Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #2,431 of 13,140
  With the LCD2 you can hear flaws in recordings as well as any other headphone, the difference here is that the job of the LCD2 is to highlight the actual music - so flaws in your recordings won't stick out so sorely - so you hear the music as the sound engineers/producers intended.

Fast paced music, relaxing soothing music - the LCD2 does it all.  The LCD2 reproduces what is on the recording, if the recording is sibilant - the sibilance will be heard, but not hi-lited, so you can get on with the music.

I can understand the desire for a brighter can for classical and ambient driven electronic music - but I find the LCD2s can work with those.  Balance cables is not a necessity.  Remember, the LCD2 and LCD3 are voice the same - the LCDX slightly different, from what I understand.

Okay, cool thanks for the info.
Quote:
If you are confronted with a kickass - 1/2 million dollar stereo, would you just use it for backround music?  How might you listen to a half million dollar stereo?  This is how the LCD2s separate itself from its competitors.  Listen to it like you would a totl stereo speaker system - you will understand.  Even at low volumes, it is incredibly detailed and dynamic.  But to do that - like totl exotic 2 channel, you will need some real grunt.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're getting at here.
 I recommend you get the headphone for now and worry about amps and dacs later.

Really? I've heard they are quite difficult to drive, and assuming that my current setup (Asgard+HRT MSII) isn't sufficient at all...

Quote:
  The LCD-2's FR is a bit better suited to acoustic and classical music, but it's only slight. It does a great job with everything.

Alright. So again I'm hearing that it is great with everything; and at its price it definitely better be! But there it does have a distinct sound, right? It will be different to my HD600s right?
Quote:
 However, while the FR isn't quite as suited to electronic music, a lot of its qualities are absolutely perfect for electronic music (accurate, fast, and deep bass, smooth treble, awesome texture, great transient response, and the ability to give a strong tactile kick). I believe the non-FR qualities of a headphone are the most important thing to look at as far as compatibility to a specific genre, since FR can be changed to a reasonable degree, but it's much more difficult to change a headphone's transient response or ability to render musical texture. With some FR changes I think the LCD-2's can be one of the best electronic music headphones out there (perhaps only beaten by the LCD-X or maybe LCD-3).

When I say electronic music, I'm more into the stuff that is experemental non-dance electronic music (though I do enjoy the occasional Deadmau5) which is a pretty huge range.

The LCD-2's can do pretty well with metal once the upper midrange dip is compensated for. Headphones that have more "air" will do better with the mushy, poorly made metal (separating the mush a bit better than less-airy headphones), but the LCD-2's can do drums like no other and it really can sound amazing. I'd recommend it with average quality metal or above.

Free jazz would be pretty great on the LCD-2's, they have the ability to render a lot of brass instrument texture which I consider to be very important for jazz. I don't listen to a lot of straight jazz, but I listen to a lot of jazz-fusion or jazz-inspired music. I'm listening to Hidden Orchestra at the moment, which is an electronic-jazz collective.

Good to know it will suit experimental electronic, free jazz, drums, brass textures etc. How do I go about 'compensating for the upper midrange' and changing the FR (frequency response?) though? With the correct amps, cables, or...?

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,432 of 13,140
or just a little EQ to fit your preferences !!

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #2,433 of 13,140
At first when i listened to lcd2 coming from he 400's I was just missing a liitle more bass slams, Taowolf51 posted a tip to improve the FR and it worked great for me (for EDM lcd2's are awesome with details, textures)

My hifiman is collecting dust now :atsmile:

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,435 of 13,140
At first when i listened to lcd2 coming from he 400's I was just missing a liitle more bass slams, Taowolf51 posted a tip to improve the FR and it worked great for me (for EDM lcd2's are awesome with details, textures)

My hifiman is collecting dust now
atsmile.gif

Yeah I was initially thinking of getting HE-400s but am thinking more about taking this huge leap.

What was the tip by the way? Just a specific EQ?
I have HD600s coming in the mail. I will post a comparison if you would like.

Yes please! What is your Amp/DAC setup like?

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2,436 of 13,140
Comparing with hd 650's, the sound is more forward, may be a little less sound stage (what i prefer anyway)
The dynamic and bass suit my taste a lot more too (more textures and speed)

The sennheiser is not competing in the same league i.m.o

The tip is equalizer APO,

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #2,437 of 13,140
What you have to know is that there is 250 % price increasing between he 400's and lcd2 but it's not 250 % better

It adds the details, the instruments separation to wooow you and makes you addicted

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,438 of 13,140
Just need any opinion. Does anyone try HM901 or AK120 with LCD-2 rev 2? Can this player drive LCD-2?

I'm just want a simple set only player and phone, no amp, neither portable nor dektop

Thanks

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #2,439 of 13,140
I don't think anyone with an LCD2 actually use them straight out of a portable as a primary reference.  I don't think a portable will be able to power the LCD2s properly.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,443 of 13,140
Comparing with hd 650's, the sound is more forward, may be a little less sound stage (what i prefer anyway)
The dynamic and bass suit my taste a lot more too (more textures and speed)

The sennheiser is not competing in the same league i.m.o

The tip is equalizer APO,

The LCD2 has by far a much more larger and more 3 dimensional soundstage than the HD650.  The reason some misinterpret the LCD2 for a small soundstage is because a lot of recordings are close-mic.  You hear this most obviously with  backup vocals...ever noticed how many female vocalists literally touch their lips to the mic...the effect of that in music - is to make it like she is whispering in your ears.

Remember, the LCD2 is more transparent than even the HD800 (even in the treble - there is more articulation to hi-hats and rides and more definition - Don't listen to the naysayers that the LCD2 is less detailed in the treble).  Your ears are where the microphone is. 

But when called for - the LCD2 will portray a simply massive soundstage - the HD650 can't compete.  When I posted about the song "November Rain" - it was an excellent recording - but I can clearly hear many of the individual samples and the processing and placement of each of those samples - I can hear the mismatch in reverb and noise floor to some of the samples...I will never be able to pick that up with the HD800.  Yet it does not get in the way of the enjoyment of the track.

Overall the LCD2 is more effective at conveying the message of music to your ears better than the HD650, and even the HD800 at that.

I laugh at summit-fi when I read their posts...they seem completely oblivious to the latest research. 
L3000.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,444 of 13,140
I 've probably used sound stage in the wrong way, with the hd 650 I feel like the instruments are further
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back