Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #4,261 of 13,134
That's the burn-in question. I do not believe in it at all, HOWEVER...

http://www.audeze.com/update

Assembled headphones are being measured with Neumann KU 100 Artificial Head for Frequency Response and Distortion.  Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB. 

What this means is, whether or not burn-in is real, by the time any Audeze headphone lands in anyone's hands they're as "burned in" as they can get. Thus, anyone claiming that theirs suddenly "opened up" X amount of hours after they got them is absolutely incorrect. 

I think it has more to do with your brain and ears adjusting to the headphones rather than the headphones burning in.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4,262 of 13,134
I think it has more to do with your brain and ears adjusting to the headphones rather than the headphones burning in.

I been sayin' that for ages. My opinions of headphones change a lot. When I was coming from the Beats Mixr and Monster DNA, I thought the M100 was on the light side, bass-wise. I spent a bunch of time listening to the Final Audio Pandora 6, put the Beats back on and holy crap that's a lot of bass.

It's why you get people who like brighter headphones crowing about how the HE-400 has thunderous bass, or why bass maniacs will say some super-warm headphone has sparkly highs. Your reference points really alter what you hear. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,263 of 13,134
I been sayin' that for ages. My opinions of headphones change a lot. When I was coming from the Beats Mixr and Monster DNA, I thought the M100 was on the light side, bass-wise. I spent a bunch of time listening to the Final Audio Pandora 6, put the Beats back on and holy crap that's a lot of bass.

It's why you get people who like brighter headphones crowing about how the HE-400 has thunderous bass, or why bass maniacs will say some super-warm headphone has sparkly highs. Your reference points really alter what you hear. 

This is so true, yet so hard for most people to imagine. It's the adaptability that burns in IMO. Just like switching from a heavy salt diet to no salt. When you go back about three weeks later anything that used to taste normal is now just overwhelming with salt. It's all about adaptability and frames of reference.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #4,264 of 13,134
UPDATE on my quest for a new 4 pin balance terminated cable.......

I compared my stock Audeze cable to a+$500 Nordost silver cable.

My conclusion was maybe a 5% difference.   Hanson Audio had a stock Audeze with a balance 4pin termination and I bought it for $70. The stock cable might be an eye sore and the flat design may be prone to tangle, but the price is right...... and they sound good.  My ears must like copper.

Whooh.... glad that I didn't bust the bank.

Again, just my opinion.  YMMV 

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4,265 of 13,134
  UPDATE on my quest for a new 4 pin balance terminated cable.......

I compared my stock Audeze cable to a+$500 Nordost silver cable.

My conclusion was maybe a 5% difference.   Hanson Audio had a stock Audeze with a balance 4pin termination and I bought it for $70. The stock cable might be an eye sore and the flat design may be prone to tangle, but the price is right...... and they sound good.  My ears must like copper.

Whooh.... glad that I didn't bust the bank.

Again, just my opinion.  YMMV 

It was a 5% difference, but was it %5 better than the stock cable? I also like coppers more except for the HD650s. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4,266 of 13,134
SO while I was comparing cables, I had the wonderful pleasure to compare the whole Audeze line to my LCD2s-F (using the same cable, same amp, same loop of music) at Hanson Music.

LCD2-F vs (my old set) LCD2 2.2 =  NO buyers remorse.  The F has more definition, more 3D quality, more sparkle, and sound stage without a loss of bass.  The 2.2s did seem to be neutral & flat, but just kind of dull and blah.

LCD2-F vs LCD3 (non-F) = Honestly, I prefered the LCD2-F.  The Fazors give a 3D shimmer but retain the low end.  The 3s sounded good but definitely were a "upgraded nonF-LCD2".  The LCD2-F just had more low-mids & bass, and the Fazors help out the highs.

LCD2-F vs LCD-X = Slam dunk for the LCD-X, WOW.  What response, articulation, HUGE sound stage.  But they don't have the bass of the LCD2-F, but you don't miss it because you are at the show.  My only concern would be after an hour with the LCD-X would I get ear fatigue because these babies reveal EVERYTHING!!! 

LCD-F vs LCD-XC = I was hoping to love the XCs because I want a highend close back set.  Man was I disappointed.  Lack of low end, ice pick highend, lack of mids.  The highs just hurt my ears.  The highs weren't revealing like the LCD-X, they are shrieking (IMHO).

SO WHICH MODEL IS THE WINNER.....
-If I heard a set of LCD3-Fs, I can't imagine (theoretically without having listened to a Fazor LCD3 set) it being beat....  A sound stage similar to LCD-X, but more laid back.  
-The LCD-X are a must listen and amazing.  
-AND the Fazor LCD2s closed the gap over the previous flagship non-Fazor LCD3s.

Again, these are just my opinion, with my ears.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,270 of 13,134

LCD-F vs LCD-XC = I was hoping to love the XCs because I want a highend close back set.  Man was I disappointed.  Lack of low end, ice pick highend, lack of mids.  The highs just hurt my ears.  The highs weren't revealing like the LCD-X, they are shrieking (IMHO).

That's exactly what I felt after hearing the XC. I love the sound of the LCD-2F and wanted so badly a closed version of them - not in this case...

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #4,271 of 13,134

That's the burn-in question. I do not believe in it at all, HOWEVER...

http://www.audeze.com/update

Assembled headphones are being measured with Neumann KU 100 Artificial Head for Frequency Response and Distortion.  Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB. 

What this means is, whether or not burn-in is real, by the time any Audeze headphone lands in anyone's hands they're as "burned in" as they can get. Thus, anyone claiming that theirs suddenly "opened up" X amount of hours after they got them is absolutely incorrect. 

Thank you, that's exactly what I thought

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #4,272 of 13,134
Did SomeGuyDude just get banned for swearing ?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back