Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #11,131 of 13,132
New owner of the LCD-2F, now the wallet is almost empty, wonder if any owner knows of a AMP/DAC combo, would be nice if its a little on warm side and greater still if it adds sound stage...bonus points for XLR balanced output.

Now bad news is I have very limited money, £200 at a total push.

Seen many £100 ones and there is always Ebay, might find a one for a bargain.

Long shot, but worth a trying owners of same cans.

Save your money for now would be my suggestion, I know its hard to do but it might actually be cheaper in the long run since you will not have wasted funds to get a cheap temporary solution now, even with the possibility that you can sell it down the road. The best suggestion I can make for a slightly warm amp is the Project Polaris ($250) but since you are in Europe it might be a lot more.

Since you are on a tight budget I wouldn't even consider XLR/balanced gear, to me a well designed SE amp can be just as good as or better than a poorly designed balanced amp. The few amps that I've heard that had both balanced and SE output there was no difference in either output, granted these were $2000+ amps.

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #11,132 of 13,132
I have an LCD2 (early rev 1). Honestly this is an easy to drive headphone get an O2 / ODAC combo. There will be naysayers but you will have plenty of power to spare. The LCD2, in my opinion, does well with this lean and neutral combo. I know not a warm amp, but the LCD2 already has the magic.

While my LCD2 doesn't have the soundstage of say an HD700 - they have plenty of depth. Again, my experience with my version of these headphones is that they have very good resolution. They may not appear to always, as they are a bit rolled off, but the information is there - especially the low end.

You did fine with your purchase, no need to doubt. However, if you get this combo and still want a bit warmer - sell the LCD2 and get an HD650.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #11,133 of 13,132
I have an LCD2 (early rev 1). Honestly this is an easy to drive headphone get an O2 / ODAC combo. There will be naysayers but you will have plenty of power to spare. The LCD2, in my opinion, does well with this lean and neutral combo. I know not a warm amp, but the LCD2 already has the magic.

While my LCD2 doesn't have the soundstage of say an HD700 - they have plenty of depth. Again, my experience with my version of these headphones is that they have very good resolution. They may not appear to always, as they are a bit rolled off, but the information is there - especially the low end.

You did fine with your purchase, no need to doubt. However, if you get this combo and still want a bit warmer - sell the LCD2 and get an HD650.
The problem with that is he owns the current fazor which are quite lean headphones so the O2 wouldn't go well. They don't have that warm, lush sound the 2.1 had. The 2.1 is excellent BTW.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #11,134 of 13,132
Hi, before I got Mojo for my LCD2, I used my old Fiio E09K for a while with Odac. It's pretty warm, has a decent amount of power and is really not expensive at all. I would definitely advise you to wait and save for something better, which would save you money in the long run, but I would much rather spend some money now, and look for something better later if you don't have any amp at all. I personally couldn't' enjoy the LCD2 without an amp. I would also look into Meier Audio Corda Jazz, I have heard great things about it, it costs 345 euros and is made by a European company, so shipping should be alright.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #11,135 of 13,132
Its not that easy to find stuff in UK, seen so many that will do for next year or two but either not in UK or a slow boat from China.

Aune X7 ticks many boxes but no dac, schiit jotunheim ticks every box but cost.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #11,136 of 13,132
I recently received the LCD Rev. 1 in order to do an A/B comparison with the Rev. 2.
Here are a couple of things I noticed:

- The Rev. 1 seems to add more body and weight to piano notes, which I definitely prefer over the thin, somewhat tinny presentation of the Rev. 2.
- The bass in the Rev. 1 has more quantity, a sort of a lethargic weight to it. The Rev. 2 in this regard is more controlled, accurate, and it also seems to go a bit lower in its extension.
- The high notes in the Rev. 1 are perfectly rolled off for my tastes, and this was something that I sometimes was bothered with by the Rev. 2 which can be a bit too sharp at times.
- The soundstage is more wide in the Rev. 2, but there seems to be more depth in the Rev. 1 .. however, I find this puzzling considering that the Rev. 2 has a more 3-D like effect to it (this might be because of its accentuated treble)
- The mid-range of the Rev. 1 is definitely more full and warmer than the Rev. 2 which seems somewhat more hollowed-out.
- I believe that there is just as much detail in the Rev. 1 as there is in the Rev. 2 .. and I feel that the detail in Rev. 1 is more realistic. Sounds actually sit in the background rather than always be in-your-face Rev. 2 style.
- I noticed that with the Rev. 1 I found myself turning up the volume for added enjoyment or to compensate for its somewhat narrow soundstage. With the Rev. 2 I found myself turning the volume down, and I was at times a bit timid about raising the volume up because of its treble and forward sound.

I have to note that the Rev. 1 had been quite broken in in terms of its vegan pads. These pads seems to concentrate the pressure point at the front of the ear, which is weird considering that I felt that the back-end of the pads were non-existent, floating somewhere at the back of my head. I found the leather pads of the Rev. 2 to be much more comfortable, solid, conforming, secure. Although I definitely prefer the look of the LCD Rev. 1 with its Bamboo wood and vegan pads/headband.

So at the moment I feel at a stand-still in terms of which one to keep. My gut is pressing towards the thought of keeping the Rev. 1, but logic is pointing to the Rev. 2. I wouldn't be surprised if I search for a used HD-800S if I keep the Rev. 1 as a compliment.

Any thoughts? Has anyone been in this conflicting situation?

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #11,137 of 13,132
I just bought a used HD800 to compliment my LCD-2.2F. They are so different, and both wonderfully enjoyable in different ways.

It's funny. I bought both the LCD-2 and HD800 used for $650. That must be my price, I guess. :)

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #11,138 of 13,132
I just bought a used HD800 to compliment my LCD-2.2F. They are so different, and both wonderfully enjoyable in different ways.

It's funny. I bought both the LCD-2 and HD800 used for $650. That must be my price, I guess. :)

That's funny, I own the T1 myself which is more or less the same class of headphone as an HD800. I also have an HD6XX. I almost feel like those three headphones are some sort of holy trinity, with the LCD-2, the HD800 and the HD650 (or a similar combination) you cover nearly all musical bases possible.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #11,139 of 13,132
That's funny, I own the T1 myself which is more or less the same class of headphone as an HD800. I also have an HD6XX. I almost feel like those three headphones are some sort of holy trinity, with the LCD-2, the HD800 and the HD650 (or a similar combination) you cover nearly all musical bases possible.
I would add RS2e to have the 4 horsemen: HD800, LCD-2, and HD650. With that said lately its been: HD800, HE560 (in place of LCD-2f), Ypsilon R1 (in place of RS2e) and Nhoord Red V2 (in place of HD650)

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #11,141 of 13,132
I'm a Grado noob so your wisdom is lost on me. I really oughta try more of them, along with the HE-560.
The RS2e is a very different sound signature from LCD-2, HD800, HD650. For one they really don't need an amp and you can easily mod them to tune the sound to your liking

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #11,142 of 13,132
Are the audeze LCD 2 headphones good for prog metal or should I go for hd700 or hd800?

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #11,143 of 13,132
Finally after all these years, sold my LCD 2.2 pre-fazor.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

wY6_SdDNMwNAGaffU5BdxW5fUfzw9XB9qv16Wc_aFQ0.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03456.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #11,144 of 13,132
New owner of the LCD-2F, now the wallet is almost empty, wonder if any owner knows of a AMP/DAC combo, would be nice if its a little on warm side and greater still if it adds sound stage...bonus points for XLR balanced output.
Now bad news is I have very limited money, £200 at a total push.
Here at work I use a JDS Labs Element to drive my LCD-2. No balanced output, but it is an excellent DAC and amp, best you can get in that price range. It's in your price range only if you get a "B stock" unit, which is what I did.

At home I use an Oppo HA-1 which isn't made anymore and well outside your price range.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #11,145 of 13,132
Here at work I use a JDS Labs Element to drive my LCD-2. No balanced output, but it is an excellent DAC and amp, best you can get in that price range. It's in your price range only if you get a "B stock" unit, which is what I did.

At home I use an Oppo HA-1 which isn't made anymore and well outside your price range.

Well looked at a few, about to test one (topping dx7) that should last me a year or so then will go bigger and better.

My kid comes first, but I will justify it by saying he will inherit it all lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back