Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #7,111 of 13,140
Has anyone directly compared the late 2015 ("silent-revision") 2F's with the 2.2's?  Below is MissChristie's graph of her Dec. 2015's, superimposed on my 2.2's graph.  My 2.2's response is in red.  Since the F's are more sensitive, I had to shift the Dec. 2015's downward vertically, and I matched on the flat portion between 100-500Hz.  Thoughts?

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #7,112 of 13,140
  I was wondering what amps pair up with the LCD2 well. Looking for something in the 250-500 dollar range. Maybe Asgard 2 or something along those lines. I saw Audeze has a nice solid state amp on their website and I have to say the specs on it are spectacular. Has anyone listened to one, or better yet bought one and can comment on how it sounds. It is a little over my budget but what are budgets for if not to break them.

I am not sure about 250-500 range amps.  If you like the warmth of the tube you can look for http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm made for LCD-2 Planars.  I have them and they are awesome!

You can looks for Schist Lyr-2 which could drive them too would be in your budget, which are tubes too. 

if you like Solid-state you can look for JDS Labs O2 which would be a good match or Apex Butte. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #7,113 of 13,140
Also check out the Audio-GD options in that range.

The aesthetic changes won't affect sound (wood and pads), for whoever was asking last page.

There's 3 major LCD-2 versions. The Rev. 1 or "2.1", the Rev. 2 "2.2" with a driver change, and the Fazor addition "2.2F".

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #7,114 of 13,140
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  I listened to the LCD-2 and EL-8 open for many hours and ended up with the EL-8 open, here are the reasons:

* The portability, ability to fold and sit over the neck
* The slightly more present upper mids
* The price
* The appearance

Overall, I feel that the EL-8s are so similar to the LCD-2s and thus it took me ages to decide.  I think that the Hd650s are  a good cheaper LCD-2 (in terms of sound signature).

Cheers
zambz

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #7,115 of 13,140
  Also check out the Audio-GD options in that range.

The aesthetic changes won't affect sound (wood and pads), for whoever was asking last page.

There's 3 major LCD-2 versions. The Rev. 1 or "2.1", the Rev. 2 "2.2" with a driver change, and the Fazor addition "2.2F".

Confusion is total. Rev 1 is rev 1 not Rev 2.1? When did LCD-2 Rev 2 get a driver change. If so it would be Rev 3. I don´t recall exactly if 2.1 was the angled connector and 2.2 was the new headband or vice versa.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #7,116 of 13,140
  Confusion is total. Rev 1 is rev 1 not Rev 2.1? When did LCD-2 Rev 2 get a driver change. If so it would be Rev 3. I don´t recall exactly if 2.1 was the angled connector and 2.2 was the new headband or vice versa.

My understanding of the naming matches jodgey4's, above.  There are 3 (major) versions: 

LCD-2.1 = the original
LCD-2.2 = updated driver (not necessarily the angled connectors; angled connectors came after the new drivers, so some 2.2's have them, and some don't.  mine do.)
LCD-2.2F (or LCD-2F) = fazored LCD-2

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #7,117 of 13,140
I'm not sure if they still do this, but I just wish they would fix instead of replacing the drivers on my LCD-2.2 non-fazor headphones. I bought the LCD-2.2NF (NF for non-fazored) new and after having them for some time, the drivers stopped working and I sent them in for repair under warranty.

To my absolute dismay, they actually replaced the non-fazor drivers with fazored ones! I requested the new graph and compared with the old one I had, and confirmed that the replacement had the fazored drivers. I did not like the fazored version at all (still good, but I much prefer the non-fazored) so I sold it to a friend.

Mind you, this was a few months ago, but I still long for non-fazored LCD-2. I usually don't like buying used items, and especially don't dare to buy non-fazored used ones because of the driver failure issues (and I doubt the warranty is transferrable). Been lurking here for a while and the 'silent revisions' are giving me hope that the new LCD-2F are becoming more like the legendary LCD-2.2NF. One can only hope!

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #7,118 of 13,140
Rev 1 was the original LCD 2 . why would they change the name from Rev 1 to Rev 2.1. Otherwise they have made two driver changes but having the 2.1 or 2.2 and owned the rev1 I should remember it.

Interesting about the fazor.Innerfidelity seemed to suggest you could retro fit it so maybe you can remove the fazor if you are brave?

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,119 of 13,140
Rev 1 was the original LCD 2 . why would they change the name from Rev 1 to Rev 2.1. Otherwise they have made two driver changes but having the 2.1 or 2.2 and owned the rev1 I should remember it.

What others meant was, LCD-2.1 and LCD-2.2 (and then LCD 2.2f for the fazors). Not LCD Rev 2.1 and LCD Rev 2.2. The LCD 2.1 IS the rev1. The LCD 2.2 IS the rev2. You are confusing the revisions with the model designation.

For what I remember, there was only 3 driver changes/enhancements. I have the 2 "extremes" which is the very early LCD-2.1 (rev1) which has the metal band and the original "Audez'e" spelling but a little angled cable plug, and the LCD-2.2f (rev2 with fazor tech) which sports the leather band. The leather band was the turning point of the revisions. It coincided with the new planar driver and the start of rev2 (LCD-2.2).

LCD-2.1 (rev1) left || LCD-2.2f (rev2) right

Notice the lettering and spelling change around the cups.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,120 of 13,140

Interesting about the fazor.Innerfidelity seemed to suggest you could retro fit it so maybe you can remove the fazor if you are brave?

The "2" in Rev "2.1" is from the model, LCD-2.  The ".1" is the revision.

EDIT: adobotj beat me to it.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #7,121 of 13,140
To make it more difficult - picture shows FIRST LCD-2 version. After this model they changed driver, you can see at new type of grill (The A-logo got introduced). Then they introduced the upgraded version (Rosewood and Bamboo composite) with angled connector. Followed by introduction of a thinner diagramm (no cosmetic changes). Finally the Fazor technology got introduced... LCD-2F.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #7,122 of 13,140
To make it more difficult - picture shows FIRST LCD-2 version. After this model they changed driver, you can see at new type of grill (The A-logo got introduced). Then they introduced the upgraded version (Rosewood and Bamboo composite) with angled connector. Followed by introduction of a thinner diagramm (no cosmetic changes). Finally the Fazor technology got introduced... LCD-2F.

Yup. That's the very first lcd2. After that I my rev1. So I stand corrected. There has been 4 driver changes already not 3. The very first, the rev1, the rev2, and finally the rev2 with fazors.

Edit: 3 changes. 4 drivers in total history.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #7,123 of 13,140
Yup. That's the very first lcd2. After that I my rev1. So I stand corrected. There has been 4 driver changes already not 3. The very first, the rev1, the rev2, and finally the rev2 with fazors.

Edit: 3 changes. 4 drivers in total history.

Correct :wink:  and let's not speak about the earpad revisions
dt880smile.png
Thin pad of first LCD-2... upgraded angled version, introduction of non-leather (vegan) pad and for now the fazor upgraded pad with higher density...

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #7,124 of 13,140
  I was wondering what amps pair up with the LCD2 well. Looking for something in the 250-500 dollar range. Maybe Asgard 2 or something along those lines. I saw Audeze has a nice solid state amp on their website and I have to say the specs on it are spectacular. Has anyone listened to one, or better yet bought one and can comment on how it sounds. It is a little over my budget but what are budgets for if not to break them.

I have an Audeze Deckard amp and find that it works superbly with the LCD-2 as well as MrSpeakers and Sennheiser phones.  I'm using it more than my Bryston BHA-1/BDA-2 combo -- it's that good.  As one reviewer stated, the only problem with the Deckard is that it's too cheap and won't be taken seriously by those looking for a high-end headphone amp.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back