Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #10,936 of 13,137
So if ive got this right (and ive never heard any schiit gear), the audio gd are the more neutral of the two. Higher level of resolution. Hence higher resolution in the mids too. And when an amp like that with high resolution comes in board that allows the mids and lower end of the lcd 2 to come up rich and NOT lean.

Is that what you mean?

No. Both amps and dacs are neutral. All competent amps and dacs are neutral.

Because of electrical distortion or phase, who the hell knows... Some amps dig out details in the uppermid and some dig out details in the lower mids. Some seem to have more bass, some seem to have more treble. All are dead neutral. I vouch for this.

Do you think your LCD2s need to be thickened up or thinned out?

To me it makes not enough difference because recording difference is far more than amp difference.

Providing the amp and dac is competent, I buy on feature set.

If you knew where you wanted to go I could tell you, but it seems you are unsure.

The biggest difference to sound is going to be the headphone itself.

What are you using to drive the LCD2s?

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #10,937 of 13,137
No. Both amps and dacs are neutral. All competent amps and dacs are neutral.

Because of electrical distortion or phase, who the hell knows... Some amps dig out details in the uppermid and some dig out details in the lower mids. Some seem to have more bass, some seem to have more treble. All are dead neutral. I vouch for this.

Do you think your LCD2s need to be thickened up or thinned out?

To me it makes not enough difference because recording difference is far more than amp difference.

Providing the amp and dac is competent, I buy on feature set.

If you knew where you wanted to go I could tell you, but it seems you are unsure.

The biggest difference to sound is going to be the headphone itself.

What are you using to drive the LCD2s?

I am using a woo w2 which I have for my 'main' setup/pref of the hd800

I bought the lcd2 to "complement" the hd800

I'm seeking a decent level of resolution (doesn't have to be exceptional, but good) and to wallow and play in the rich mids and lower end that the lcd2 and planars can do. Dynamic and rich with good depth with a nice overall balance

I don't want gravy in the mids and bass but top quality flavoursome dynamic nicely coated chocolate (and not too bitter)

A sound nicely balanced that can "make my back teeth float away" if you know what I mean.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #10,938 of 13,137
The WA2 from what I gather is warmer than my Woo WA22.

For a change of pace to your LCD2s I think maybe look at Schiit gear... Solid state.

In Head Fi language, what pairs well with HD800 does not pair well with LCD2 and vice versa... Whilst I agree to a tiny extent, I still subscribe to the fact that there are far more variation in recordings.

This matching business is if you only have on headphone... Or too much money... Like me (compared to the reality of most Earthly Humans*).

* but not enough money for the Australian dream.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #10,940 of 13,137
The WA2 from what I gather is warmer than my Woo WA22.

For a change of pace to your LCD2s I think maybe look at Schiit gear... Solid state.

In Head Fi language, what pairs well with HD800 does not pair well with LCD2 and vice versa... Whilst I agree to a tiny extent, I still subscribe to the fact that there are far more variation in recordings.

This matching business is if you only have on headphone... Or too much money... Like me (compared to the reality of most Earthly Humans*).

* but not enough money for the Australian dream.
Cool. Thanks for your help

I would describe the wa2 as silky and smooth. I heard the wa22 with stock tubes briefly and did find it more punchy in nature and more powerful.

As well as for the amount I've already spent on tubes, I would not want to swap the wa2 for the wa22 for my hd800. But I can see how the wa22 could be/is a more versatile amp and would appeal with a lot of headphones.

But for the hd800 the wa2 just hits the right spot for me (price wise and sound wise) with various tubes giving some great tweaks too. Even though something like the wa5 or studio six would be great to be able to consider - and then you have the cost of the tubes.......

And to think I started with the odac/o2 3 years ago

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #10,941 of 13,137
Burson Audio make amps that pair well with the LCD-2.
I had the soloist a while ago and I really enjoyed it specifically with an arcane irdac. Exceptional synergy and value. With so many headphones.

But after upgrading from there I haven't been able to revisit the conductor or soloist and be happy with it for my hd800 or lcd2 that I tried.

I personally have found it a hard amp to match with a dac as I need some warmth to pair the soloist with. The irdac did exactly that but the sound had it's limitations and was a little too closed. But for a setup that would be about $1000 second hand -WOW!!!

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #10,943 of 13,137
Apr 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #10,944 of 13,137

Nobody had mentioned it. Thanks.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729774/suspension-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-mad-dog-alpha-dog-paradox-fostex-t50-rp-modders

PM the user of that classified to see if they still make those.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #10,945 of 13,137
No more than a day with these Adam A7Xs... Right now without plugging the KH120 speakers in... I can't tell you what the KH120 can do that I like more than the Adam A7Xs.

That's a huge statement. Guys... If you ever wonder what the better speaker is... Nuemann KH120 or Adam A7Xs... These are the titans in their price.

Gearslutz forum voted overwhelmingly KH120 is better.

I say no way not in their wildest dreams. I have the A7Xs ahead in every metric.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #10,946 of 13,137
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/729774/suspension-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-mad-dog-alpha-dog-paradox-fostex-t50-rp-modders

PM the user of that classified to see if they still make those.

i believe he does and sells them on ebay

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #10,947 of 13,137
I was thinking of this one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Leather-Head-Comfort-Cushioned-Strap-Audeze-LCD-series-/182537398097?hash=item2a8013a751:g:uZEAAOSwZVlXud5O

My only real concern is that I have a big head and I'm up close to full extension on the headphones in stock form, maybe one notch form the end, so I suspect the comfort strap won't fit?

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #10,948 of 13,137
  I was thinking of this one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Leather-Head-Comfort-Cushioned-Strap-Audeze-LCD-series-/182537398097?hash=item2a8013a751:g:uZEAAOSwZVlXud5O

My only real concern is that I have a big head and I'm up close to full extension on the headphones in stock form, maybe one notch form the end, so I suspect the comfort strap won't fit?

i think that's the same guy

but others here may KNOW if it us

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #10,949 of 13,137

i think that's the same guy

but others here may KNOW if it us

You will find him here on Head-fi @Lohb...

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back