Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,957 of 13,134
This is the adapter my pair of headphones came with last week.

About the headphones: I just love em. I auditioned the Rev 2 about a month back and I can't really say the new one is brighter. Maybe it's just me, but it's definitely not night and day.

I use it with a Schiit Lyr and I'm thinking about upgrading my source. I'm currently using it via the Logitech Squeezebox Touch without DAC... I know I know, not very audiophile. But I think I'll get the Bifrost and a different source soon.

What are you guys using as a source? Any recommendation would be great!

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,958 of 13,134
I had some spare wood left over from building acoustic treatments, so I slapped together a headphone stand for my LCD-2's. I'll probably build a better quality one later (and a smaller one for my D7000's).

Also, that ugly white thing is a prototype suspension headband I made out of a tube sock. It makes the headphones far far more comfortable than stock but looks a bit crappy at the moment, I'll be making a good looking version out of leather one of these days.

I would like to see the final version of the suspention headband, clever idea.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,959 of 13,134
Will do. I'm still mulling over the design. I'm trying to figure out how to make it adjustable without modifying the LCD-2's in any way.

Also, I just got some working tubes for my Quickie (RT 3S4 tubes) and sticking this between my XDA-2 and XPA-200 feeding the LCD-2's is blowing me away. I think I've finally found a setup as involving as the LCD-X WA6-SE combo I heard back at the Philly meet! These tubes seem to be a lot more colored than the stock tubes but are just awesome. Fast and smooth, slight bass emphasis and NO fatigue even with my DSP corrections that make it more balanced.

Oh god this is amazing.

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,961 of 13,134
Dear PTom,

As a believer in cable upgrades - I can honestly tell you Audeze stock cable is a simple non-isolated cable. The copper strands do only have plastic/PVC shielding. That's all... A more quality design cable (Norse/ALO/Entreq/Canare etc.) brings more micro-detail.

Ofcourse it's all about budget, but I think it's a good investment for long term... And every cable has it's own soundcharacteristic. It's what you like best - and also what's best match in your system. I do like Entreq Konstantin 2010 with my LCD-2. This cable gave me biggest level of detail in comparison with other brands of cables... But my hearing and preferencesd are different as yours. There's no universal thruth :) Hope my answer will help a bit in your quest...

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,962 of 13,134
Thanks for the reply. At what price point do you think custom cables for the LCD 2 start to outperform the stock cable? For example, say the best quality cable at $50 for the LCD2  performs similar to the stock cable and therefore would not be worth buying but maybe, for example, say the best quality $200 cable has a noticeable improvement in SQ vs stock and therefore represents the minimum investment in a cable to be worthwhile.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2,963 of 13,134
  Thanks for the reply. At what price point do you think custom cables for the LCD 2 start to outperform the stock cable? For example, say the best quality cable at $50 for the LCD2  performs similar to the stock cable and therefore would not be worth buying but maybe, for example, say the best quality $200 cable has a noticeable improvement in SQ vs stock and therefore represents the minimum investment in a cable to be worthwhile.

Well the stock cable from Audeze is 80.00.  Don't think you can upgrade for 50.00 .  Anyway after much research I ordered the Audiophile cable for Audeze from Charleston Cable company.
It is 235.00 for five foot with no sleeve and 1/4 " termination. It is shipping now so I don't have a opinion on it yet.  I was looking for a cable that could enhance detail possibly but not change sound signature in any way, especially higher frequencies.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #2,964 of 13,134
Shultzee is right, you can't hardly upgrade for a price below USD 80,= Think of a reasonable interconnect with standard length of 80cm. For your headphone you need about 3-times this length. So pricing is in this region. Ofcourse deduct 2-times costs of RCA connectors :wink: I think starting USD 200,= is a good indication. But it's not always about pricing! It's mainly material and construction that counts...

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #2,967 of 13,134
Finally I pulled the trigger in the new Violectric V281 and just preorderer one, cant wait to pair it with the 2.2s!! Expected arrival in June.

Just had a few mails with Fried from Lake People and he assured me that it will deliver lots of power!! A better version of the already brilliant Violectric V200 with balanced output must be an astonishing product.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,968 of 13,134
  How good is the Audeze stock cable and will upgrading it significantly improve SQ?

I've upgraded my stock LCD-2 cable a few weeks back. After much "internet fact finding", I went fro the Entreq Konstantin 2012 cable.
For me this turned out to be an awesome upgrade. Soundstage improved, more controlled base and better highs, without getting trying (and it looks really nice as well
biggrin.gif
 ). I'm very happy with my Entreq cable.

Of course there are many more cables out there and it all comes down to budget. One other cable to check out would be Forza Audio Works, I've ordered a Color Cable for my HE-400 and that also works real well, great build quality and top-notch customer service. I've also read good reviews about their Noire mkII cable.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,969 of 13,134
  Soundstage improved, more controlled base and better highs, without getting trying (and it looks really nice as well
biggrin.gif
 ). 

I had a similar experience with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. In addition to the mentioned traits, imaging was also improved. With the stock cable, my LCD-2 was slightly hazy in terms of imaging placement. With the Silver Dragon it became pinpoint specific with more well defined layers. I know some folks claim cable upgrades are a load of rubbish, but I also found the difference to be quite noticeable. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #2,970 of 13,134
Some interesting comments about cables. I'm thinking of upgrading my setup gradually. What would be the best order to upgrade (I currently have the O2/ODAC combo). Maybe something like:

1) DAC
2) Amp
3) Cable
4) Interconnects?

Or cables first maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back