Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #7,096 of 13,139
AK Jr. and LCD-2 for $1000 is one of the biggest steals in audio right now afaik.  The Beyerdynamic T1 for $750 on Amazon is up there as well.

You should be able to sell the AK Jr. for at least $400 unopened 

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #7,097 of 13,139
AK Jr. and LCD-2 for $1000 is one of the biggest steals in audio right now afaik.  The Beyerdynamic T1 for $750 on Amazon is up there as well.

You should be able to sell the AK Jr. for at least $400 unopened 

I agree. Even if you end up using the AK Jr, it seems (to my ears) to put out enough to power to drive the LCD-2's very well without an external amp.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #7,099 of 13,139
I assume you're asking where the $1k deal is.

http://www.adorama.com/AULCD2LBTCD.html?emailprice=t&hotlink=t&svfor=5m&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

And I agree with Gan as well. The AK Jr. puts out a ton of power and sounds mesmerizing 

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #7,100 of 13,139
I was wondering what amps pair up with the LCD2 well. Looking for something in the 250-500 dollar range. Maybe Asgard 2 or something along those lines. I saw Audeze has a nice solid state amp on their website and I have to say the specs on it are spectacular. Has anyone listened to one, or better yet bought one and can comment on how it sounds. It is a little over my budget but what are budgets for if not to break them.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #7,101 of 13,139
I was wondering what amps pair up with the LCD2 well. Looking for something in the 250-500 dollar range. Maybe Asgard 2 or something along those lines. I saw Audeze has a nice solid state amp on their website and I have to say the specs on it are spectacular. Has anyone listened to one, or better yet bought one and can comment on how it sounds. It is a little over my budget but what are budgets for if not to break them.

If you want to play with tubes the lyr 2 pairs well.

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #7,102 of 13,139
For someone that been away some years is the Fazor upgrade worth it? I got the LCD 2 rev 2.2 I believe with angled connectors.

As for amps my used Yamaha RDS-440 that I got for 20$ is still the best amp I heard for my LCD-2.

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #7,103 of 13,139

This is my graph from Audeze from my LCD2 that was manufactured on the 11th of this month (12-11-2015). Pardon my audio ignorance but I dare say it looks like it has a 2 dB drop below 40 hz but remains buoyant until 20 hz. Honestly, When I heard them (paired with an M2/M2 Schiit stack) I was totally prepared to be disappointed in their bass extension but the whole experience has been audio nirvana. I can't speak for the other frequency ranges as I have such limited experience with other headphones at this tier, but I too am convinced based on this graph and others that the stealth revision idea definitely looks like it's continuing to hold water. But I'm not quite at the point yet that I feel like shouting from the rooftops "The bass is back, baby!"

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #7,104 of 13,139
Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying the LCD-2s tomorrow as I can get them for a great price right now.

I posted a few questions in another thread, but I think this might be a better place to post them, so here's a copy / paste below :)  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  I've only read the last few pages of this thread (it's SO LONG!, hehe) so please forgive me if any of these questions have been answered already :)

1. LCD-2 Revisions

My understanding is that there are actually 3 revisions of the LCD-2:

LCD-2 rev 1: original release in 2009
LCD-2 rev 2: https://www.audeze.com/driver-update-and-leather-headband
LCD-2F (i.e. rev 3 or rev 2.2?  where did 2.1 go?): the current revision with fazor technology as shown here https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2

Is this correct?

2. LCD-2 wood

I understand there's a bamboo composite and rosewood options.  Apart from aesthetics, do these affect the sound quality at all?

3. LCD-2 ear pads

I understand there's a lamb skin and microsuede option.  Which are the most comfortable?  Are there any differences in sonic signature due to the pads?

4. Comparison to the EL-8

I'd love further thoughts on this.  Personally I thought that the EL-8 sounded about 90% as good as the LCD-2 and preferred the build and appearance of them, but others tell me that the El-8s are not in the same league as the LCD-2s.

What are your thoughts?

5. Comparison to the LCD-3

What would I get by paying the additional cash for the LCD-3?  Do they sound a lot better?

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #7,105 of 13,139

I'm sure someone is going to answer you, but I have say, your avatar looks like me when I finally got to listen to a pair of LCD-2s.

AWESOMENESS.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #7,106 of 13,139
Rev 2 and 2.2 is the same headphone just angular connectors and new headband I believe. 

2F has the Fazor which I am wondering about. Innerfidelity claim it can be retrofitted easilly?

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #7,107 of 13,139
  Rev 2 and 2.2 is the same headphone just angular connectors and new headband I believe. 

Actually.......as mentioned above.

https://www.audeze.com/driver-update-and-leather-headband  2011

"Driver Update and Leather Headband

Audeze LCD2 headphones were introduced in October of 2009. Even among planar magnetic headphones currently on the market (and those of the past), our drivers were quite different with our unique structure and design. The LCD2 has gone through several minor cosmetic changes, but the driver has remained unchanged thus far. 
We are now introducing revision two (Rev2) of our LCD2 driver.  The model will remain the same but newer shipments from the middle of June 2011 onward will have the rev2 driver."

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7,108 of 13,139
Yes they changed driver from Rev 1 to Rev 2. They didn´t change driver from Rev 2 to Rev 2.2

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #7,109 of 13,139
  Yes they changed driver from Rev 1 to Rev 2. They didn´t change driver from Rev 2 to Rev 2.2

You're right!!!  I was bhinking tackwards....
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #7,110 of 13,139

This is my graph from Audeze from my LCD2 that was manufactured on the 11th of this month (12-11-2015). Pardon my audio ignorance but I dare say it looks like it has a 2 dB drop below 40 hz but remains buoyant until 20 hz. Honestly, When I heard them (paired with an M2/M2 Schiit stack) I was totally prepared to be disappointed in their bass extension but the whole experience has been audio nirvana. I can't speak for the other frequency ranges as I have such limited experience with other headphones at this tier, but I too am convinced based on this graph and others that the stealth revision idea definitely looks like it's continuing to hold water. But I'm not quite at the point yet that I feel like shouting from the rooftops "The bass is back, baby!"
I think it makes more sense to measure the bass roll off starting at 100hz, since there is a slight rise at 35hz. If you do that, your pair has near zero roll off. Also take a look at the lcd3. I asked for a graph and one has posted, looking similar to ours. I completely convinced these are second revision fazors at this point.

The worst roll off I've seen at 20hz so far 3db, although maybe old 2.2s had a rise in that region

Users who are viewing this thread

Back