Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,446 of 13,139

The LCD2 has by far a much more larger and more 3 dimensional soundstage than the HD650.  The reason some misinterpret the LCD2 for a small soundstage is because a lot of recordings are close-mic.  You hear this most obviously with  backup vocals...ever noticed how many female vocalists literally touch their lips to the mic...the effect of that in music - is to make it like she is whispering in your ears.

Remember, the LCD2 is more transparent than even the HD800 (even in the treble - there is more articulation to hi-hats and rides and more definition - Don't listen to the naysayers that the LCD2 is less detailed in the treble).  Your ears are where the microphone is. 

But when called for - the LCD2 will portray a simply massive soundstage - the HD650 can't compete.  When I posted about the song "November Rain" - it was an excellent recording - but I can clearly hear many of the individual samples and the processing and placement of each of those samples - I can hear the mismatch in reverb and noise floor to some of the samples...I will never be able to pick that up with the HD800.  Yet it does not get in the way of the enjoyment of the track.

Overall the LCD2 is more effective at conveying the message of music to your ears better than the HD650, and even the HD800 at that.

I laugh at summit-fi when I read their posts...they seem completely oblivious to the latest research. 
L3000.gif

Agree, Im listening to "The Beatles - Help!" Toshiba-EMI CP32-5325 which is the best version Ive ever heard of this album and the sound stage is awesome.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #2,447 of 13,139
  Thinking of getting this in the future...

I currently have Senn HD600s through Asgard [1] and HRT Music Streamer II. I was planning on upgrading to Lyr + Bifrost [Uber + USB], and getting HE-400s. But after searching through this forum all day, I'm feeling really drawn to just skip above that and upgrade to Mjolnir + Gungnir [USB], and get LCD-2. I have some questions (keep in mind I'm still fairly new and naive to this audiophile world, the only other pair of proper headphones I've owned [apart from HD600] were Ultrasones HFI-780).

1. Genres. HD600s are versatile and fairly neutral. I want something different (which is why I'm leaning towards this rather than HE-500s for example) which I've heard is also neutral. So, given this headphone's signature sound, how does it handle very busy, energetic, bombastic, cluster****y music (death metal, various electronic genres, free jazz, post-hardcore, shoegaze, etc)? (Because more 'laid back' music seems to suit my HD600s great, and I'm looking forward to what I've heard about the bass and how percussion sounds on LCD-2s)
2. How "forgiving" are LCD-2 headphones? In this comparison thread, it is mentioned that LCD-3 are forgiving on older or poorly mastered recordings, while being simultaneously detailed - what about these?

Any more thoughts on this? I think I feel quite good about these from the few responses + tonnes of searching so far, but would love to hear more. Especially interested in the genre question.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,448 of 13,139
The genres you listed sound great with the LCD2s...I was thoroughly enjoying Rage Against the Machine last night.

I think everyone has had their say.  No salesman here...you might want to look at other threads for someone to sell you their product. 
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,449 of 13,139
Originally Posted by squib323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Alright. So again I'm hearing that it is great with everything; and at its price it definitely better be! But there it does have a distinct sound, right? It will be different to my HD600s right?

All headphones have a distinct sound in my experience, and the LCD-2's are no different. They have distinct "Audeze" house sound, once you've heard an Audeze headphone you'll know what it is. It'difficult to explain. Yes, it'll be different from the HD600's, a good compliment actually. The HD600's are more similar to the HD800's in style, and the HD800's are excellent compliments to the LCD-2's (because of how different they are).

As with all headphones I recommend buying from a place with a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. There's always a chance that you won't like a headphone, even one as great as the LCD-2's.

Originally Posted by squib323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to know it will suit experimental electronic, free jazz, drums, brass textures etc. How do I go about 'compensating for the upper midrange' and changing the FR (frequency response?) though? With the correct amps, cables, or...?

I EQ. As long as you have a good EQ, it's the most accurate way to alter the FR. It also allows you to play with the sound and find exactly what you want/like.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #2,450 of 13,139

The LCD2 has by far a much more larger and more 3 dimensional soundstage than the HD650.  The reason some misinterpret the LCD2 for a small soundstage is because a lot of recordings are close-mic.  You hear this most obviously with  backup vocals...ever noticed how many female vocalists literally touch their lips to the mic...the effect of that in music - is to make it like she is whispering in your ears.

Remember, the LCD2 is more transparent than even the HD800 (even in the treble - there is more articulation to hi-hats and rides and more definition - Don't listen to the naysayers that the LCD2 is less detailed in the treble).  Your ears are where the microphone is. 

But when called for - the LCD2 will portray a simply massive soundstage - the HD650 can't compete.  When I posted about the song "November Rain" - it was an excellent recording - but I can clearly hear many of the individual samples and the processing and placement of each of those samples - I can hear the mismatch in reverb and noise floor to some of the samples...I will never be able to pick that up with the HD800.  Yet it does not get in the way of the enjoyment of the track.

Overall the LCD2 is more effective at conveying the message of music to your ears better than the HD650, and even the HD800 at that.

I laugh at summit-fi when I read their posts...they seem completely oblivious to the latest research. 
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #2,451 of 13,139

I have to respectfully disagree with this. As far as detail and an open soundstage the hd-800 smokes the lcd-2. You must have heard the hd-800 on amp/dac combo that did not synergize well. The hd-800 is very amp/dac picky. I put hundreds of hours through my lcd-2 including songs that sounded very open with other headphones, they NEVER sounded what I would call open. Imaging was excellent but closed in and intimate for sure. The denons and fostex even sounded more open and they're semi closed. Detail is not bad but I would still give it to the hd-800 even against the lcd-3. Only the stax 007 had the detail of the hd800.

Sorry can't explain it to you - many hear what I hear...I''m just gonna say this - focus on where the music actually is and not on the treble.  End of discussion.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #2,452 of 13,139
Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The genres you listed sound great with the LCD2s...I was thoroughly enjoying Rage Against the Machine last night.

I think everyone has had their say.  No salesman here...you might want to look at other threads for someone to sell you their product. 
tongue.gif

All headphones have a distinct sound in my experience, and the LCD-2's are no different. They have distinct "Audeze" house sound, once you've heard an Audeze headphone you'll know what it is. It'difficult to explain. Yes, it'll be different from the HD600's, a good compliment actually. The HD600's are more similar to the HD800's in style, and the HD800's are excellent compliments to the LCD-2's (because of how different they are).

As with all headphones I recommend buying from a place with a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. There's always a chance that you won't like a headphone, even one as great as the LCD-2's.

I EQ. As long as you have a good EQ, it's the most accurate way to alter the FR. It also allows you to play with the sound and find exactly what you want/like.

Thanks again.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #2,453 of 13,139

I beg to differ - the HD600 is a much different proposition than the HD800.  In terms of outright tonal balance - the HD800 is closer to the LCD2 - minus treble differences - run an EQ check is all I can say.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #2,455 of 13,139
Are these headphones recommended for rock and blues ect.

Clapton, Cray, Bonamassa, Dire Straits, AC/DC....ect.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #2,456 of 13,139
If you like a gritty forward more jamming sensation to your music, Grado PS500's or the older RS1, HP1/2's are great with those kind of rock.

If you want a relaxing, smooth but very laid back sipping wine and falling through your music sensation then the LCD2, 3 or possibly even the new X from what I've read would set you right.

If you listen to black, heavy and progressive metal, hook the LCD's up to a good powerful amp and let the black apocalypse surround you. Oh mannn.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #2,457 of 13,139

Well many more people hear what I hear. I also did not say anything about the treble so... If you had said you preferred the liquidy mids of the lcd I would have been with you all the way. No other headphone I have heard competes against the lcd's melty mids, whether 2 or 3. The mids are just tremendous imo. Openness and detail no way, other headphones especially the hd800 whoop them. What amp and dac were used when you listened to the hd800?  

Right, now you wanna interrogate me about the HD800s in an LCD2 appreciation thread.
confused_face_2.gif

I ran them balanced from the AGD Phoenix and Reference 7 dac.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,458 of 13,139
If you like a gritty forward more jamming sensation to your music, Grado PS500's or the older RS1, HP1/2's are great with those kind of rock.

If you want a relaxing, smooth but very laid back sipping wine and falling through your music sensation then the LCD2, 3 or possibly even the new X from what I've read would set you right.

If you listen to black, heavy and progressive metal, hook the LCD's up to a good powerful amp and let the black apocalypse surround you. Oh mannn.

I already own the RS1i and the MAD.....killer combo to say the least.....was looking for something on the other end of the spectrum....dark...but detailed.

I would not say relaxing is what I want.....I may look else where.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #2,459 of 13,139

I already own the RS1i and the MAD.....killer combo to say the least.....was looking for something on the other end of the spectrum....dark...but detailed.

I would not say relaxing is what I want.....I may look else where.

Please, I beg of you look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back