Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #8,866 of 13,139
  Dear fellow Head-Fi`ers,

I wonder, how is your reliability experience with LCD-2?

I've reached the end of the road in my head-fi search.  I am keeping 4 phones: dt770pro for abuse/kids/gaming, D7000 for privacy, LCD-2 for middle ground between open and closed cans, and HD800S for best thing I've heard, still in reasonable price range.  As you see,  LCD-2 is one of them.  I love its “fat” signature.  The only concern I have is that I had driver failure.  Audeze took care of it, but I am left with bad aftertaste, like with sub $100 (which for someone from communist occupied area was high friggin end) Panasonic phones from my teenage years.   Am I being very unlucky, or the boutique company is selling undertested  technology?  Has anyone had LCD-2 for 3 years, with hard/loud use, with no failures?  One thing I've learned in my journey, is not to trust small companies.  But I love LCD-2 signature, and I want to know how reliability is for you.

Cheers!

While i can't totally blame you for being weary, i will say i think you are a bit too worried.  The long and short, is that any moving part can and WILL eventually fail (be it a day or 10000 years).. materials wear and break down.  That said, early Audeze products were known to being a bit more prone to failure, but current reading sounds like they have that squared away.   I will grant that smaller companies can be hit or miss on initial reliability, as they may not have learned certain lessons that older companies have gone through already. Plus, with the warranty on the new drivers, i think you are in pretty good shape all around.

I know my LCD-2 set is an older model (not sure exactly which sub generation, but it had the black metal headband and non-angled connectors, but newer outside grille), and it the only thing it needed to have done was new ear pads (not a fan of leather as is, so..). I know a failure can be spontaneous, but i have no current reason to worry about their reliability..

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #8,867 of 13,139
The long and short, is that any moving part can and WILL eventually fail (be it a day or 10000 years).. materials wear and break down. 

You are correct - this is true for our physical universe of imperfection and randomness.  Yet, my abused list (each with at least 2-3 of years of higher than average volume use): AKG K702, DT990Pro, ATH M50 and AD700, HD650 - and the only failure was with LCD2f.  But you're right, I'll cease worrying and just enjoy the pleasure :)

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8,869 of 13,139
Quick update: I decided to go for LCD-3s after all and I am enjoying them immensely. My only slight niggle this early on is the slightly heavy clamping force, but hopefully that will even out when the pads start to get broken in a bit (I got the vegan option). That aside they are smooth as butter. Yum.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #8,871 of 13,139
Hello, can anyone tell me what is better sounding LCD-2.1 or 2.2? both pre-fazor. I prefer musicality and intimacy over anything else if it is not to a point where it becomes a problem. (things like soundstage,imaging details etc). I mainly listen to vocal oriented tracks. Thanks,

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #8,873 of 13,139
  I did a video on how to upgrade to carbon fiber headband.

May I ask what the big deal with the headband is? I assume it is a comfort thing mostly, but I would be curious to know why you decided to go with it, and how you feel about it. I didn't watch the video yet so forgive me if those questions are answered in the video.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #8,874 of 13,139
  May I ask what the big deal with the headband is? I assume it is a comfort thing mostly, but I would be curious to know why you decided to go with it, and how you feel about it. I didn't watch the video yet so forgive me if those questions are answered in the video.

Primarily for comfort. There's a hot spot at the top of my head with the stock HB for me with extended use. This is resolved with the CF HB. There are aftermarket HB mods sold online. This is the only official product from Audeze for those with comfort concerns.

http://tinyurl.com/jtze7ws

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,875 of 13,139
I also updated my headband, which i feel was especially needed - i had the "classic headband" complete with care metal and deteriorating foam.  Admittedly, an honest part for me was making my cans LOOK like the $1k cans that they are; cause frankly, with the metal and foam, they did not look the part (and this isn't even me showing off.. this is just how i feel every time i pick em up).

That said, they do feel better than the stock, and are lighter, so it was a nice upgrade all around.

Full disclosure - i got them on eBay for $100, which i felt was fair.  $200 had me hesitating, and considering the leather upgrade for $60..

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #8,876 of 13,139
  I also updated my headband, which i feel was especially needed - i had the "classic headband" complete with care metal and deteriorating foam.  Admittedly, an honest part for me was making my cans LOOK like the $1k cans that they are; cause frankly, with the metal and foam, they did not look the part (and this isn't even me showing off.. this is just how i feel every time i pick em up).

That said, they do feel better than the stock, and are lighter, so it was a nice upgrade all around.

Full disclosure - i got them on eBay for $100, which i felt was fair.  $200 had me hesitating, and considering the leather upgrade for $60..

Yes, the cost also makes me hesitate as I wonder when you go to sell them if potential buyers are going to be willing to pay more for the headband upgrade? I know you can't expect to get all that you pay for the headband back; however, it would be nice to think that at least 50% of it might be possible. I do wonder would somebody be willing to pay the market price for a stock LCD 2F used, plus a $100 premium for the upgraded headband? Hard to say, I'm sure some would. Anyway, it looks awesome and I'm sure it must be more comfortable. By the way, how much did the comfort increase, was it significant?

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #8,877 of 13,139
I just picked up a pair of LCD2s with less than 30 hours on them.

What is the amount of time before these are fully burned in?

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #8,878 of 13,139
  I just picked up a pair of LCD2s with less than 30 hours on them.

What is the amount of time before these are fully burned in?

Depends who you ask, I personally believe more in psychoacoustic brain burn-in as opposed to mechanical break in (although I stop short of completely dismissing the idea of mechanical changes happening). I always just listen and in general it doesn't take me long to acclimate to a new signature, but YRMV. Cheers.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,879 of 13,139
  Yes, the cost also makes me hesitate as I wonder when you go to sell them if potential buyers are going to be willing to pay more for the headband upgrade? I know you can't expect to get all that you pay for the headband back; however, it would be nice to think that at least 50% of it might be possible. I do wonder would somebody be willing to pay the market price for a stock LCD 2F used, plus a $100 premium for the upgraded headband? Hard to say, I'm sure some would. Anyway, it looks awesome and I'm sure it must be more comfortable. By the way, how much did the comfort increase, was it significant?

Compared to the old band (bare foam), yes, it was a significant improvement; but i doubt it would be as big a change coming from the padded leather band.  Certainly, it rocks in the looks department, and lighter is always better too.

As for resale.. ironically, i think i am a great demonstration that 50% is possible.  If the package is nice overall, i dont think its wasted money, but probably never a 100% ROI..

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #8,880 of 13,139
  Depends who you ask, I personally believe more in psychoacoustic brain burn-in as opposed to mechanical break in (although I stop short of completely dismissing the idea of mechanical changes happening). I always just listen and in general it doesn't take me long to acclimate to a new signature, but YRMV. Cheers.

Granted I have an upgraded cable, but theyre nowhere near as "dark" as expected.
In fact they sound only very slightly less bright as my HE-500s,but they def have more bass extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back