Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #12,541 of 13,139
So I got my HD 660S's earlier in the week and have been listening to them with the LCD-2F's in an alternating fashion for the past 4 days - probably a total of 7-9 hrs total.

I am new to this hobby and bought the 660S's to take to work while the LCD-2F's will stay home. Well, I can say simply, that FOR ME The HD 660S's are some great headphones, and for ~$350 used are a screaming bargain, still a bargain at list price IMHO. The differences between the LCD-2F's and HD-660S are subtle, and just different, TO ME. I honestly can't say I like one "better" than the other. I think the quoted post above is pretty accurate regarding the differences in treble and bass between the two cans, and frankly he has done a better job than I could in describing the details.

The LCD-2F's "look" like a $1000 headphone, and the HD 660's "look" like a $400 headphone, but they both sound great and give me ABSOLUTELY equal enjoyment of all music, regardless of genre (rock, classical, jazz, vocals). The HD660S gets the nod on comfort however.

I'm not much of a tweaker, so I think I'm probably done with my quest for a "better" headphone (both the LCD-2F and HD 660S are "good enough" for me). I almost pulled the trigger on a used set of Empyrean's, but at the last minute decided do go with the HD 660S - thinking that if I felt the LCD-2F's were that much better than the Senns, then the Empyrean's might also be better than the LCD-2F's. I'm now of the opinion that the law of diminishing (non-existent?) returns is alive and well in headphoneland (slowly puts on flameproof suit and slowly backs away from the keyboard :zipper_mouth:).

I have the 660S and Sundara. I wanted to get the LCD-2F next but y'all have just about talked me out of it. If the 660 sounds just as good, I might look for something else.

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #12,542 of 13,139
Even in some of the simpler formulas I've seen to treat these headphones - there are sections of boost that with the Loki would overlap and boost sections where you need to cut - I suppose the simpler formula from Resolve might be sort of approximatable

I think anyway

I've been scouring the internet for direct testimony of the Loki with the LCD-2 to no avail

This is from Resolve:

"Required:
  • Low shelf - 100hz, +5dB
  • Pk - 750hz, -2dB, Q=2.3
  • Pk - 1600hz, +3.5dB, Q=1.41
  • Pk - 3000hz, +3.5dB, Q=1.41
  • Pk - 5600hz, -4dB, Q=3"

So for Loki that would mean:
Boost lower knob
Slight cut second knob
Boost on third knob
I wouldn't know whether to do a small cut on the last knob or just do nothing - I suppose nothing because the treble should be muted enough overall

I don't have the Loki till early March as its backordered and the LCD-2 should be here shortly to try out Un-EQed. It's kind of silly how there aren't many good options for EQ (EDIT: for MAC). It seems like Sonarworks Reference 4 headphones might be the ticket but there is a shortage of testimony on that as well and the support for that company hasn't responded to my query about their software
Thanks for this. I was trying to find these EQ settings to try them out. I absolutely do not recommend using these. The settings are completely overboard. Especially the last adjustment
makes the sound quite muffled. I'm frankly a bit shocked that Resolve considers these EQ settings an improvement. The cans sound a lot better as they are than with them.

I tried out about all the recommended EQ settings and found out that a slight boost at 4Khz, Q=0,7, +3.0 dB works best and it's best left at that - unless someone is a true basshead and wants further bass tuning, in witch case a few dB's increase at 100-125hz Q=0,7 can be used. To my taste the bass is fantastic as is, but a few dB's increase doesn't make it too much.

Oh and by the way, I simply love the LCD-2F's, with or without EQ! A great improvement over the Anandas for example.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #12,543 of 13,139
Thanks for this. I was trying to find these EQ settings to try them out. I absolutely do not recommend using these. The settings are completely overboard. Especially the last adjustment
makes the sound quite muffled. I'm frankly a bit shocked that Resolve considers these EQ settings an improvement. The cans sound a lot better as they are than with them.

I tried out about all the recommended EQ settings and found out that a slight boost at 4Khz, Q=0,7, +3.0 dB works best and it's best left at that - unless someone is a true basshead and wants further bass tuning, in witch case a few dB's increase at 100-125hz Q=0,7 can be used. To my taste the bass is fantastic as is, but a few dB's increase doesn't make it too much.

Oh and by the way, I simply love the LCD-2F's, with or without EQ! A great improvement over the Anandas for example.
Yes, EQ settings by internet talking heads are excessive and than they complain LCD-2 lacks head-stage size 🙄

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #12,544 of 13,139
I have the 660S and Sundara. I wanted to get the LCD-2F next but y'all have just about talked me out of it. If the 660 sounds just as good, I might look for something else.
If you already own the Sundara I don't see the point in getting the LCD-2 to be honest. The Sundara has a better tuning and way more comfortable. People who EQ headphones will EQ their LCD-2 to sound closer to something like a Sundara. Put your money elsewhere as you already have two good headphones, there's a whole world of tech out there!

Edit, people like the chap below are prime examples of people who own the headphone and will be dismissive because it doesn't praise the headphone, yet they'll never provide anything technical related to the headphone to back up their defensive, prob the most unhelpful people you'll find in the audio hobby, I like to call them headphone white knights, all defence, no reason or ability to back up their thoughts.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #12,545 of 13,139
This is probably a bit of an odd question, but how are you guys storing your LCD2's when you're not using them? Normally I'd just put my headphones in a drawer but where the XLR jacks stick outwards they point in the air.

I don't want to keep unplugging the cable each time time I put them away as the XLR jacks connection is quite stiff and I can see this wearing out/failing over time.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #12,546 of 13,139
This is probably a bit of an odd question, but how are you guys storing your LCD2's when you're not using them? Normally I'd just put my headphones in a drawer but where the XLR jacks stick outwards they point in the air.

I don't want to keep unplugging the cable each time time I put them away as the XLR jacks connection is quite stiff and I can see this wearing out/failing over time.
If you own the older style case I used to take the foam out and put them in there. Newer cases should close with the cable still in :raised_hands: If you don't have one grab one or might be cheaper to buy a third party pelican style case and cut the foam yourself.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #12,547 of 13,139
If you own the older style case I used to take the foam out and put them in there. Newer cases should close with the cable still in :raised_hands: If you don't have one grab one or might be cheaper to buy a third party pelican style case and cut the foam yourself.
I think I have the newer style case but doesn't look like it'll close with the cable attached without putting pressure on the XLR jacks? I guess I could cut some foam and make it work though, thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #12,548 of 13,139
I think I have the newer style case but doesn't look like it'll close with the cable attached without putting pressure on the XLR jacks? I guess I could cut some foam and make it work though, thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah you should be good, my 2017 LCD-2 have the updated case and I store them with the cables in. The XLR plugs can come loose over a year or two of constant unplugging, not always but it does happen, had it happen to an LCD-3, 3F but did have a 2010 LCD-2 that was fine, it varies but anything with detachable cables is prone to wear so best to be safe.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #12,549 of 13,139
...or just hang it on a stand and enjoy their looks 😄

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #12,550 of 13,139
... a slight boost at 4Khz, Q=0,7, +3.0 dB works best and it's best left at that - unless someone is a true basshead ...
That's spot-on the EQ I've used with my LCD-2F. When I first got them about 7 years ago it took me about 6 months of experimenting to find that this sounded just right on this headphone and I've used it ever since.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #12,551 of 13,139
That's spot-on the EQ I've used with my LCD-2F. When I first got them about 7 years ago it took me about 6 months of experimenting to find that this sounded just right on this headphone and I've used it ever since.
When I first received my LCD-2F I was using the Oratory 1990 PEQ settings. I guess I drank the "these absolutely MUST have a heavy handed EQ" to sound right kool-aide prior to receiving them and that was my mindset.

About a month or so ago I switched to the EQ you recommended to me (+4 dB @ 3800, Q=0.9) and haven't looked back. The sound is near perfect to my ears for all of the genres I listen to. Going back to the PEQ settings I was using and for lack of a better word, it just sounds "off." Closed in. Glad I took the time to listen with no EQ and with the very slight ~4k bump.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #12,552 of 13,139
When I first received my LCD-2F I was using the Oratory 1990 PEQ settings. I guess I drank the "these absolutely MUST have a heavy handed EQ" to sound right kool-aide prior to receiving them and that was my mindset.

About a month or so ago I switched to the EQ you recommended to me (+4 dB @ 3800, Q=0.9) and haven't looked back. The sound is near perfect to my ears for all of the genres I listen to. Going back to the PEQ settings I was using and for lack of a better word, it just sounds "off." Closed in. Glad I took the time to listen with no EQ and with the very slight ~4k bump.
Exactly my experience. Without ridiculous EQ proposed by internet talking heads, I find LCD-2F very open and spacious. Not like Arya but still very, very good.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #12,553 of 13,139
... About a month or so ago I switched to the EQ you recommended to me (+4 dB @ 3800, Q=0.9) and haven't looked back. The sound is near perfect to my ears for all of the genres I listen to.
Without ridiculous EQ proposed by internet talking heads, I find LCD-2F very open and spacious. Not like Arya but still very, very good.
With EQ, the difference between medicine and poison is the dosage.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr H
Back