Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #4,426 of 13,134
Could someone perhaps help me figure something out?

I heard somewhere that the fazor LCD-2 has the same pads as LCD-3, is that true?

I saw this picture online, but I'm not sure if that's a fazor lcd-2 on the left.   The LCD-3 pad on the right is definitely thicker, only a slight bit, but you can tell for sure.

Can anyone clear this up/confirm it?   And if the LCD-3 pads are thicker, does that the aftermarket pads from Audeze are all the same, or if some are different thicknesses?

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #4,427 of 13,134
There will be some variation on the thickness in some cases. The real difference is when Audeze started to use the "softer" pads on the lcd2. They are still not the same as lcd3 pads but similar. You can tell by the compression. The newer softer pads compress quiet a bit whereas the older lcd2 pads are firm and don't compress that much. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,428 of 13,134
  There will be some variation on the thickness in some cases. The real difference is when Audeze started to use the "softer" pads on the lcd2. They are still not the same as lcd3 pads but similar. You can tell by the compression. The newer softer pads compress quiet a bit whereas the older lcd2 pads are firm and don't compress that much. 

So the brown lambskin leather pads are thicker than every other pad?

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #4,429 of 13,134

So the brown lambskin leather pads are thicker than every other pad?

I read they can compress in front of the ear too much vs other pads. Thickness and density different on old pads vs new. My micro-suede big volume but compress very easily vs 2.1 pads.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #4,430 of 13,134
I have an early rev1 LCD-2 with foam headband etc and am contemplating fitting the later leather band and up dating the ear pads as well.
Are there any noticeable differences between the black and brown pads that Audeze offer? I'm leaning towards spending the extra and going for the brown pads and head band for a bit of added bling. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4,432 of 13,134
  The browns are what's used in lcd3s. they are quite a bit softer than even the new lcd 2 pads. you can't really go wrong with the lcd3 ones. 

Just received a pair of LCD-3 this morning and the difference in the feel of the pads is one of the first things I noticed. I do like the Rev1's though so an update wont go astray.

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #4,433 of 13,134
I noticed recently that my lcd 2s dont really have much of an angle from the pads because of how they contour to my head. basically they are almost as far rotated back as the gimble allows, like if you swivel them it only goes so far forward and so far back. I'm curious if this an issue on the sound, or if this is how they sit for most of you guys.

edit- checking with a ruler they are technically angled on my head, but they are at the end limit of the rotation.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #4,434 of 13,134
  The browns are what's used in lcd3s. they are quite a bit softer than even the new lcd 2 pads. you can't really go wrong with the lcd3 ones. 

That depends on width of his head and cheek bones from what I read.The pad may fully compress in front of ear with LCD-3 pad.
I'd go for the black pad to get some middle ground on compression.

The firmness between revision 1 and micro-suede black 2014 pads is like night-and-day. But both pads will have a following depending on preference.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #4,435 of 13,134

That depends on width of his head and cheek bones from what I read.The pad may fully compress in front of ear with LCD-3 pad.
I'd go for the black pad to get some middle ground on compression.

The firmness between revision 1 and micro-suede black 2014 pads is like night-and-day. But both pads will have a following depending on preference.

Just having a first listen to the LCD-3 and yes the front of their ear pad does compress almost flat. Just how annoying that may get time will tell. May have to go with the LCD-2 pads after all if they're a bit firmer.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #4,436 of 13,134
now i'm comparing a borrowed 2012/13 Model with my new august 2014 Fazor 

the serials : 5322xxx non fazor  vs 54234xx with fazor 

1. headband :
    looks the same and the clamp force is the same.

2. the pads :
    -  are slightly different in stiffness , angle and thickness are the same, on the new Fazor model the leather-surface is a bit softer.

- the older model seals with more pressure on the front part of the pads. Not so comfortable but ok.enough space for my ears inside the cups.
      Slightly more 'vacuum' feeling. 
    - new model has very very soft pads, seals perfect roundly , less vacuum, very comfortable, my ears tough the fazor tip slightly but not disturbing

3. the sound differs  ! 
    -  older model sounds slightly more dark, the center focus is more far away, three-dimensionality is like in a small ,but very good damped studio room.
       bassresponse is punchy and deep, heights are clear, fast and no nerving. For me the over-all tonality sounds very 'analog' (like a very good analog reel-tape machine      should sound) 
    -  the Fazor sounds much more clean , but not cold , for me the bass has same deepness (all tested with Music & sweeps in Logic Pro ) , but with slightly more upper kick (caused by better/more mids)
       three-dimensionality is much better , more reality, more space ( but not artificial like my AKG 701) , center focus is perfect , the highs are more airy but not piercing.   (highs of  my Beyerdynamic T1 are clean too,but much more artificial and nerving)

Summary: for me the older LCD-2 ( 60Ohms) has the warmer and darker Audeze-sound-signature. I like it very much !!! but i have to give it back...

the 70 Ohm Fazor model sounds really more refined and realistic, more 'flawless' 
      yes , this wawhat I had been looking for
gs1000.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,437 of 13,134
  Summary: for me the older LCD-2 ( 60Ohms) has the warmer and darker Audeze-sound-signature. I like it very much !!! but i have to give it back...
the 70 Ohm Fazor model sounds really more refined and realistic, more 'flawless' 
    yes , this wawhat I had been looking for
gs1000.gif

Thanks for doing the comparison. Sounds as expected.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #4,438 of 13,134
Thanks for solidifying my choice in changing up to the fazor model too. what you describe is what I was looking for out the lcd 2. curious how the vegan pads compare to this apparently softer leather pads on the new models?

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4,439 of 13,134
I think Vegan pads win hands down. Leather pads on LCD-3 Fazor were pretty nice, though. But I still prefer my Vegans (maybe I just don't like leather-naked skin contact).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back