that the wood of the air cups of any headphones make a difference? Certain companies they like to use different woods and they said that plays a role in the overall sound. Do you buy in tonight? I'm just curious

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #10,567 of 13,134
Just curious do you think that the wood of the air cups of any headphones make a difference? Certain companies they like to use different woods and they said that plays a role in the overall sound. Do you buy in tonight? I'm just curious

For a Grado the type of wood cups play a large roll in the sound but also the shape/size of the cups have a impact also.

For the LCD series the wood has very little to no influence on the sound, there is not much interface between the sound waves and the wood so the effect would be minimal to none.

For the Fostex series which use wood cups on a metal frame the type of wood will have some effect but again the shape is also influencing the sound

ZMF headphones are like the Fostex where the type of wood has some effect but also the shape and ports help to tune them.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #10,568 of 13,134

For closed-back headphones, every variation in materials makes a difference in the sonics. For open-back, the sound isn't trapped inside the cups, resonating off the surface of the material, so it matters far less. Audeze's design is SO OPEN, I can't see the wood frames having any effect on sound.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #10,570 of 13,134
I've never heard a Grado, sorry. Those headphones never intrigued me.

Anyway, tonight Pinky played around with a Opus#2>LCD-2 pairing, and found... it sounded amazing. Not lacking in any way. This DAP is killer.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #10,571 of 13,134
Nice pic of the Audeze's
beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #10,572 of 13,134
From all the reading it looks like the magic of LCD-2.2 pre-fazor has gone. I don't care what tech they use, but if Audeze can release something that sounds like that 2.2, I'd buy it instantly. It was perfect for what it did. I hope you're listening Audeze!

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #10,573 of 13,134
  From all the reading it looks like the magic of LCD-2.2 pre-fazor has gone. I don't care what tech they use, but if Audeze can release something that sounds like that 2.2, I'd buy it instantly. It was perfect for what it did. I hope you're listening Audeze!

I have a LCD-2.2  but a friend bought the last LCD2 fazor and I have to say that they are very close. A bit more treble and a tiny bit less sub on the last iteration but the sound is very similar. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #10,574 of 13,134
It seems I may have fixed my issue with a little burn-in and putting my Bifrost Multibit back into my chain. After leaving the Bifrost on for a couple days and listening to the LCD-2 for a couple more weeks, the impact feels like it's come back up a notch. The toe-tapping and head-banging while I work has come back. I no longer feel a sense of "blah" when listening to my headphones, Very happy about that.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #10,575 of 13,134
I have a LCD-2.2  but a friend bought the last LCD2 fazor and I have to say that they are very close. A bit more treble and a tiny bit less sub on the last iteration but the sound is very similar. 

Yes the sound signature is similar but sounstage and detail is not on the same level. The latest fazor is also faster.

You have to compare on the same source / amp / cable to really hear the difference.
The rev 2.2 has a smoother medium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back