Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #11,581 of 13,139
For rock metal, better lcd2 or lcd2 classic?
If it was my choice, and based solely on reading impressions of the LCD2 classic, I would think the greater warmth of the classic would be for me. Rock and metal at the best of time are heavily compressed, edgy and in general not really very forgiving so some warmth would be a benefit. That said, some people dislike any bite being taken out of guitars and distortion so that type of person would likely not concur.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #11,582 of 13,139
For rock metal, better lcd2 or lcd2 classic?
Since there is nothing in your profile what other headphones do you currently have or have had in the past? I noticed the Grado in your profile picture and it what I would normally suggest for listening to rock/classic rock. I don't listen to metal so I can't say what headphones they would sound good on.
Agree with @Sonic Defender that it depends on what your sonic preferences are in making a recommendation.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #11,585 of 13,139
Yes I have grado but wrapped is a bit tiring, so I was looking for the warmth audeze.
You might want to fill in your profile with some basic things like the headphones you currently have and even those that you have had in the past along with DACs and amps that you have or had. Also it good to include the genre of music that you like and what you are looking for in the sound signature of a headphone. This makes it easier to provide you with help or suggestions since anyone can just look at your profile and get a better idea of your preferences so you get a reply better tailored to you.

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #11,587 of 13,139
will my AR M2 player be sufficient to drive the LCD 2 on its own?

Yes, but not well. They really need a dedicated amp to reach their full potential. They will likely get loud enough with the AR M2, but you will lose detail, resolution, and impact without sufficient power. Even something modestly priced like the Fiio A5 will drive them much better.

Here are some specs and measurements that may help you understand your player a bit better:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/acoustic-research-ar-m2-hi-rez-portable-player-measurements

To answer your question from elsewhere, the SE846 will sound horrendous with the AR M2. Your player has an output impedance of 10 ohm while the earphones have an impedance of 4-16 ohm, depending on frequency. Ideally, you would want the headphone/earphone impedance to be 8 times that of the source impedeance, 80 ohm, in this case. With the kind of impedance mismatch between the 846 an the M2, you will hear large changes in the frequency response, upwards of 5db in the upper mids.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1090#post_12909677

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #11,589 of 13,139
many thanks for your explanations, but I understand that the LCD x is piloted quite well c is only a lower volume.

Volume and overall power are not the issue. Control and quality of sound are.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #11,591 of 13,139
I thought the AR M2 was sufficient to drive 33 hom from the LCD 2

The LCD-2 has an impedance of 70 ohm and sensitvity of 101 dB SPL/mW.
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2

Using this:
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

You can see that the AR M2 has enough power to get them loud.

But, that is not the issue.

They will likely get loud enough with the AR M2, but you will lose detail, resolution, and impact without sufficient power. Even something modestly priced like the Fiio A5 will drive them much better.

This is the subjective part: The LCD-2 doesn't sound very good (compared to how good it can sound) with so little power. I haven't heard a DAP yet that drove them well. Of course, all headphones benefit from a better amp, IMO. In the case of planars, I find they sound better with higher Vrms, even if the wattage remains low. At 3.89 Vrms (which I think is what the M2 has), the sound won't be as nice as with 10 Vrms, which I find just about ideal for them.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #11,593 of 13,139
Swapped my original (LCD-2 non fazor ) leather ear-pads with new (LCD-2 Classic) memory foam /vegan earpads and prefer them over the originals ,this are thicker around seam area/jaw bone and much softer
Sound wise ,IMHO I think they become a tad "cleaner" , micro detail seams more apparent ,low-end same

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #11,594 of 13,139
Swapped my original (LCD-2 non fazor ) leather ear-pads with new (LCD-2 Classic) memory foam /vegan earpads and prefer them over the originals ,this are thicker around seam area/jaw bone and much softer
Sound wise ,IMHO I think they become a tad "cleaner" , micro detail seams more apparent ,low-end same

Vegan pads great with 2.1s and no long-term listening session sweat issues. Those and Beyer silvery velour pads were the most comfortable I found.

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #11,595 of 13,139
Hi everyone ,soon to joint all of you Audeze junkies since I have LCD-2 rev.2 incoming and was wondering if anyone can help me find some decent silver replacement cables
Thanks
There are so many revisions, what's so special that it counts as "rev 2", why do you need silver cables (vs other kinds of cables)? The ear pads might impact the sound a lot more (just my experiene of coruse, I do not have stock (early revision) cables on mine either. Audeze made countless tweaks, the seem to be perfectionists.)

Hi, I have 2 questions: I have an AR M2 with integrated class A amp, will it be enough to drive the LCD2?
is it true that the LCD 2 is very close to the shure quality if 846?
Do you have the option to have a listen before you buy? THe LCD2 sounds horrible with a bad source ( e.g. a macbook sound card), but awesome (imho) throgh a reasonably good source ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back