Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #8,836 of 13,134
Again I dont have any experience with the el8 so the he500 is the closest reference point I have. The bass is not muddy at all. Bass from stringed instruments become so clear and detailed it is insane. What I was talking about with presence was referring to quantity or emphasis as you stated. I came into this whole audio scene as more of a bass head
basshead.gif
, so I do tend to lean toward a bass heavy sound. 

If you want accurate, natural sound from low to high, I think you will be pleased with the fazor lcd2 

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #8,837 of 13,134
Thanks for the advice about the yokes - I'll chuck them in when I buy the headphones. Regarding the bass, I guess it depends what we mean by more. I am not a fan of loud, muddy bass so what I was trying to say was more to do with how I might 'perfect' the EL-8s having listened to them for a couple of days. If the LCD-2s have the same kind of bass extension as the EL-8s I will be happy. If they provide a bit more clarity then I will be delighted. The only way I would be disappointed is if the LCD-2s further emphasised the bass to the detriment of other areas, but from everything I have read I don't expect that to be the case.

I hated the el8s. I was one of the first to person to preorder and have had several since then from warranty because their production quality was crap. I pointed out on here when they first changed to the white box they did revise the sound, but when coming from the 8s to the lcd 2 ....i can say that the el8s were a waste of time and I should have spent that extra $200 to get an lcd 2 from the beginning. The main difference :

-LCD 2 has a fuller sound (thicker in vocals and bass), the EL-8s will feel thin in comparisons
-EL 8s are airier (the only thing I missed about them) , instruments separate and flow better than lcd 2

Overall, I would rather pay extra to buy an lcd 2 because they use better parts quality wise and is worth the extra for the improvement in sound. It is rather irritating that for $699 , the el8 uses pleather like cushions for the earcups and bits and pieces of plastic around the headband extenders that chip away over time the more you keep extending and unextending the headband ( rather Beats like quality to me) . Not to mention, they have terrible production runs with numerous problems . I have had to exchange 5 through warranty before Audeze were willing to let me switch to the lcd 2 by paying the price differential .

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #8,839 of 13,134
I hated the el8s. I was one of the first to person to preorder and have had several since then from warranty because their production quality was crap. I pointed out on here when they first changed to the white box they did revise the sound, but when coming from the 8s to the lcd 2 ....i can say that the el8s were a waste of time and I should have spent that extra $200 to get an lcd 2 from the beginning. The main difference :

-LCD 2 has a fuller sound (thicker in vocals and bass), the EL-8s will feel thin in comparisons
-EL 8s are airier (the only thing I missed about them) , instruments separate and flow better than lcd 2

Overall, I would rather pay extra to buy an lcd 2 because they use better parts quality wise and is worth the extra for the improvement in sound. It is rather irritating that for $699 , the el8 uses pleather like cushions for the earcups and bits and pieces of plastic around the headband extenders that chip away over time the more you keep extending and unextending the headband ( rather Beats like quality to me) . Not to mention, they have terrible production runs with numerous problems . I have had to exchange 5 through warranty before Audeze were willing to let me switch to the lcd 2 by paying the price differential .

Looks like you had really bad luck with the EL8, mine have been great since day one and still look brand new, also paid $500 for them.  I actually got them after I already had a LCD-2 and was thinking of using them for travel due to the easier to drive nature but due to the weight they just stay at home.

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #8,841 of 13,134
I received my LCD-2F after repairs this past Friday, since my right driver keeps cutting out. These are the most neutral version I have heard so far. The bass, although less dominant, goes really really low and is quite amazing on certain tracks when called for. I would not want for more bass here just to be clear, is is tighter sounding and very punchy and far from anemic. The mids are not as smooth any more, and I see why some folks raised concerns about this. It still has the characteristic Planar sound which is still smooth, but just less so. The upper mids and treble are a bit more pronounced, which I think is the reason for the reduced smoothness, but the highs are still far from sibilant. The sound, reading online reviews, is what I would expect from the LCD-X to be honest but I dunno. It sounds HiFi for sure, and noticeably more detailed than before I sent them in. I am hearing things I didnt hear before, but this is probably due to the slightly more pronounced highs and upper mids. Another effect of this is an apparently clearer and open signature, apparently bigger soundstage, with apparently better imaging because the sound is better separeted, complex passages that sounded congested before now sound less so, and it is easier to pin point background cues now. I am a bit of a detail-head so I am pleased with what I am hearing so far with a now a more balanced sounding headphone, but yeah, the sound is certainly far from the buttery smooth headphones people have come to expect from Audeze.

Run with Optical -> Schiit Bimby -> Matrix M-stage HPA 3B w/ 4xLME49710HA opamps

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #8,842 of 13,134
I agree with your assessment completely.  They merged the LCD2 with the LCDX.  Really great bass, but the adjustments to the midrange really through me off.  The midrange is where the magic is.  The additional subbass, while appreciated, doesn't in my opinion make up for the roughening up of the midrange

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #8,846 of 13,134
Maybe 'less forgiving' is a better description. The drivers sound very fast, so even with tracks that dont sound as smooth, there is still that ease that comes with Planar drivers. Some tracks sound really creamy still, it really depends on the track. I am personally still enjoying them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #8,847 of 13,134
Hmm this graininess people mention concerns me as a soon-to-be LCD-2 owner. I am after smooth, musical mids more than anything.

There is some very real hype building around the newly released Focal headphones, specifically the Focal Elear. By all accounts it should be on your short list and will apparently suit your preferences and then some, assuming you haven't already purchased the LCD-2s

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #8,848 of 13,134
Hmm this graininess people mention concerns me as a soon-to-be LCD-2 owner. I am after smooth, musical mids more than anything.

As @Ampeezy noted the new driver is "less forgiving" than the old one but the upside is its more resolving and clear with well recorded/master tracks but less forgiving of sub-par poorly recorded/mastered stuff.  If you want smooth "forgiving" headphones with great mids then I would look at a HD-650.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #8,849 of 13,134

I find the LCD-2.2f to be utterly clear of grain. In fact, it made my HD600 sound grainy in comparison, which I would not have thought possible before. Audeze delivers a wonderful, clean sound.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #8,850 of 13,134
Don't know, I personally find LCD-X sound more like LCD-2 r2.2 than LCD-3. The left driver of my LCD-X die a few months ago, and I find myself wanting to use my LCD-2 than my 3 as a temporary replacement. As for the poster who is worried about the LCD-2 sounding grainy, I don't find such problem at all myself, but in comparasion, MrSpeakers Ether has a similar sound signature as my LCD-2 but with a slightly cleaner and more detailed sound and wider soundstage, could be a nice option to LCD-2.

I doubt it.  The LCDX is probably closer to the LCD3 LOTUS driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back