Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #4,381 of 13,134
Maybe some new smaller modern style cans coming to market sub-$1000 to match the new branding......interesting.
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,383 of 13,134

Thanks for the links. After reading through those threads, I think the vegan pads are what I'll go with. Since obviously I am trying to go as much into the new sound direction Audeze is taking, which I guess means more neutral than before. And I want as much comfort as I can get, especially in helping deal with the slight pressure from the clamp that builds up over time with the leathers.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #4,384 of 13,134
Also I like the new branding a lot actually. I think it's pretty obvious that it is more in line with the sound direction they are starting to go into, plus a possible hint at the next round of headphone models coming from them.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #4,385 of 13,134
They certainly hinted at new models for trebleheads or bassheads and in new price brackets when I was talking to them. Get excite (sp)! Could indeed be a sign of things to come.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #4,386 of 13,134
10/10 for the micro-suede earpads plush feel....! Just look amazing.
Everything in container they were in at my local post office got soaked with water but luckily they were sealed 100% in plastic in the water destroyed parcel. Phew ! I still think the ear-hole should be bigger and asymmetrical though.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #4,387 of 13,134
  They certainly hinted at new models for trebleheads or bassheads and in new price brackets when I was talking to them. Get excite (sp)! Could indeed be a sign of things to come.

That sounds like an interesting approach, instead of making the best all rounder possible (kinda like with their current models) just make really awesome models that excel at a very specific sound signature. Sort of what some universal fit IEMs do with the interchangeable filters.

It'll be most interesting to see how the current 4 models will hold up against these newer ones, like will the LCD 2 be effectively obsolete in the coming two years, or will it still hold down its 1000 dollar price bracket as one of the best headphones to get. Personally I always assumed one day Audeze would just completely replace the LCD 2 with a completely new model (like better comfort, less weight, better sound, etc, stuff like that) and just have it at the same price point. Because like realistically how far can they really push the design of their current lineup? sound wise I'm sure thats nearly infinite, but comfort wise when they start designing and making technology in the nest year or two that allows them better sound, but with much less weight, the current line up will be pretty unattractive to use if you had the choice.

So I feel Audeze is about to go under some seriously massive change to their headphone design in the next year or two. What we see today with the LCD model line might be the last of that design style, maybe some extra revisions down the line, but I feel there will be a new model line, not under the LCD name. Or maybe one third possibility is the LCD models will always remain the 1000 and up high end, best of the best from Audeze, and the newer stuff might be the 1000 and under line, more portable, lighter weight, less of a reference tuning.

I'm making all these speculations based upon putting myself in their shoes, there really arent THAT many possibilities that they can go down in the coming year or two lol.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #4,388 of 13,134
If they get suspension headbands, thinner drivers all around (always a goal AFAIK), and perhaps get the Fazor tech to extend down to ~100Hz instead of ~300Hz, they'd not need change any of the LCD's! There'd be nothing to expand on :). They'll always have the dark house sound and follow the Harman target curves for FR... but they seem like they want to try their hands at other colorations. Who knows what will actually happen, nothing seemed definite. They have the name, now's a great time to try some new stuff. Also be on the lookout for some white papers and such on the way the human ear/brain system works, and why they tune the way they do. To me, it all shows that if anything, they're getting more and more devoted to the house sound as their core.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #4,389 of 13,134
yea thats what I feel too, they finally got a good sense of their house sound, and can now branch off from there in different direction since they have a very solid foundation to rely upon. Once they really nail down the comfort side of things with like you said maybe a suspension headband and thinner drivers, then they will have a really solid product that very few people could really find flaw with. We'll just have to wait and see

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #4,390 of 13,134
So Audeze got my LCD-2's last Wednesday to fix my yolks, and Audeze said that it'd take 5 business days to fix.  I'm really confused, I never got an email from them saying they started the process of fixing them (or even received them for that matter)  I sent them the tracking info in an email and they never responded to it either..
I had FedEx signature service + Audeze sent me the shipping label, it says on fedex that they received it and someone signed for it, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

Yesterday I sent an email asking them when I should expect them back so I can make sure I'm home when they're delivered, they didn't respond to that either.. It's been 7 business days now and nothing, not entirely sure what's going on....

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #4,391 of 13,134
Oct 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #4,393 of 13,134

Carbon fiber's kinda tacky, IMO. Give me wood and leather, my neck can take the weight. It looks like it's using a suspended headband though which should make all the bump-haters happy.

1200 ohm impedance, that's interesting. Other modern planars all have low impedance. Hopefully there's an increase in sensitivity to match, or this thing will need more voltage than the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back