Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,416 of 13,140
I wasn't able to use the LCD-2's for very long at all when stock, and putting some kind of extra cushion increased the time to maybe an hour or two (with Senn 650 headband pad). Once I made a suspension headband for them, my comfort issues went away for the most part.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,417 of 13,140
I too had a persistence headache due to clamping force on the front side of my head. So I flatten the headband to reduce the clamping force. So far all is good and can happily enjoy my music till my hearts' contend. Just sharing my experience.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,418 of 13,140
I asked on the forum questions about EQ'ing also and Taowolf51 gave a good free tweak to improve the lcd2.2 curve to your liking
it's called Equalizer APO, which is a system-wide windows parametric EQ

Easy to use, just need a little reading to figure out how it works

Mac user :-\

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,419 of 13,140
http://evolver.fm/2013/03/19/how-to-equalize-mac-for-itunes-spotify-everything-else/

This one seems to be very complete too

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,420 of 13,140
http://evolver.fm/2013/03/19/how-to-equalize-mac-for-itunes-spotify-everything-else/

This one seems to be very complete too

Wow, thanks! 

Also people, I have noticed my scrawny neck getting stronger after using LCDs for a couple months now. The weight only feels like an issue after about 3-4 hours straight without breaks. with breaks i can wear all day no problem. My neck was a 14.5'' but 15'' now, not kidding. 

I also used to get strange dizzy/disoriented feelings from wearing big clamping headphones like the 650 and LCD2, and now i just think my face and head has gotten used to the headphones. don't get that feeling at all anymore. The LCD pads are sooo plush though. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2,421 of 13,140
  5 Hours straight? Hombre, eres mi idolo! Comfort will be my top priority for my next pair of headphones... I don't use them so often precisely for that matter. 

Yeah, well, with a little toilet break but up to 3h without removing them from my head. As I said, you can try readjusting the steps and using some smooth cloth (such as coat) in the headband to soften it, that should help a lot.

Also, +1 to the comfort as priority, mine is, Im very lucky that the Audezes are very comfy for me, but if I find a headphone uncomfy, dont care how good its sounds I will sell it (or mod it like mi K701s with the K601 headband haha).

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,422 of 13,140
I've no problem with comfort also, and actually find the lcd 2 very comfy

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,424 of 13,140
Thinking of getting this in the future...

I currently have Senn HD600s through Asgard [1] and HRT Music Streamer II. I was planning on upgrading to Lyr + Bifrost [Uber + USB], and getting HE-400s. But after searching through this forum all day, I'm feeling really drawn to just skip above that and upgrade to Mjolnir + Gungnir [USB], and get LCD-2. I have some questions (keep in mind I'm still fairly new and naive to this audiophile world, the only other pair of proper headphones I've owned [apart from HD600] were Ultrasones HFI-780).

1. Genres. HD600s are versatile and fairly neutral. I want something different (which is why I'm leaning towards this rather than HE-500s for example) which I've heard is also neutral. So, given this headphone's signature sound, how does it handle very busy, energetic, bombastic, cluster****y music (death metal, various electronic genres, free jazz, post-hardcore, shoegaze, etc)? (Because more 'laid back' music seems to suit my HD600s great, and I'm looking forward to what I've heard about the bass and how percussion sounds on LCD-2s)
2. How "forgiving" are LCD-2 headphones? In this comparison thread, it is mentioned that LCD-3 are forgiving on older or poorly mastered recordings, while being simultaneously detailed - what about these?
3. Any sibilance?
4. Are balanced cables recommended, given the Amp/DAC?

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,427 of 13,140
  Thinking of getting this in the future...

I currently have Senn HD600s through Asgard [1] and HRT Music Streamer II. I was planning on upgrading to Lyr + Bifrost [Uber + USB], and getting HE-400s. But after searching through this forum all day, I'm feeling really drawn to just skip above that and upgrade to Mjolnir + Gungnir [USB], and get LCD-2. I have some questions (keep in mind I'm still fairly new and naive to this audiophile world, the only other pair of proper headphones I've owned [apart from HD600] were Ultrasones HFI-780).

1. Genres. HD600s are versatile and fairly neutral. I want something different (which is why I'm leaning towards this rather than HE-500s for example) which I've heard is also neutral. So, given this headphone's signature sound, how does it handle very busy, energetic, bombastic, cluster****y music (death metal, various electronic genres, free jazz, post-hardcore, shoegaze, etc)? (Because more 'laid back' music seems to suit my HD600s great, and I'm looking forward to what I've heard about the bass and how percussion sounds on LCD-2s)
2. How "forgiving" are LCD-2 headphones? In this comparison thread, it is mentioned that LCD-3 are forgiving on older or poorly mastered recordings, while being simultaneously detailed - what about these?
3. Any sibilance?
4. Are balanced cables recommended, given the Amp/DAC?

With the LCD2 you can hear flaws in recordings as well as any other headphone, the difference here is that the job of the LCD2 is to highlight the actual music - so flaws in your recordings won't stick out so sorely - so you hear the music as the sound engineers/producers intended.

Fast paced music, relaxing soothing music - the LCD2 does it all.  The LCD2 reproduces what is on the recording, if the recording is sibilant - the sibilance will be heard, but not hi-lited, so you can get on with the music.

I can understand the desire for a brighter can for classical and ambient driven electronic music - but I find the LCD2s can work with those.  Balance cables is not a necessity.  Remember, the LCD2 and LCD3 are voice the same - the LCDX slightly different, from what I understand.

If you are confronted with a kickass - 1/2 million dollar stereo, would you just use it for backround music?  How might you listen to a half million dollar stereo?  This is how the LCD2s separate itself from its competitors.  Listen to it like you would a totl stereo speaker system - you will understand.  Even at low volumes, it is incredibly detailed and dynamic.  But to do that - like totl exotic 2 channel, you will need some real grunt.

I recommend you get the headphone for now and worry about amps and dacs later.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,428 of 13,140
So I'm just surfing you-tube music and I stumble across this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdKmX2BH7o

At 2:38...I heard it.

In the right channel, and it fired right into my eardrum.

That was it. 

The undeniable, absolute evidence - proving what I have been trying to say all along but no one ever listens.

They say that the LCD2s have no air, and I have once again proven them wrong.

I am shocked and stunned beyond belief.

That was the most realistic reproduction of the sound of someone farting in my face...that I have EVER heard....!!!!

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,429 of 13,140
The LCD-2's FR is a bit better suited to acoustic and classical music, but it's only slight. It does a great job with everything. However, while the FR isn't quite as suited to electronic music, a lot of its qualities are absolutely perfect for electronic music (accurate, fast, and deep bass, smooth treble, awesome texture, great transient response, and the ability to give a strong tactile kick). I believe the non-FR qualities of a headphone are the most important thing to look at as far as compatibility to a specific genre, since FR can be changed to a reasonable degree, but it's much more difficult to change a headphone's transient response or ability to render musical texture. With some FR changes I think the LCD-2's can be one of the best electronic music headphones out there (perhaps only beaten by the LCD-X or maybe LCD-3).
When I say electronic music, I'm more into the stuff that is experemental non-dance electronic music (though I do enjoy the occasional Deadmau5) which is a pretty huge range.

The LCD-2's can do pretty well with metal once the upper midrange dip is compensated for. Headphones that have more "air" will do better with the mushy, poorly made metal (separating the mush a bit better than less-airy headphones), but the LCD-2's can do drums like no other and it really can sound amazing. I'd recommend it with average quality metal or above.

Free jazz would be pretty great on the LCD-2's, they have the ability to render a lot of brass instrument texture which I consider to be very important for jazz. I don't listen to a lot of straight jazz, but I listen to a lot of jazz-fusion or jazz-inspired music. I'm listening to Hidden Orchestra at the moment, which is an electronic-jazz collective.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,430 of 13,140
Yep agree

Those tracks are absolutely awesome on lcd2.2 with great bass slams, textures etc...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09RUuTAM2H0[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5_xj_yuhs[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back