Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #9,811 of 13,134

Thought I was looking at the "Lord Of The Rings" ring inscription lol. Look pretty good, and interesting. Definitely a pair of headphones i'd personally expect to hear rock to come out of.

It is Elvish style font (I'm a big LOTR and Hobbit fan). It says "Audeze is the sound of luxury".

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #9,812 of 13,134
  Should be a sticker on the cardboard box

Yup i see it now, it says Rosewood. The Audeze website lists these are worth more. I'm guessing rosewood cost more to get a hold of?

On another note, any recommendations for an amp/dac combo that is perfect for metal? My amp can't really drive these unfortunately (Which i knew ahead of time).  

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9,813 of 13,134
  Yup i see it now, it says Rosewood. The Audeze website lists these are worth more. I'm guessing rosewood cost more to get a hold of?

On another note, any recommendations for an amp/dac combo that is perfect for metal? My amp can't really drive these unfortunately (Which i knew ahead of time).  

I am using a Mojo. It pairs pretty well with these

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #9,815 of 13,134
  Congrats on all of  these nice scores, I thought getting the bamboo model last year for $749 was a good deal, but rosewoods for $500??!! Damn.

Only to the ones who ordered in the first couple hours I guess

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #9,817 of 13,134

Finally received mine today. Again, I ordered on Thanksgiving night. FedEx came while I wasn't home so I had to go pick them up. I received the aluminum pair, which is what I was hoping for. The aluminum ring was as cold as ice. They definitely feel expensive. I don't notice any defects on these. If you told me these were A stock I would never doubt it. This is my first serious headphone setup. I have paired these with a Schiit Jot with the modular dac and a balanced cable from ebay. For <$1,100 all in, I think it sounds pretty good. I don't think I would pay the $1,000 retail for these phones though.

i My only basis of comparison is from my experience with hifi stereo speakers. Admittedly, this setup doesn't sound as life like as my stereo did. I seriously do not understand when people describe the soundstage as "wide" "deep" "narrow" referring to headphone use. I don't think there is any 3D soundstage, just sound right in your ear. Imaging is marginal with headphones. I guess you can't get the same type of expansive soungstage and pinpoint imaging with headphones as you can from a good stereo setup. The highs aren't as natural as I'd like, but good enough. It doesn't sound veiled. If there is any sibilance it is only apparent at higher volumes and even then it is very slight. The highs do however bring attention to themselves. The mids sound very slightly thin, but does not leave me wanting. Bass is decent. For the money I think this setup is a bargain. One definitely cannot get this much fidelity using speaker setups with $1k. I have owned a pair of speakers that cost 6 times as much as these phones that sounded worse. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #9,819 of 13,134

i My only basis of comparison is from my experience with hifi stereo speakers. Admittedly, this setup doesn't sound as life like as my stereo did. I seriously do not understand when people describe the soundstage as "wide" "deep" "narrow" referring to headphone use. I don't think there is any 3D soundstage, just sound right in your ear. Imaging is marginal with headphones. I guess you can't get the same type of expansive soungstage and pinpoint imaging with headphones as you can from a good stereo setup. The highs aren't as natural as I'd like, but good enough. It doesn't sound veiled. If there is any sibilance it is only apparent at higher volumes and even then it is very slight. The highs do however bring attention to themselves. The mids sound very slightly thin, but does not leave me wanting. Bass is decent. For the money I think this setup is a bargain. One definitely cannot get this much fidelity using speaker setups with $1k. I have owned a pair of speakers that cost 6 times as much as these phones that sounded worse. 

...didnt take u long to err..get that "in your head".  :p

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #9,820 of 13,134

Finally received mine today. Again, I ordered on Thanksgiving night. FedEx came while I wasn't home so I had to go pick them up. I received the aluminum pair, which is what I was hoping for. The aluminum ring was as cold as ice. They definitely feel expensive. I don't notice any defects on these. If you told me these were A stock I would never doubt it. This is my first serious headphone setup. I have paired these with a Schiit Jot with the modular dac and a balanced cable from ebay. For <$1,100 all in, I think it sounds pretty good. I don't think I would pay the $1,000 retail for these phones though.

Any more thoughts on the bass? Since you have proper amping id love to know what I'm missing.

I'm using a Sg 200 shange to power these. Bass is not what I was expecting. I watched a sound demo on YouTube where his planar parts of the cans are shaking, mine don't do that during bass heavy songs. Even tried the same songs.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #9,821 of 13,134
Any more thoughts on the bass? Since you have proper amping id love to know what I'm missing.

I'm using a Sg 200 shange to power these. Bass is not what I was expecting. I watched a sound demo on YouTube where his planar parts of the cans are shaking, mine don't do that during bass heavy songs. Even tried the same songs.

I listen to a lot of electronic music. Dubstep and chillstep. The bass is adequate. They are not bass heavy. But if you turn it up, the slam is there and they dig deep enough to the point where you can feel the physical vibration in the pads.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #9,822 of 13,134
I have a similar setup as you.  Would appreciate your opinion on balanced vs unbalanced out. How does the LCD-2 sound without balanced cable?  I also got mine today, but I have a Jotunheim ordered thats on the way.  Is it worth it to get a balanced cable?  Would I notice any difference?

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #9,823 of 13,134

LCD-2 are all about quality controlled textured bottomless bass, not kicker dynamic style bass.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #9,824 of 13,134
  I have a similar setup as you.  Would appreciate your opinion on balanced vs unbalanced out. How does the LCD-2 sound without balanced cable?  I also got mine today, but I have a Jotunheim ordered thats on the way.  Is it worth it to get a balanced cable?  Would I notice any difference?

I'm going to be of absolutely zero help here. I didn't even try the unbalanced cable. I ordered the balanced cable and Schiit Jot the day after I ordered the cans. I feel like if you have an amp and phones that can be connected with a "balanced" cable, then why not do it? The cost of the cable is trivial when you just dropped a grand on an amp and phones. To be honest if the LCD-2's 101db/1mW spec is accurate, I'm probably using less than 1mW 99% of the time. But you're paying $400 for an insanely powerful amp and only limiting yourself to a third of what it is capable of because you don't want to drop a measly $60 on a cable? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back