Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,972 of 13,140
While I can only speak for myself, I would address the amp/dac upgrade first if you can financially swing it. It will potentially make far more of a difference. Changing cables really just adds a bit of additional refinement to whatever setup you're running. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,973 of 13,140
I owned the LCD2 rev2s for a few days that I got from a friend.  Unfortunately, there was connector /cable issues and I had to send it back for warranty.

The customer service there explained to me that the Fazor technology is meant to be an upgrade and that it would cost $250 dollars to get this "upgrade".  Apparently it was a new idea / technology that they just got from creating the LCD-Xs that they started implementing for the 2s and the 3s.  I'm hoping that means that it the 2 will sound a bit more like the Xs, but that's just an assumption of mine.

So then I just decided to return the rev2s I bought second-hand and to just purchase a new pair of LCD2s that now come with the Fazor technology, which will be coming in a few days.  

I'll post any immediate changes that I notice, but I was told that the difference would not be night and day.  

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #2,975 of 13,140
Did the impedance of the LCD-2's change at some point from 50 to 60 ohms? I see 50 mentioned a lot, but the specs on the Audeze site state 60.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #2,976 of 13,140
  Some interesting comments about cables. I'm thinking of upgrading my setup gradually. What would be the best order to upgrade (I currently have the O2/ODAC combo). Maybe something like:

1) DAC
2) Amp
3) Cable
4) Interconnects?

Or cables first maybe?

My preferences are pretty much:

1) amp
2) dac
3) enjoy
4) cable if needed

I used the stock audeze cable, and upgraded to a handcrafted silver cable for 60€ with Neutrik connectors that sound simillar to all those jena / toxic and stuff cables. It improved the overall sound quality a bit and it made the background darker so the image and separation plus soundstage seems better.

It is rolled inside for the minimum distorsion, interferences and darker background

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2,977 of 13,140
Did the impedance of the LCD-2's change at some point from 50 to 60 ohms? I see 50 mentioned a lot, but the specs on the Audeze site state 60.

I am wondering the same thing.  Mine measure at 60 and are early Rev 2.  My best guess is that the driver change from Rev 1 to Rev 2 changed the impedance from 50 ohms to 60.  I base this on the fact that some of the reviews from when it first came out mention the 50 ohm figure (like the six moons review).

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #2,978 of 13,140
Does anyone else find the LCD 2 rev 2 with the O2/ODAC combo slightly harsh/strident for some tracks. I only listen to lossless files but certain albums sound a bit harsh, not as bad as the the Beyerdynamic T1 which I found rather more piercing and sibilant. I'm not sure if this is due to the recording or my setup. 

Especially Coldplay: Greatest Hits and Adele: Greatest Hit do not sound great with respect to the treble.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,979 of 13,140
  Does anyone else find the LCD 2 rev 2 with the O2/ODAC combo slightly harsh/strident for some tracks. I only listen to lossless files but certain albums sound a bit harsh, not as bad as the the Beyerdynamic T1 which I found rather more piercing and sibilant. I'm not sure if this is due to the recording or my setup. 

Especially Coldplay: Greatest Hits and Adele: Greatest Hit do not sound great with respect to the treble.

Yeah I did find that was the case when I first listened to the LCD 2s through my O2/ODAC. However that was when I first purchased the headphones and have not bothered to listen to them through that setup yet. I will later today and will post my findings. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,980 of 13,140
I personally don't want the new "fazor" LCD2 to sound closer to the X, part of its charm was its darker and bassier sound, by becoming that much brighter we lose a very unique and interesting headphone sound signature - even if some things improve. If I wanted a bright can I'd get a HE6 or HD800. Just me 2c

If I get around to buying one of these, I'll be buying a second hand "rev 2" of it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2,981 of 13,140
I have auditioned the rev2 in early February and bought a pair of new LCD2 with Fazor in late March. Personally I can't really tell a difference. Maybe it's just me.

If I had the chance to campare the two right next to each other maybe it would be different, but I'm glad that I don't hear any. It's definitely not night and day.

Let's see what Tyll will tell us, when he's finished his review.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2,982 of 13,140
  I personally don't want the new "fazor" LCD2 to sound closer to the X, part of its charm was its darker and bassier sound, by becoming that much brighter we lose a very unique and interesting headphone sound signature - even if some things improve. If I wanted a bright can I'd get a HE6 or HD800. Just me 2c

If I get around to buying one of these, I'll be buying a second hand "rev 2" of it.

I think your right, the charm of LCD-2 is darker and bassier sound, when LCD-2 does get to much high-frequencies (although being more realistic) - impact of slam dissapears! But I can only say this in comparason with my LCD-3 and LCD-XC. That's why i like my trio.... Each type has it's specific strenghts!

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,985 of 13,140
  I hope the LCD-2.2 doesn't become a "budget" LCD-X!

I loved the LCD2.2 so much that I ordered a LCD-X today.  The 2.2 got me hooked on the Audeze sound, now going to see if it can get better lol.   Only problem is I am going to have to sell my almost new 2.2   ;-(     .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back