Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,986 of 13,132
  If I wanted a bright can I'd get a HE6 or HD800. Just me 2c

The LCD-2.2 w/fazor is not bright. Take a look at all of the 2014 charts. Until recently, before Audeze confirmed the inclusion of the fazor, no one was even able to definitively prove that a change had even been made. I think you're making this out to be a far bigger deal than it actually is.   

I loved the LCD2.2 so much that I ordered a LCD-X today.

Jealous! I can see the LCD-2 being  a gateway drug as well. Enjoy!
L3000.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2,987 of 13,132
  The LCD-2.2 w/fazor is not bright. Take a look at all of the 2014 charts. Until recently, before Audeze confirmed the inclusion of the fazor, no one was even able to definitively prove that a change had even been made. I think you're making this out to be a far bigger deal than it actually is.   

L3000.gif

I agree.  Consider me addicted.  Super excited for the LCD-X and a little dismayed I will be giving up my LCD-2.   Well maybe they won't sell and I will be stuck with them.  Oh darn.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2,988 of 13,132
  Does anyone else find the LCD 2 rev 2 with the O2/ODAC combo slightly harsh/strident for some tracks. I only listen to lossless files but certain albums sound a bit harsh, not as bad as the the Beyerdynamic T1 which I found rather more piercing and sibilant. I'm not sure if this is due to the recording or my setup. 

Especially Coldplay: Greatest Hits and Adele: Greatest Hit do not sound great with respect to the treble.

Yeah I did find that was the case when I first listened to the LCD 2s through my O2/ODAC. However that was when I first purchased the headphones and have not bothered to listen to them through that setup yet. I will later today and will post my findings. 

Interesting. Do you think it's the amp or the DAC that's responsible for this?

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #2,989 of 13,132
Don't know about o2 + odac but my 2c is that an amp with a good synergy with lcd2 will add more palpable textures, bloom and musicality

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,991 of 13,132
The O2 actually drives the LCD 2s quite well. However, like you observed before, it is a bit on the harsh side and very forward with its sound range. My default setup is with the ALO Pan Am which is a tube amp so I'm used to a more rounded sound. On the o2/odac, everything sounds a lot more forward and in a sense I found it more energetic than my tube amp. Imaging was definitely not as great as the Pan Am. 

The O2/ODAC works I suppose. Where you go from that is what type of sound do you want to hear from your headphones. I prefer the Pan Am but I can definitely see why people would choose the o2/odac because of its more energetic sound. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2,992 of 13,132

L3000.gif

I'm just saying what I heard, its not a bright headphone overall you're right - I made a mistake in saying that. But its a lot brighter than the old LCD2 that I got to hear, that was brought in 2012. The bass was weaker and the overall sound was shifted upward and noticeably less laid back. They should have been able to hear there was a change because a lot of new graphs are fairly unlike the ones I see from around 2012-early 2013 in terms of flat bass to mids and the treble.
I would buy an older model LCD2 over the new LCD2 and I'd buy a HE6 over them as well - both on different sides to it in sound. Just what I feel based on my auditions.

Thats for my taste, I'm not knocking the new LCD2 at all for the overall quality, just that its lost a little of its old charm.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #2,993 of 13,132
The O2 actually drives the LCD 2s quite well. However, like you observed before, it is a bit on the harsh side and very forward with its sound range. My default setup is with the ALO Pan Am which is a tube amp so I'm used to a more rounded sound. On the o2/odac, everything sounds a lot more forward and in a sense I found it more energetic than my tube amp. Imaging was definitely not as great as the Pan Am. 

The O2/ODAC works I suppose. Where you go from that is what type of sound do you want to hear from your headphones. I prefer the Pan Am but I can definitely see why people would choose the o2/odac because of its more energetic sound. 

Among the different tubes I own with the pan am, I get a more energetic sound with the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV keeping the big bass and the medium of the Mullard CV 4010
but with more details, and in general better highs (more energetics)

For the price you can get those Russian Tubes I would give them a try

Edit : you have some from alo :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,994 of 13,132

I'm just saying what I heard, its not a bright headphone overall you're right - I made a mistake in saying that. But its a lot brighter than the old LCD2 that I got to hear, that was brought in 2012. The bass was weaker and the overall sound was shifted upward and noticeably less laid back. They should have been able to hear there was a change because a lot of new graphs are fairly unlike the ones I see from around 2012-early 2013 in terms of flat bass to mids and the treble.
I would buy an older model LCD2 over the new LCD2 and I'd buy a HE6 over them as well - both on different sides to it in sound. Just what I feel based on my auditions.

Thats for my taste, I'm not knocking the new LCD2 at all for the overall quality, just that its lost a little of its old charm

Understood, absolutely a valid take on it. Over the course of time, with the revisions, they've obviously trended in the brighter direction - not disputing that. I don't know if this has been in response to criticism or simply what they felt sounded "better". Depending on what you listen to, I suspect one could prefer different "revisions". I recall people making the same observation when the driver itself was initially updated. Personally, as someone who uses the LCD-2 as my daily listening can, I find the current sound to work very well with most types of music. I wouldn't want to give up any of the highs. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,995 of 13,132
I wouldn't want to give up any of the bass and sub bass :D

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #2,996 of 13,132
  I have auditioned the rev2 in early February and bought a pair of new LCD2 with Fazor in late March. Personally I can't really tell a difference. Maybe it's just me.

If I had the chance to campare the two right next to each other maybe it would be different, but I'm glad that I don't hear any. It's definitely not night and day.

Let's see what Tyll will tell us, when he's finished his review.

Neither did I, I listened an early bamboo rev2 version and mine is September 2013 Rosewood version, and they sound equal (friking great).

Dont think they have changed so much, just that many people thinks it has a very dark and bassier sound, and while is a bit laid back compared to others like HE-500 or HD800, it has more bass, more body, relaxed treble with good extension and great detail, and of course, that planar magnetic bass texture mmhmhmhmhmhmhmh YUMMY

I had the HE-500 for test like a month, and a friend has the HD800s, and the have a lighter (specially the HD800) sound, brighter of course.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,997 of 13,132
Neither did I, I listened an early bamboo rev2 version and mine is September 2013 Rosewood version, and they sound equal (friking great).

Dont think they have changed so much, just that many people thinks it has a very dark and bassier sound, and while is a bit laid back compared to others like HE-500 or HD800, it has more bass, more body, relaxed treble with good extension and great detail, and of course, that planar magnetic bass texture mmhmhmhmhmhmhmh YUMMY

I had the HE-500 for test like a month, and a friend has the HD800s, and the have a lighter (specially the HD800) sound, brighter of course.

The model that you have is pre-fazor though. It seems they started implementing fazor tech some time back in December 13.

And if I had any more bass in Daft Punk's "Lose yourself to dance", my ears would fall off. So I am just fine with the amount of bass I got.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #2,998 of 13,132
Ok guys, so I bought a new pair of stock cables. I got it for a reasonable price (second hand) but it doesn't seem to be a ribbon cable like my old one. I think it's the ADZ-5. First impressions are that the highs seem smoother. Has anyone here compared the ribbon cable to the ADZ-5? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #2,999 of 13,132
The old stock cable made by Canare is a better cable - but i think it was a more expensive cable to ship with the headphones. The Canare did have better isolation of seperate strands and therefore has better (micro)detail. I think you're lucky to get this cable as replacement :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back