Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #11,086 of 13,132
I had this 3ft cable for IEMs plusSound made for me. But it was so thick and heavy, I didn't use it much. However, when I asked them for something to bring out some muscle in my LCD-2, they suggested I send back that IEM cable and they could convert it. That intrigued me, so I did.

They also gave me a 3ft extension. :D

X6 & LCD-2 01.jpg

plusSound X6 T-Metal / LCD-2.2 Fazor

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #11,087 of 13,132
Mines was manufacture in September 2016. Looks like the place I got it from stock it for quite some time before getting it sold. And I don't see any foam between the earpads.

do you notice any crinkling sounds from either of the drivers as you put the headphones on your head?

My pair makes some driver crinkling noise as I place them on my head. I understand that the noise is the drivers flexing/deflecting due to pressure changes, but is it normal??

I'm also having my left side yoke rod screw coming loose causing the yoke rod to move. Audeze's response was to put loctite or superglue on the screw...What?!

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #11,089 of 13,132
I had this 3ft cable for IEMs plusSound made for me. But it was so thick and heavy, I didn't use it much. However, when I asked them for something to bring out some muscle in my LCD-2, they suggested I send back that IEM cable and they could convert it. That intrigued me, so I did.

They also gave me a 3ft extension. :D

plusSound X6 T-Metal / LCD-2.2 Fazor

Why was it heavy, but no longer heavy and its the same cable ?!
Yes, I always got my stuff before from PlusSound for DIY cables.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #11,090 of 13,132
Hi CBL117. Did you try tightening the screws for the left yolk?

yes, but they always backed right back out in less than an hour of wear.

I returned them to Adorama to exchange for a new pair when I noticed the wood cups were cracking!! Three issues on the same pair of headphones in less than a week is totally unacceptable. Crackling drivers, perma-loose yoke rod screw, and cracking wood cups is too much. I hope the second pair is better or I'm done with Audeze...

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #11,091 of 13,132
Why was it heavy, but no longer heavy and its the same cable ?!
Yes, I always got my stuff before from PlusSound for DIY cables.

Too heavy for IEMs. Kept pulling them out of my ear. Perfect for a full-size headphone.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #11,092 of 13,132

I returned them to Adorama to exchange for a new pair when I noticed the wood cups were cracking!! Three issues on the same pair of headphones in less than a week is totally unacceptable. Crackling drivers, perma-loose yoke rod screw, and cracking wood cups is too much. I hope the second pair is better or I'm done with Audeze...
Do you live in a really dry area? I live in Hawaii a few hundred meters from the beach and its quite humid and I've yet to have any wood product crack, but I have other issues such as corrosion to deal with.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #11,093 of 13,132
do you notice any crinkling sounds from either of the drivers as you put the headphones on your head?

My pair makes some driver crinkling noise as I place them on my head. I understand that the noise is the drivers flexing/deflecting due to pressure changes, but is it normal??

I'm also having my left side yoke rod screw coming loose causing the yoke rod to move. Audeze's response was to put loctite or superglue on the screw...What?!

No i did not noticed any crinkling sound. I contacted Audeze and they will send me a yoke replacement kit. I will see how that goes.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #11,094 of 13,132

Second pair of LCD-2 have another quality control issue. This time the yoke on the rightt side doesn't move freely. It binds in the earcup. This should have been caught in QC, especially for the price.

@Audeze WTH?

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #11,095 of 13,132
Second pair of LCD-2 have another quality control issue. This time the yoke on the rightt side doesn't move freely. It binds in the earcup. This should have been caught in QC, especially for the price.

@Audeze WTH?
Yeah I think I have the same thing on the right earcup too. It doesn't tilt the way it should, as it gets stuck in the middle because of an uneven woodcut or something. I get extremely annoyed by product imperfections, but for some reason, this doesn't bother me at all.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #11,096 of 13,132

@Audeze WTH?

May be try contacting Audeze directly and ask them to exchange you another pair instead of returning to the place you bought it from? But ya, this should have been caught in QC.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #11,097 of 13,132
May be try contacting Audeze directly and ask them to exchange you another pair instead of returning to the place you bought it from? But ya, this should have been caught in QC.
@Audeze is this a possibility? I'm local too. I would prefer not having adorama charge my credit card for the third time to get a pair of your headphones without QC issues.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #11,100 of 13,132
Last night I auditioned the LCD-3 Pre-Fazor against the LCD 2 Rev. 2 Fazor. Initial impressions surprised me:

I was nearly underwhelmed by what I heard from the LCD-3. It was simply not as engaging as the LCD-2, although I preferred its treble and mids to that of the LCD-2. Something that I could just not wrap my head around was how the bass became less prominent on the LCD-3. The bass of the LCD-2 is so much more physical, visceral, punchy, vibrant, rumbly, etc, etc.

As a whole the LCD-3 feels more balanced, but nothing really stood out to me. The mids on the LCD-2 are more forward, more intimate, and more lean. The LCD-3 does have a larger soundstage, which I believe actually gave a better sense of instrument separation and placement he LCD-3 is DEFINITELY less fatiguing than the LCD-2. I could crank up the volume on the LCD-3 like no ones business. I finally realized by doing a comparison that the LCD-2 has a ringing resonance with high pitched sounds, extended vocals.

I could go on and on about the differences between these two headphones. To me it was and is a night and day difference. What mattered to me most though was that the LCD-3 became a total softy to the music while the LCD-2 had a sense of energy, excitement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back